Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The geeklist for the BEST COMBINATORIAL 2-PLAYER GAME OF 2015 - NOMINATIONS is open.

I hope a lot of people will participate this year again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I look forward to this every year! Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a perfectly serviceable excuse to force myself to play some games I have thus far ignored. I certainly enjoyed the exercise last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Klein
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Markus for setting this up: great to have this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Markus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments!

I´ve been verry busy during the last few weeks and still am. So I was thinking about not running the poll this year.

But your comments and thumbs assure me, it was the right decission.
And to be honest, it is not too much work, I just had not much energy to tackle an additonal task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
Thanks for your comments!

I´ve been verry busy during the last few weeks and still am. So I was thinking about not running the poll this year.

But your comments and thumbs assure me, it was the right decission.
And to be honest, it is not too much work, I just had not much energy to tackle an additonal task.

Perhaps the job can be passed around year-to-year, so you don't have to be responsible for all the work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Nick.

Besides arguing with users not understanding or not willing to accept the rules of the competition (which was usually distributet on several shoulders anyway) the main thing that feel like work is to tally the ballots.

In the previous years, Russ helped me to do this.
But of course new volunteers are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

I think my work was mostly simply counting the votes independently of Markus, as a simple double-check for errors.

I'm willing to do that again this year, or if someone else wants to contribute, I'm willing to pass the torch (and the fame and glory) on to a new volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

I think my work was mostly simply counting the votes independently of Markus, as a simple double-check for errors.

I'm willing to do that again this year, or if someone else wants to contribute, I'm willing to pass the torch (and the fame and glory) on to a new volunteer.

I can do it, though perhaps it would be better for someone who doesn't have a nominated game this year to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
russ wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

I can do it, though perhaps it would be better for someone who doesn't have a nominated game this year to do it.

I don´t think having a nominee must prevent you from couning the votes. I had nominated games in the past too. Everything is double-checked and the ballots will be made public, so you wouldn´t have a chance to manipulate the results.
What we did in the last year was to vote not too late, because otherwise the ballots we recieve could at least in theory influence our vote.

So I´d suggest Nick and I do it this year. And next year maybe Russ and Nick can do it and I take a breake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to throw my hat in for next year also to help Russ and Nick and possibly this year to triple count votes. Basically what I'm saying is that I'd like to help this process continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
There was sort of a dearth of abstract games this year from the community but I feel fairly confident Carnivores has this locked down, even though it was the only game I personally gave serious attention to. And it was the first game in a quite a while to have a very distinct aesthetic to its play. If Veletas was a sure thing in 2014, I feel carnivores will be much the same for 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, I'm in for helping count the votes (and whatever else is needed).

I think next year, we might consider trying to convince Little Golem (or some other online play site) to agree to implement the winner.

CoreyClark wrote:
There was sort of a dearth of abstract games this year from the community but I feel fairly confident Carnivores has this locked down, even though it was the only game I personally gave serious attention to. And it was the first game in a quite a while to have a very distinct aesthetic to its play. If Veletas was a sure thing in 2014, I feel carnivores will be much the same for 2015.

Thanks Corey. Feels very good to read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Corder
msg tools
designer
publisher
This is my first year to get involved with BGG, but I am interested to see who wins as the best Combinatorial Game for 2015. I'm not sure what all helping entails, but I'd be happy to help out if needed as well. I look forward to seeing how this turns out, Markus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

Cool, thanks; so I officially hand over vote-count double-checking to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

Cool, thanks; so I officially hand over vote-count double-checking to you.

Roger that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wittman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:

I think next year, we might consider trying to convince Little Golem (or some other online play site) to agree to implement the winner.

The problem with this is that people will just get their friends to join the site and vote for their game. I remember when I looked at the ballots last year, it was clear that the actual winner was Minoa. The winning game got at least two +3s from their fellow countrymen where they didn't even play a quarter of the finalists, and clearly just gave Minoa negative scores because it was the primary threat. Not only was Minoa actually an original game (while the winner was just a variant), but most people I discussed/played them with seemed to think it played better as well (not that the winner was bad, in fact I felt it was decent enough to get a +1 as well if I remember my ballot correctly).

None of that is an issue if you're like me and see the contest as just for fun, but it wouldn't be fair to ask one of the websites to take it seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simpledeep wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:

The problem with this is that people will just get their friends to join the site and vote for their game. I remember when I looked at the ballots last year, it was clear that the actual winner was Minoa. The winning game got at least two +3s from their fellow countrymen where they didn't even play a quarter of the finalists, and clearly just gave Minoa negative scores because it was the primary threat. Not only was Minoa actually an original game (while the winner was just a variant), but most people I discussed/played them with seemed to think it played better as well (not that the winner was bad, in fact I felt it was decent enough to get a +1 as well if I remember my ballot correctly).

None of that is an issue if you're like me and see the contest as just for fun, but it wouldn't be fair to ask one of the websites to take it seriously.

Fair point. I guess we'd need a jury rather than vote if were to have anything resembling real stakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Last year my favourite didn't win. The contest must be fixed.

In such a small niche of gaming, with such a small number of voters and so few opportunities to play it's not surprising that people who have played together and therefore have perhaps experienced a good play or bad play coincidentally might appear to be colluding but it's just a factor of having a small sample.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m glad to see that so many people are willing to help. Thank you!

For this year, Nick and I will be enough.
But it is good to know that we don´t have to worry about the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George, you´re right.
As there is only a rather small number of voters, two or three users can have a significant influence on the result.
And of course it is a pity if some baised voters lead to a questionable result.

But on the other hand, if we exclude users who personally know (or are) designers or publishers of nominated games, we must exclude almost everyone active in this forum.

The title BEST COMBINATORIAL 2-PLAYER GAME OF ... has no big value outside of our small group. And as the ballots are made public, everyone can form his own opineon.
So I think the damage caused by the "wrong" game winning is not too big.

But of course ideas for a differnt voting system to solve this problem are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Panferov
msg tools
designer
maybe you need to adopt a rules review system of some sort (there was a guy with similar ideas on the forum)
thus, making the contest multi-phased.

to encourage participants to read and learn the games better in order to give them deeper scrutiny.

and expand the contest timespan...
or even employ a rigid schedule in order to give each game equal amount of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silly_sad wrote:
maybe you need to adopt a rules review system of some sort (there was a guy with similar ideas on the forum)
thus, making the contest multi-phased.

to encourage participants to read and learn the games better in order to give them deeper scrutiny.

and expand the contest timespan...
or even employ a rigid schedule in order to give each game equal amount of gameplay.

Besides the schedule (I don´t think this would work) thats the way we do it.

Quote:
For the 10 (or more if there is a tie) games with the most thumbs, I´ll than make a poll to finally determine the winner. You will get at least three more weeks to have a closer look at the finalists before you have to submit your ballots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.