Fields of Arle» Forums » General

Subject: Flip Tile (Tile Upgrade) Action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I am studying the rules in anticipation of purchasing the game, and one of the concepts I’m unsure about is the Flip Tile action provided by the Warden, Dike Warden, and the Berum Castle. The #4 Note on page 14 of the rules says that the Overview document contains the list of tiles that have the Arrow Symbol. And that Overview document lists the following as actions or items that can be produced via this Flip Tile action: Plow, Wagon, Horse Cart, Droshky, Dehydrated Moor, Depot, Double Stall, and Park. (Obviously, you can always purchase the listed vehicles outright, but once you've purchased their flipped counterparts, you require the Flip Tile action to convert the vehicle to one of the above.)

However, nowhere in the Equipment list in that same Overview document does it mention that the vehicles listed above can be procured via the Warden, Dike Warden, or Berum Castle. For example, it only indicates that the Plow is obtainable from the Farmer and Smithy, the Handcart and Wagon are only obtainable from the Laborer, Wainwright, or Junk Dealer’s Inn, and the Cart Horse Cart, Carriage, and Droshky are only obtainable from the Laborer, Wainwright, or Village Church. No mention of either of the Warden Actions or the Berum Castle.

Nor does it mention the Warden Actions or Berum Castle when indicating how to obtain the Double Stall or Park in the Animals section of the Overview document.

Same goes for the Rulebook. For instance, on page 14 of the rules, note 1 indicates that you can get Plows from the Farmer action, but it doesn’t mention that you can also get a Plow from the Warden or Dike Warden action.

My question is, is this simply an oversight in these documents or am I misunderstanding how the Flip Tile Action works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get those vehicles from flipping the tiles, it's just an oversight in the documents. I suppose they mean that the vehicles are only directly obtainable that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are understanding the flip action just fine. It isn't really an oversight in the documents, as you don't acquire these things from Warden/Berum Castle. The Warden/Berum etc. allow you to upgrade an existing tile/vehicle, which is different from acquiring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I get it, thanks. I guess I started doubting my understanding of the rules.

I have to admit, this is one of the better rulebooks I've read in quite a while. Aside from some of the minor translation errors, as long as you read it from start to finish, it all makes very good sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Yes! It is a good rulebook. I read it while on the drive to the beach (I wasn't driving!) and we were ready to play after arriving. (Almost) no rules questions after 1-2 readings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.