BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: (WIP) Clear the Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pinyan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
My other game- pretty much completed - needing playtesters and some exposure before I consider kickstarter..

Inspired by Master and Commander (the movie and book series), and the very old Broadside game.

You are a Midshipman on a Privateer (or Letter of Marque) - commanding three cannon crews. 1-4 players, ages 10 and up, approx 20 minutes to teach and 20-30 minutes to play. Total cards in game about 150.

You command three cannons of different "weights" which in the past referred to the cannon ball it could fire. In my game it refers to a combination of firepower and accuracy. You have 9, 12 and 18 "pounders".

The game has 2 separate decks. The player deck has 3 kinds of cards: Ammunition, Gun Crew Skills and Officers.

The target or Ship deck has Ship cards (the physical parts of the ship - cannons and structures), Crew cards - the enemy officers, and Boarders - those brave / crazy souls who swing across to your ship.

Set up involves each player putting out their three guns all loaded and ready. Dealing cards form the player deck to each player.

The ship is set up depending on how large a ship you are attacking (based on teh number of card stacks) - and how many payers - which determines the number of cards in each stack. Top cards are turned face up.

A players turn involves firing 0 to 3 cannons, using different types of ammunition in each gun to destroy different targets (ex - Chain out of a 12 pounder can destroy a sail, cannon ball out of an 18 pounder destroys a heavy cannon). Skill cards and officers are also used to augment the attack - and then bracing for a counterattack from the cards left face up.

In solo mode, you are on your own.
With 2-3 players you can all be on the same ship, and can trade certain cards at the start of your turn.

With 4 players you can play in pairs as 2 gun crews on 2 ships surrounding the target.

Teh counterattack can involve the enemy ship firing cannons to damage yours, or sending boarders over to melee with your gun crews. Too much damage or fighting and your cannons are disabled or destroyed. Lose all three cannons and you are out of the game.

But - if you can create enough leaks in the enemy ship, you will win.

I have been working on creating a difficulty track - creating ships of different size and tailoring their decsk to add a littel more flavor.

I have a prototype deck created for playtesting, rules etc.

Looking to get quotes on art, graphic layout, editing

crispygamesco

any comments welcome on if this post was descriptive enough or referrals for the above.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pinyan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Ran playtest session at a local game convention (Dreamation in morristown NJ)

3 players, 4 stacked frigate, 10 cards. (for 3its really supposed to be 12)

then ran it again at work.

Side Arms became an issue - in that they could only be used against boarders that were on your won ship. If you are good about picking targets - you dont really get any.

So I changed the card to allow you to avoid boarder attacks

I added additional officer and ship cards to what would likely be an expansion - since I cannot let the base game get carried away - too many cards / art etc.

I can include these as promos or stretch goals if/when I go to kickstarter.

for now - I have updated all cards and will be setting up for print on demand. Game is available now as a MS publisher file or can be sent as a pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.