Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played Betrayal at House on the Hill and really liked it. I have never played Mansions of Madness but it seems similar in some ways and I think I might like it. I would just like to hear some opinions before I spend the hard-earned cash.

First, is Mansions a co-op game?

Which one do you think has more replay-ability?

Which one do you prefer and why?

And what would you say are the biggest differences between the two.

Thanks in advance for the opinions, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Busam
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and can address some of these questions.

First: Is it Co-op?

Mansions is a many-vs-one game from the get-go. One player runs the evils of the scenario, and the rest of the players are the investigative team working against them.

Second: Replayability?

I'm going with Betrayal here. I find the scenarios greatly diminished on a second play through in Mansions as there's little surprise left to be had.

Third: My preference.

Betrayal by a lot. Mansions with a capable player running the evil; the scenarios play very tight. One misstep can destroy the investigators. I remember one game we were the investigators and knew we were on a time limit. We pressed hard to get to a basement room in time, and skipped searching an upstairs bathroom. By chance, the key we needed to open something in the basement was in that bathroom, and by the time we realized it there was not enough time to get back up there and back. There was no need to keep playing, as it was impossible for us to win, simply because we had walked by one door.

Fourth: Differences

The feel of the games are very different. Betrayal has a light 'Scooby-Doo' mystery quality to it, whereas Mansions feels more like a deadly Chinese finger trap. Betrayal, you press in, make discoveries, and then the tilt happens and you have to find out who your supposed friend really is. Mansions feels like you're trapped in a puzzle, and have to guess what the trick is to get out. Also, it kills you if you guess wrong.

In short: if you like Betrayal and are looking for something similar, I wouldn't look at Mansions.

That's my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the insight, Andrew. Sounds like I should just stick with Betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.