28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Simple game for kids, but in-depth for adults rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1.AUDIENCE:-Family-(Young) [+] [View All]
Jeff J
msg tools
I'm looking for a new game to play with my kids that's simple enough for them to learn and play (9 and 11), but that can also have some depth and strategy to it when I play with my friends. Something along the lines of Agricola comes to mind. It has a family version and a full version. Any genre would be ok.

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to find a simple, yet in depth adventure game, too (solo, coop, or competitive). I used to love Hero Quest. How's the Pathfinder Card game?

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aladdin's Dragons has an introductory version and a "magic" version of the rules. They're played mostly the same way, but the magic version adds cards with a bit more strategic variety and changes the way obtained artifacts are used. I use that game exactly as you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff J
msg tools
Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest the original version or the card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the card game. I have it, but I've never actually played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are looking for two different recommendations: One for the kids and one for adventuring. If that's the case you might post the second question again as a general forum question. If you are looking for one game to solve all of your problems, then the answer is Mice and Mystics or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or maybe Adventure Land.

Otherwise a little more information would help. What games do you like? Which have worked with your kids in the past? You mention Agricola, which suggests (to me) that you've worked through Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, Pandemic, Carcasonne, et al.

Oh, and welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff J
msg tools
Yes, sorry. I was looking for two recommendations, but geared towards the kids. One in any genre. One specifically for adventuring. I've seen posts regarding Descent, and it's one I've been looking at. Something along those lines for adventuring would be awesome. That's how I came to look at Pathfinder Card Game.

We've played Agricola quite a bit, along with Carcasonne and Ticket to Ride. I've seen Pandemic mentioned a lot, and put some consideration into it.

The kids also played with Magic and Pokémon cards. They like the idea of collecting and building decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is good card drafting game. It's got lots of attacking. Two player game, but more packs (they are all the same) allows for three or four players.

It has free apps on iOs, Adroid, PC and Mac, so you can try before you buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was going to suggest Carcassonne, but I see you've already tried it. Then I'll suggest adding some expansions to your Carcassonne games... hehehe ;o) I've been playing this game ever since it came to America. I love it and probably own ALL of the 30+/- expansions. Each one adds a few new mechanics and strategies that add to competitiveness for adult interaction, yet each one is simple enough for adolescents to comprehend. Our Mega-Carc games sometimes last for +/- 3 hours.

I've had friends bring their 5 & 6 year old children to game sessions and we'd get them involved in Carcassonne (with parental supervision of course). They would often view it as a puzzle with square pieces and just play along enjoying themselves. One sweet young lady named Sasha, would say, "I'm putting this tile here because it fits in this hole," or "...because it looks pretty," etc. Often to the chagrin of one of the adults who would scream, "NOOOoooo, you just connected three different Farmers," or "...you just gave that person 30 points," etc. She eventually learned how to focus on only scoring points for herself. I saw her participation as having a randomizing ("loose cannon") effect on the game. It's fun for me to mentally step back occasionally and just watch the Meta-Game unfold.

Anyway, +1 for Mice and Mystics, I haven't played it, but researched it after hearing great things about it, and I met and like the guys from Plaid Hat Games at GenCon, who are fellow HeroScapers.

Also +1 for Descent: Journeys in the Dark, IF you're into medieval dungeon crawls that pit a band of heroes against orcs, and trolls, and goblins, and dragons, and creepy things. OR because of the current popularity of the new Disney produced trilogy of Star Wars movies (i.e. "The Force Awakens: Episode VII"), and the new Disney SW Theme Park under construction, ... you might consider Star Wars: Imperial Assault, which is also published by Fantasy Flights and imho just a remake of Descent with the SW theme pasted over it and set in a futuristic SciFi universe.

&obtw: Welcome to BGG. Let us know what you finally decide and why you chose it. That make for good discourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple to learn but depth/strategy: Dominion or Stone Age, but I think Dominion is probably the better choice given their draw to CCGs.

Adventure Game: Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if you'll be playing with them. At their ages, you'll probably want to be playing the overlord role because it's a weightier game. If you want a roll and move adventure themed board game,Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) is one that my boys loved at that age and played it together without an adult.

Gloomhaven might be one to keep an eye on for the future to see how kid-friendly or complex it is when it comes out, but it certainly looks to have strong RPG adventure elements where characters level up.

If Pandemic is a game you were considering, you might want to consider similar co-ops that are lighter or differently themed takes on Pandemic. My kids are loving Pandemic at 11 & 14, so I think it's a great option. For similar gameplay: Forbidden Island, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Defenders of the Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If your kids like magic you might try Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers. It's easy enough that they can even play without you. You can play up to five players at the same time. But even if it's easy to play, it's deep enough you might play with other adults that are into this kind of game of course. The ratio length_complexity/depth_strategy if one of the better I have seen a game. The game are under 30 minutes, most of the time between 5 and 10 and it's still a rich game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay.

Descent is a terrific adventure game. It does the best job of creating an rpg style dungeon crawl in board game form. You can play a long campaign that is nicely broken up into short (one hour-ish) modules. There is a ton of game in the base box, and if you end up going down the rabbit hole, there is a lot of supplementary content you can add. The Pathfinder card game is good, too, but for me is not as deep nor as captivating. Descent requires one person (you presumably) to run the monsters, so the kids would be playing cooperatively against you, which creates some pretty fun dynamics.

In general I love one vs. all games, because they are both co-operative and competitive, and I think they allow new players can find their comfort zone. Scotland Yard is still a favorite of ours and the newer Specter Ops is really fun. I think these games are thrilling with just three players.

Finally, you might give Takenoko a look. It is very similar to Ticket to Ride in complexity and is good for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Takenoko or Ticket to Ride

Small World is also good, because it is a heck of a fun time for kids, while still remaining deeply strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 is quick and fast but has depth and strategy for adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is a great adventure game. It has PvP and PvE quests in each scenario, making each game incredibly fun.

Argent: The Consortium is a blend of thematic/worker placement game. Some consider Argent as quite complex, but if your kids survive Agricola, they'll do fine in Argent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jekface wrote:
The kids also played with Magic and Pokémon cards. They like the idea of collecting and building decks.

Then you might try The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game It is an LCG, so there are many cards and decks to build with. It also has that adventure feel, as the players work together to complete a quest. Plus they can choose from over 40 expansions when buying stuff for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you make kids play argent I will call the child protection agency whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
If you make kids play argent I will call the child protection agency whistle

He graduated from Lords of Waterdeep and The Voyage of Marco Polo early!

But still, we play a house variant of Argent, which reduce the complexity of the game considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Johngee wrote:

I've had friends bring their 5 & 6 year old children to game sessions and we'd get them involved in Carcassonne (with parental supervision of course). They would often view it as a puzzle with square pieces and just play along enjoying themselves. One sweet young lady named Sasha, would say, "I'm putting this tile here because it fits in this hole," or "...because it looks pretty," etc.

Hmmm... I have this problem too. I can't play Carcassonne competitively because it kills me not to use my piece to fill in that hole perfectly even if it is to my opponent's advantage.

Mice & Mystics is perfect for playing with kids but may or may not hit a sweet spot for adults playing with adults. Depends on how your group feels about Redwall.

The first game I thought of when reading the OP was Hive. Bugs! Abstract strategy! Short! Deep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lampeter wrote:

Johngee wrote:

I've had friends bring their 5 & 6 year old children to game sessions and we'd get them involved in Carcassonne (with parental supervision of course). They would often view it as a puzzle with square pieces and just play along enjoying themselves. One sweet young lady named Sasha, would say, "I'm putting this tile here because it fits in this hole," or "...because it looks pretty," etc.

Hmmm... I have this problem too. I can't play Carcassonne competitively because it kills me not to use my piece to fill in that hole perfectly even if it is to my opponent's advantage.

(~~lol~~) - yeah, Carcassonne is a terrible game for those of us with varying levels of OCD. I find myself constantly reaching across the table to straighten out any tiles that are not in proper alignment. Inevitably, while trying to nudge one tile a little bit my clumsy fingers will bump a whole other line out of place.

Whenever my wife of or I feel compelled to fill in an empty hole just for the aesthetic value of the map and thus giving additional points to an opponent, we loudly announce that we are "Doing a Sasha." We named that maneuver after the adorable young lady who used to enhanced our gaming session with her presence.

lampeter wrote:

Mice & Mystics is perfect for playing with kids but may or may not hit a sweet spot for adults playing with adults. Depends on how your group feels about Redwall.

I haven't actually played this one yet, but I've heard good things about it from friends that have, who described it as Descent-lite. I've always thought that children would relate to it's theme after viewing any of the Disney movies with cutesy animated mice as the main characters. One drawback to bringing it into my own collection is that a woman in my extended/blended family group is deathly afraid of the very mention of "mouse" and I don't want to hear her scream if she sees it on the table.

lampeter wrote:

The first game I thought of when reading the OP was Hive. Bugs! Abstract strategy! Short! Deep!

Here's another one that I haven't tried yet, but I'll have to keep it in mind because I think my grandsons would probably relate to the "Bugs!" theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Bohnanza. I played this with my 6 and 9 yo daughters and with many adults. Great card game from the creator of Agricola, always a hit here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's moments like these when I realize how awesome my 12 year old little brother is. He's been playing Civilization: The Board Game since he was 10 (and beating me at it, embarrassingly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lampeter wrote:
Johngee wrote:

Hmmm... I have this problem too.

But how would it be a problem? - Well, especially with kids, I think it's great they are not limited by the game's rules and written aims and can think out of the box and be creative and so on. 5 & 6 year olds should play games freely anyway, not necessary always by strict rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jekface wrote:
I'm looking for a new game to play with my kids that's simple enough for them to learn and play (9 and 11), but that can also have some depth and strategy to it when I play with my friends. Something along the lines of Agricola comes to mind. It has a family version and a full version. Any genre would be ok.

I think if you use Adv. Search next to the Search Go button you'll be able to find hundreds of good games like this. Look for games from age 10+ and having a good rating - and everything else that is important for you. Games with age 10+ age recommendations almost always provide enough to think for adults as well, while they are easily playable by 9 and 11-year-olds.

(However, more demanding games that are simple enough to learn for kids but have lots of in-depth for adults might have the problem of the adult always winning because of seeing the depths of their decisions but that's another story.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mako Chan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
+2 for Takenoko
+1 for Flash Point: Fire Rescue Flash Point has a basic game and an expert game so definitely can keep things interesting for more challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad hammond
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 11 & 9 yr old girls and a 7 yr old boy. The girls really got into 7 Wonders for a bit, especially when a bunch of friends are over.
They enjoy Love Letter and Hanabi for fillers.
Marvel Legendary has had legs, but my middle one gets impatient when more than three people are playing.
Pandemic was popular for a while, and the younger one can do his own thing.
Elder Sign gets to the table regularly enough.
Been trying to get them to play Castles of Burgandy, but unfortunately we've only played it a few times.
Mice & Mystics was a bust for us. The kids just didn't get into it.
I think Between Two Cities and the upcoming Agricola printing will be our next additions.
Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.