Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think this would be a really useful feature. If board game pages mentioned if a game was out of print. What do you think?

Just a simple "Status: Out of Print or something like that. Maybe if it's out of print in certain countries, then list those specific countries.

Do you want this feature?
Poll
Would you like BGG to tell you if a game is out of print?
Yes
No
Other (explain in your reply)
      199 answers
Poll created by agentkuo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What purpose does it serve?

How would we keep it up to date?

What about a game that is out of print according to the publisher, but still has many copies available in stores?

What about a game that is in print, but no copies are available anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
OOP is a difficult term to define.

while a game may be in print it can still not be widely available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be an awesome feature if it were doable. Too bad it'd be almost impossible to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be unmanageable. Especially with Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
"Out of print" is a bit of a misnomer. Most board games aren't easily defined as "in print" or "out of print" because each printing is a discrete event.

Roads & Boats was printed in 2013. Is it in print or out of print? Well, it seems to be sold out everywhere. But wait -- CSI has one copy available for $kindaexpensive. Boardgamebliss has several copies in stock for some reason at $totallyreasonable. In print or out of print?

What you actually want to know is probably some combination of:

1. When the last printing was done. This is tracked under Versions on BGG.

2. Whether it's available at retail. Try boardgameprices.com or call your local stores.

3. Whether there is a new printing planned. Some publishers make this information freely available, some will report it if pestered, some are completely tight-lipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, this is impossible to define accurately, and, aside from that, impossible to keep the record up to date (even if the definition of "out of print" were clear).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes is OOP in English and widely available in other languages... It's really had to track such status...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I don't think it would be worth devoting the time and effort towards as others have stated, there are too many variables.

I think just having the editions and releases dates listed is enough for most people to figure out how difficult a game may be to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that would work well. It would be difficult logistically to pull off because a game that is out of stock in one store can be in stock elsewhere.

For example there is a small game store 40 minutes away that sometimes has games which are out of stock at the online stores. When Avengers vs. X-Men was out of stock, that's where I got my copy, plus a gravity feed. D-Day Dice is another example. Out of stock everywhere, but I was able to get a copy plus expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
A noble idea. But unfortunately, the only thing this would do is disseminate impartial or, at worst, flatly wrong information. Most games have user-created forum threads about availability that serve this function much better than a global notification ever could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. An idea that is fraught with definition issues, veracity, and other logistical issues all for a not very useful bit of information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea. Why not just put that little graph of board game price vs time against each game from http://www.spielboy.com/#

Possibly more important than OOP is, what is the current going price for this item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't you just tell by clicking on any of the major retailers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the difficulty of keeping such a listing current, I just don't see the point.

If you're interested in a game, it's pretty easy to find out if it's available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even relatively popular games get printed irregularly and infrequently. After a game is printed, it is technically "out of print" even if it is available via game stores and distributors. Slowly, the stock of a games printing will dwindle and eventually a game will become harder and harder to find at retail and those seeking a copy will have to turn towards the after market, where they may have to pay prices higher than the retail value, but that is rather unusual.

Sooooo...by out of print, I assume you mean "generally unavailable via retailers". For brick and mortar, this is very hard to track. Some local game stores will continue to have highly sought after games no longer available online well after they become hard to source. So, we would have to limit this exercise to tracking it via online stores. As mentioned above, even hard to find games will go in and out of stock via online stores as they discover pockets of stock here and there. Thus, out of stock will lack any real meaning as games go in and out of availability over time. Who will track this? Not me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Krajewski
United States
flag msg tools
No, but a little spring loaded hand holding a pie should pop out of the screen whenever a veteran recommends an essentially unobtainable perfect game to a newbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, BGG should tell you pretty much anything you could want to know about board games. That is their job. They have gotten too complacent, because nobody is threatening the livelihood of their business with a competing website.

Everyone seems to forgive BGG for not really doing much for years now, as if they'd accept that from Amazon or any other website. When a website is failing at their core mission, and succeeding is technologically possible, there is no excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
Yes, BGG should tell you pretty much anything you could want to know about board games. That is their job. They have gotten too complacent, because nobody is threatening the livelihood of their business with a competing website.

Everyone seems to forgive BGG for not really doing much for years now, as if they'd accept that from Amazon or any other website. When a website is failing at their core mission, and succeeding is technologically possible, there is no excuse.

I'm genuinely not sure whether you're being serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaaa.

PS... I have found many, many OoP games by a little research, which really means they weren't out of print, but if the BGG Minister of Print were appointed, they would have known and clarified it.

Here is the perfect opportunity to start your own boardgame site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
To me there is a huge difference between games that are in-between print runs and those that are truly out of print without plans to come back. I have patience to wait for a game if number one is the case, but if number two is the case, then there is some value to that. But I am sure that's even harder to surmise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
Can't you just tell by clicking on any of the major retailers?

Or www.boardgameprices.com

Although it's just a sampling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Even relatively popular games get printed irregularly and infrequently. After a game is printed, it is technically "out of print" even if it is available via game stores and distributors. Slowly, the stock of a games printing will dwindle and eventually a game will become harder and harder to find at retail and those seeking a copy will have to turn towards the after market, where they may have to pay prices higher than the retail value, but that is rather unusual.

Sooooo...by out of print, I assume you mean "generally available via retailers". For brick and mortar, this is very hard to track. Some local game stores will continue to have highly sought after games no longer available online well after they become hard to source. So, we would have to limit this exercise to tracking it via online stores. As mentioned above, even hard to find games will go in and out of stock via online stores as they discover pockets of stock here and there. Thus, out of stock will lack any real meaning as games go in and out of availability over time. Who will track this? Not me!

casualgod has won this thread, because he is right in every particular.

I will merely add that a sticky "Availability" thread at the top of each game's forum, with posters chiming in, would probably be the most effective, if not most elegant or accurate, way to solve this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
To me there is a huge difference between games that are in-between print runs and those that are truly out of print without plans to come back. I have patience to wait for a game if number one is the case, but if number two is the case, then there is some value to that. But I am sure that's even harder to surmise.

Note too that about 90% of the time you can just query the designer via BGG. Works a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings are arbitrary, weight is ill-defined, so, sure, why not this feature? laugh

Publishers like RGG will mark their games OOP, some retailers will stop listing a game, suggesting OOP, and some companies go out of business, making their games go OOP. Hope the publishers know what they're doing.

OOP does *not* mean "not available", and BGG has Amazon and eBay listings to help users find the game. That makes OOP more academic than useful, but, then, you could say that about the Date Published field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.