Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are having some work done to our back room that will double as a dining room. It is a big room next to the kitchen, it was supposed to be a bedroom, it had a long siding door closet which currently holds 2 large metal shelves of games, but we are turning it into a game room/ dining room.

So I wanted ideas on how to decorate it. We need to buy a light for the ceiling, what should I look for to create the least amount of glare on the games? For the walls, I want to put up pictures of me from some conventions, I have some hooks that I am hanging all of my gaming badges from all the conventions I have been to.... but I want some other gamer-y stuff to put on the walls... they have a lot of video game stuff to put up there, pacman ect.. but any ideas or sites of other things to make it look great?? Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a couch get some of these

I have some and they are soft and look fantastic, I just wish I had a game room to put them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
The heads of vanquished opponents. It really ups the stakes for even the most leisurely of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this vintage wooden game board at a thrift store:

Stuff like this can become an interesting wall decoration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are on good terms with your local game store, you could ask for a few game promo posters, and frame them. Or why not a giant dice pouf ? A snakes and ladders mat ? Or noughts and crosses ? I know someone who made a photo frame with meeples stuck on, instead of the seventies style seashells. It looked cool. Oh. And a few guirlands. They have many in kids decoration stores. You could have a Raptordinosaur guirland, if you're a fan of that game, a pirate skull and crossbones etc if you like Jamaica

All of this, of, course, would be done in the best possible taste !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ideas for bare walls? There can only be one solution.

More Bookshelves for more games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mbmbmb
With regards to lighting the two keywords are defused and indirect, both are methods of removing the beam like intensity from a light source. Can be achieved a heap of different ways. Speak to your lighting retailer or electrician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep a look out for the a number of board games books that have some fantastic boards you can frame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
We have a bunch of geeky movie posters around the walls of our game room. Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, Doctor Who, etc. Very simple - and cheap - way to set the right mood for the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
checkedout wrote:
Ideas for bare walls? There can only be one solution.

More Bookshelves for more games!

Yeah, I think the most enticing decoration for a game room is the games themselves. Having them prominently on display on the walls seems pretty great.

Not necessarily new games, though. The ones you already have and love would do just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good opportunity to decorate with things from other interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
mb
Jump on Craigslist or go to some pawnshops and buy a couple crap electric guitars. They look great hanging on the wall.

You can find them for less than $25.

If you know someone who plays take them with you..."I'm not giving you thirty bucks for this. The frets are crap and the neck isn't straight. I'll give you $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After punching out the counters etc from new games, us the emptied counter sheets as stencils to spray paint patterns on the walls and ceiling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RL M
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can sew, game-themed quilts are cool and make unique wall-hangings. Here's an example:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on the walls in our game room, too. I am pursuing the idea of taking pictures of my games and converting them to 8 x 10 canvas images through art cow or cow cow (whoever has the 4 for $20 deal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My SO likes some of the history of gaming and my family has plenty of good memories connected to older games so I got some classic boards and laminated them into posters (risk, clue, parchessi). I also have some small floating shelves that hold one game per. So our go-to games are out and seporated. I've started to combine the two and it looks nice having a single shelf bordered by a classic board.
I also want some small shelving holding some go-to bits a little more presentable like having a nice looking sand timer out, pens, notepads, even some gaming coasters when I find some.

+1 to the diffused light comment above. The more light the better, the more it bounces around the better. I have a drop celing in my basement and it is so much easier to game there than under the fan light in the kitchen due to the light being behind that opaque plastic. I also helped my sibling set up their game room and we had a normal tall standup lamp in each corner tucked behind shelving, that turned out well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To safe shelf space, I've often combined multiple games in one box (e.g., Zooloretto and Aquaretto; two standalone versions of Carcassonne), or more often put expansions in base game boxes.

The boxes I no longer need often have very nice artwork, so I cut out the front cover and frame it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Come on Batman! Pull your weight!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this Geeklist a while back and was planning on ordering some prints for my game room:

Minimalistic posters

There's an external link in the Geeklist header to order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you wanna go down a crazy road like me, there's always original art from games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
imyourskribe wrote:
The heads of vanquished opponents. It really ups the stakes for even the most leisurely of games.

A game-room tzompantli? It could stand in for an audience. I have a row of masks to serve the same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with some old school nostalgia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that a giant shadowbox? How did you stick everyong where it is? Thats neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelia102881 wrote:
Is that a giant shadowbox? How did you stick everyong where it is? Thats neat!
Yup. I mostly glued things where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every game room needs a super hero canvass. And a juke box. A nice big stylish clock is also a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
doverboy wrote:
I saw this Geeklist a while back and was planning on ordering some prints for my game room:

Minimalistic posters

There's an external link in the Geeklist header to order.

I've got four of these in my game room and they are just awesome! Highly recommended if they're still available.

A crokinole board also makes a fine and functional decoration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.