Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Arvin
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to get this game but I'm afraid my wife won't like it. I've watched Rahdo play it and have read and watched reviews.

I'm looking for one medium to medium-heavy game for my collection that she will play. I want to limit heavier games for her so she will remember the rules and might actually want to play. We will be playing the game as a two player and also four player with another couple. I saw where there is a two player variant that limits the map.

Her favorite game is Splendor. We tried the Voyages of Marco Polo this weekend and she really didn't like it. It was my planned heavier game for us (I didn't love it either but would try it again). She also really likes Codenames, Dixit, and Takenoko. She has been agreeable to games like Puerto Rico, Ra, Ticket to Ride. She likes more puzzle oriented games.

Thanks for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion Terra Mystica is some steps more complex than Marco Polo and way more complex than all the games you say she likes. So I wouldn't recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Georg, although I've never played Marco Polo (I would like to though). With the sole exception of Puerto Rico, not one of the games she says she likes falls into the "medium-heavy" category - and TM certainly does (I actually think it's much simpler than most a lot of people say, the game flows really quickly once you know the rules, but you do need a solid half hour of rules explanation when starting from scratch, and there are bound to be questions for the first few turns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmbmb
TM is such a wonderful game, but sadly if you did not like voyages then you will most likely not enjoy TM. They have some similar (lightly) gameplay. My wife love Voyages. Never introduced her to TM. Try Troyes. Top notch game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, my wife enjoys many of the same games your wife does and she loves Terra Mystica.

Another game that I would recommend is Viticulture, worker placement game light-medium weight. Great step in the Euro direction and the new essential edition is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Arvin
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be trying to talk myself into buying it but the reason that I think she may like it over a game like Marco Polo is that Terra Mystica doesn't have such a busy board as Marco Polo. There just seems to be stuff crammed in all kinds of places and it is somewhat overwhelming. Terra Mystica to me at least seems more streamlined and straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica isn't really like any of the games you mentions your wife loves, so I'm not so sure it would be a game for her. TM is all strategy, it's very economic (you're managing money and workers and investing them in order to up your income, which in turn will allow you to do more, and ultimately earning the most Victory Points doing so). You do have a player aid to help you keep track of everything, however whenever I teach it to someone new, they do seem to think there's a bit too much stuff to keep track of.

Have you considered Five Tribes? That has a lot more of a puzzle-element to it, yet has a set number of actions to choose between, one for each colour meeple and a few location-specific ones. Table Top featured it in one of their episodes, so you can see how it plays there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Arvin
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sounds like a no go.

I'll look at five tribes next.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiner wrote:
We tried the Voyages of Marco Polo this weekend and she really didn't like it. It was my planned heavier game for us (I didn't love it either but would try it again).

Marco Polo has some aspects in common with Terra Mystica, some aspects are different.

Marco Polo also has:
- About the same weight I'd say, maybe slightly lighter (was the game too complicated, did she feel lost? --> no TM for her)
- Also asymmetric characters/factions (many players like that)
- a pretty variable setup (so one can't execute the same strategy every game even if you get the same character/faction)
- economic considerations (do I need Workers or Coins, Coins or Camels or Gold or...?)

Marco Polo does not have:
- This "Building something up" feeling of Terra Mystica, starting with 2 small houses, ending with many big ones
- fierce competition on the board
- Deeper interaction: Interaction in Marco Polo is relativly light, in TM there is very much interaction, more blocking, more saving important things, more consideration what others might do.

Terra Mystica does not have:
- TM has a lot of possibilities to score, may feel more point-salad-ish
- Realtivly short playing time: Playing Marco Polo with 4 players plays in 100mins, TM will take up to 3h.
- forgiving gameplay: Especially early mistakes hit hard in TM. I think Marco Polo is not so cruel here.

Personally I really like Marco Polo at the moment, and I'm pretty positive that it may get maybe 10 face to face plays (which is a lot for us, as there are many games to chose from). But I don't desire to play Marco Polo online in a competetive way, while TM has almost infinite replayability for me with ~100 online games played and about 10 offline games (and more to come).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Interesting comparison Space Trucker, I really feel for trying Marco Polo out now!

But playing time up to 180 min for four player TM? When playing with unexperienced players yes (then it can also be even worse), but with a group that is used to it I'd say the 30 mins/player indicated on the box is quite spot on. As Robin is writing, TM is a heavy game to learn, but once you know it well, it flows really quickly also in my experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikaeljt wrote:
Interesting comparison Space Trucker, I really feel for trying Marco Polo out now!
As I said you'll have lower and softer interaction and I'm also not sure if Marco Polo's balance (player position, characters) would really withstand TM-style big data analysis and competetive play as well as TM - at least for my face-to-fgace game it seems fine so far. If neither of this is a no-go criteria for you: Go get/try it!

mikaeljt wrote:
But playing time up to 180 min for four player TM?

Some of my friends aren't that quick and none of them is a terra.snellman-veteran, so many quick obvious decisions aren't that obvious (and not that quick) for them. From start to end including setup 3h is realistic for us.

All in all a game of Marco Polo is not longer than 2/3 of a TM game I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About game length ...

On my side with beginners I have never experienced 180 min even at 5 players (except if you include the rule explanation). However I do not think the game shortens a lot with experienced players because they tend to be more efficient , so they play more rapidly .... but have more actions in general. My girlfriend played once a longer games ... with apparently more AP prone player than our usual group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.