Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on Weekly Market action and how Gold tokens work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Moomaw
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just played the 5-player version for the first time last night, and my friends and I are confused as to the specifics of using the Weekly Market action.

The basic concept is clear, first you get +4 Gold, then you may buy stuff with Gold; with the prices listed for all the items available.

The part that is confusing us is the tiny subtext "only one token per type"

I presume that means Gold tokens? This brings up questions about how Gold tokens work.

Clarification 1:
Let's say I take the Weekly Market action and it gives me +4 Gold. There is no single Gold token worth 4, so do I get to pick which tokens I get for that 4 Gold, ie can I get 4 tokens each worth 1 Gold, or 2 tokens each worth 2, or 1 token worth 2 and 2 tokens worth 1? And do I have to decide that breakdown and take the Gold tokens before making my purchasing decisions? Or can I exchange Gold tokens, let's say two tokens worth 1 each, for a Gold token worth 2, while I'm making my purchases?

Clarification 2:
Lets say I already have 6 Gold, in the form of 3 Gold tokens each worth 2, and then I use the Weekly Market action, which gives me +4 Gold. At this point can I exchange my 6 Gold and the 4 Gold I just got, for a Gold token worth 10 Gold?

Clarification 3:
All the items for sale at the Weekly Market cost 1 or 2 Gold, except the Cow which costs 3 Gold. Gold tokens come in values of 1, 2, or 10. So if I can only use 1 Gold token per type, then can I only by a cow if I have a Gold token worth 10? And then how many Cows do I get for that 10 Gold? Can I get 3 Cows and then 1 Gold as change? Can I purchase just 1 Cow and then get 7 Gold as change?

Clarification 4:
Let's say my goal is to obtain lots of Ore at the Weekly Market. Ore costs 1 Gold. What is the maximum amount of Ore I could buy?

I don't need point by point answers necessarily, I'm just curious how others interpret/implement the Weekly Market action...

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deliberate wrote:
Just played the 5-player version for the first time last night, and my friends and I are confused as to the specifics of using the Weekly Market action.

The basic concept is clear, first you get +4 Gold, then you may buy stuff with Gold; with the prices listed for all the items available.

The part that is confusing us is the tiny subtext "only one token per type"

I presume that means Gold tokens? This brings up questions about how Gold tokens work.

Clarification 1:
Let's say I take the Weekly Market action and it gives me +4 Gold. There is no single Gold token worth 4, so do I get to pick which tokens I get for that 4 Gold, ie can I get 4 tokens each worth 1 Gold, or 2 tokens each worth 2, or 1 token worth 2 and 2 tokens worth 1? And do I have to decide that breakdown and take the Gold tokens before making my purchasing decisions? Or can I exchange Gold tokens, let's say two tokens worth 1 each, for a Gold token worth 2, while I'm making my purchases?

Clarification 2:
Lets say I already have 6 Gold, in the form of 3 Gold tokens each worth 2, and then I use the Weekly Market action, which gives me +4 Gold. At this point can I exchange my 6 Gold and the 4 Gold I just got, for a Gold token worth 10 Gold?

Clarification 3:
All the items for sale at the Weekly Market cost 1 or 2 Gold, except the Cow which costs 3 Gold. Gold tokens come in values of 1, 2, or 10. So if I can only use 1 Gold token per type, then can I only by a cow if I have a Gold token worth 10? And then how many Cows do I get for that 10 Gold? Can I get 3 Cows and then 1 Gold as change? Can I purchase just 1 Cow and then get 7 Gold as change?

Clarification 4:
Let's say my goal is to obtain lots of Ore at the Weekly Market. Ore costs 1 Gold. What is the maximum amount of Ore I could buy?

I don't need point by point answers necessarily, I'm just curious how others interpret/implement the Weekly Market action...

Thanks for any help!

You've got it backwards. That note refers to the tokens you receive by purchasing things with gold at the market. There is no restriction on what gold tokens you take.

You can buy as many different things as you like at the market (you can spend more than just the 4 gold you got there), but you can't buy more than one of any individual item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Moomaw
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, yes, that makes much more sense. Thanks!

I just realized most of the the pieces are referred to as "tokens." However, it appears the instructions refer to Ore and Rubies as "gems," so I suppose technically, Ore wouldn't have the "1 per type" restriction on it since it is not a "token," but I assume the intention is that everything at the Market is "1 per."

It would be simpler if the action just said, "You can only buy one per type."

Oh well, thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.