Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I just picked up Guns of Gettysburg. I'm looking at delving into the rules this week, but I was curious to know if this is any less complex than NT. I've played NT about a dozen times, but learning from the rule book was very difficult.

I have downloaded the tutorial in hopes that I can just follow along GMT playbook style to learn the ropes. Rachel's games are fantastic and unique, but that made learning NT very rough for me. Now, when I teach NT, we set it up as a team game (2-on-2) with more communication than typically allowed, so new players can ask questions and learn on the fly.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Knowing how to play NT certainly helps.

Learning GoG was a funny experience for me. The first time I played it I found it tangled and complicated. Went back to it two years later and not sure what the fuss was about. It all seemed very obvious and intuitive. I used a very helpful guide from BGG which organised the rules according to the sequence of play, and I was referring to that throughout to make sure I was remembering all the key elements.

Not sure if this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite intuitive. At first it's complex for its originality but when it clicks it's quite fast.
I have not played NT but I guess it would help learning GoG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constans wrote:

I'm not convinced that knowing NT helps - they are very different despite the apparent similarities. We all learn differently, so I imagine it would help for some but not for others.

Personally, I don't think one is easier to learn than the other. Both are full of unique concepts you won't find elsewhere, and you must slog through internalizing the rules before the game opens up. Once there, you have a marvelous game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Sphere wrote:
Constans wrote:

I'm not convinced that knowing NT helps - they are very different despite the apparent similarities.

I agree that knowledge of NT's mechanics is of little help in learning GoG. But having gone through the process of learning NT, which entailed unlearning lots of gaming conventions, was of enormous help to me in learning GoG. So, whichever you learn first will likely make learning the second much easier, though not in the way you might expect.

That said, with some confusion aside (with which Sphere was enormously helpful to me), I didn't find NT tremendously difficult to learn (which could have something to do with the fact that my gaming background is not in wargaming, which means I had fewer conventions to unlearn and fewer assumptions to unmake), and I found learning GoG and BaM thereafter to be more or less a snap. But I think I'm in the minority in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found GoG easier to learn but harder to play correctly, once learned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Hadjikyriakou
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Constans wrote:

I'm not convinced that knowing NT helps - they are very different despite the apparent similarities. We all learn differently, so I imagine it would help for some but not for others.

What I was primarily referring to here was Rachael's design philosophies and cognitive approaches to simulations which I feel are quite different from the typical wargame. Familiarity with NT helps one unlearn some wargaming habits and makes the mind more receptive to Rachael's general thinking. It didn't help me a lot, given the experience I described, but it certainly helped a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found GoG more difficult. Fortunately, there are some absolutely excellent example/ tutorial posts here, which helped me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to circle back with everyone. The rules were laid out rather well. I did see quite a difference from NT, but I did have a much easier time tackling this game (and teaching it). Thanks to everyone for the input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.