Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I've been eyeing Stronghold 2nd Edition a lot - it seems like a perfect game for me (except that you fight trolls and orcs. I'd rather have a realistic theme). Yet: I can't quite convince myself to buy the game.
Were I to buy, it would mean I would get to play Through the Ages less.

Both of them are fairly involved games and although they have nothing in coming, owning both would mean less time to either of them.
Through the Ages is one of my favorite games so it would be a shame to see it getting less plays.

This is not about buying more games than you can possibly play, but rather buying certain games that would mean you'd play less of your favorite game.
I often buy new games, but I don't worry if they remove time from Through the Ages, as I can only play Through the Ages with a limited amount of people.

How do you handle such a situation? Buy them all and play as much of everything as possible? Wait out and play your favorites a ton before buying the next big one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the answer to: Does the game have the potential to be better than what we are already playing?

If it has the potential, it will get playtime. Whether it keeps getting playtime depends on if it really is better than the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Depends on the answer to: Does the game have the potential to be better than what we are already playing?

If it has the potential, it will get playtime. Whether it keeps getting playtime depends on if it really is better than the other games.

not necesarrily exclusively so: It also depends on how you value variance in games played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I suppose my answer is "yes," although the question seems somewhat backwards to my way of thinking (no offense intended.)

If I'm not willing to make time to play a new game in between my current favourites, then I obviously don't want it to play it that much. As such, I'm not "avoiding buying it" so much as "not wanting to buy it in the first place." I don't generally lose much sleep over games I don't want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
RHelms wrote:
How do you handle such a situation? Buy them all and play as much of everything as possible? Wait out and play your favorites a ton before buying the next big one?

Try what interests, buying what's necessary to allow that to happen. But make _very_ certain that my favorites hit the table - and that when I no longer need to play a game, I let it go to make room.

If I was finding less time to game, I'd likely cut back on what I bought, and cut back on what I kept - but I can't picture not still adding some new games in to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still looking for variety in my small collection so if a game is similar to one I already have I am willing to wait having said that I own Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet has been announced so I am quite happy to go against my own policy if something really catches my eye. If you find yourself wishing you were playing something else then its probably time to get something new. It could turn out playing a different sort of game makes that old favourite refreshing and new all over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.