10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: self-raising flour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
An acquaintance of mine made the claim recently that in the US (which he has visited), there is no such thing as self-raising flour (or equivalent under another name).

Seems highly unlikely to me, but whilst I cannot find an explicit confirmation in assorted searches, those searches are indeed suggesting that it isn't available...

So - does it exist over there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
it exists.

if they cannot find it (seems unlikely), have them make it with AP Flour plus baking powder and a little salt. (one cup AP plus 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt = one cup self rising)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of it before, but I'm not much of a cook or baker. It looks like Wal-Mart carries it as Self-Rising Flour, so it can't be incredibly uncommon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10311315
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Excellent, that's it. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Flour growing up without parents can experience a turbulent and difficult life. Very few show the gumption and stick-to-it-tiveness to actually raise themselves. Of course its hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Flour growing up without parents can experience a turbulent and difficult life. Very few show the gumption and stick-to-it-tiveness to actually raise themselves. Of course its hard to find.

Thank you for finally making the post that I had been looking for since I first saw this thread title this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do note, that there is a difference between possible-to-get and commonly-available or used. It is indeed seldom seen or used in the US. But you can get just about anything you want, if you look hard enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
UanarchyK wrote:
Do note, that there is a difference between possible-to-get and commonly-available or used. It is indeed seldom seen or used in the US. But you can get just about anything you want, if you look hard enough.

Interesting. Any idea why it is so uncommon? I figured that as Walmart had it, it must be everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:

Uh, no. The stuff is in every grocery store, on the shelf right next to the All Purpose flour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom almost exclusively uses self-rising flour. It's very common here in the states, at least here in rural Ohio. Available in every grocery store (and Wal-Mart) and as mentioned above, found next to the all-purpose flour and other flours that might be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.