Subject: "Heimdall's Watch" + "Tyr's Prowess" issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andon Donev
Bulgaria
Varna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During our last playthrough we had an issue with this combination of Clan upgrade and battle card.

Basically the situation goes like this:

Player 1 have "Tyr's Prowess" clan upgrade (If you win a battle, you may keep any of your revealed cards, paying 1 rage each).
He initiates battle with few other players involved.

Everyone plays cards for the battle and player 1 reveals "Heimdall's Watch" (Discard all revealed cards. Gain glory equal to the total +STR revealed. Then Play new cards).

Player 1 gain the glory and after that new cards are played. With the second card this same player wins the battle.

So the question is: according to "Tyr's Prowess", is player 1 allowed to get the "Heimdall's Watch" card back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. Tyr's Prowess does not bring back a discarded card. It just allows you to pay 1 Rage to avoid discarding a card you would normally have to if you won. So cards discarded through Heimdall's Watch (including itself) are dead and gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iavor Ianakiev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiplash159 wrote:
... is player 1 allowed to get the "Heimdall's Watch" card back?

No!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I do agree with the interpretation and would prefer to play it that way... Cards doesn't " allows you to pay 1 Rage to avoid discarding" it allows you to "keep revealed cards".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
zippystar wrote:
Although I do agree with the interpretation and would prefer to play it that way... Cards doesn't " allows you to pay 1 Rage to avoid discarding" it allows you to "keep revealed cards".

But Heimdall's Watch is not a revealed card. It is a discarded card. The only "revealed" cards in play when the battle is resolved and Tyr's Prowess kicks in are the ones that are played after the discard triggered by Heimdall's Watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Iliev
Bulgaria
Varna
Varna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, that is the way we would play it as it seems more balanced.
But that is a bit of twisting the rules. The card is considered revealed during the battle and Prowess states you can return "cardS".
I would assume that its more for the "play after battle" cards but still...

That is you take the text literally

Also from other forums' issues
"By Using Tyr's Prowess you are paying rage to grab cards that were discarded AFTER the battle."

This type of interpretation is based vs Loki's Poison where the loser picks up the victor's card.

I am not sure whether I agree with this though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
zippystar wrote:

But Heimdall's Watch is not a revealed card. It is a discarded card. The only "revealed" cards in play when the battle is resolved and Tyr's Prowess kicks in are the ones that are played after the discard triggered by Heimdall's Watch.

Agree with this. The key for me is that at the time Heimdall's Watch (and other cards) are discarded, there is no winner yet. Tyr's Prowess requires you to have won the battle. By the time you have won the battle at resolution, Heimdall's watch is no longer a revealed (or played after battle) card, it is gone in the discard pile. The game doesn't retain memory of how a card was used once it is in the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. After winning a battle in age 3, could you dig through the age 2 discard pile to take back a quest card that you "revealed" in the quest phase last age, take it back, and play it again?
Once its discarded, its gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crooks
Australia
flag msg tools
The key word here is WIN. When HW is played the victor has not been decided. Therefore, the upgrade cards ability is not in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
The key for me is that at the time Heimdall's Watch (and other cards) are discarded, there is no winner yet. Tyr's Prowess requires you to have won the battle. By the time you have won the battle at resolution, Heimdall's watch is no longer a revealed (or played after battle) card, it is gone in the discard pile. The game doesn't retain memory of how a card was used once it is in the discard pile.

Exactly this!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Quote:
The key for me is that at the time Heimdall's Watch (and other cards) are discarded, there is no winner yet. Tyr's Prowess requires you to have won the battle. By the time you have won the battle at resolution, Heimdall's watch is no longer a revealed (or played after battle) card, it is gone in the discard pile. The game doesn't retain memory of how a card was used once it is in the discard pile.

But then the phrasing on the card doesn't make any sense:
"... any of your revealed cards."
For most battles, apart from maybe Heimdall's foresight, you would have access to only the last revealed card, and not any of your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atul Deshpande
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
On another point, does Tyr's Prowess prevent the Loki's poison (steal the winner's card)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
thisisenfield wrote:
Quote:

But then the phrasing on the card doesn't make any sense:
"... any of your revealed cards."
For most battles, apart from maybe Heimdall's foresight, you would have access to only the last revealed card, and not any of your cards.

Using that logic you should also be able to get revealed card of another age back. Or from a battle 5 turns ago.

I think by "Any card" it is indicated that you can't just get back your first revealed card but also the extra Heimdall's Eye/Gaze cards that you can play in addition to the "normal" battle cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andon Donev
Bulgaria
Varna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thisisenfield wrote:
On another point, does Tyr's Prowess prevent the Loki's poison (steal the winner's card)?

This issue is discussed in few other threads: here and here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.