Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the english manual:

"Weaver (Immediate)
Each of your tradesmen that is on an Activity card earns you 1 denier (so far everything is clear), including any on the Weaver card (that part is tricky)"

I don't quite understand how to count the deniers. The word "any" is misleading here: should I also include other players' Citizens that are present on the Weaver card? Or do I count all of my tradesman on every Activity Card and the word "any" simply relates to my Citizen placed on the Weaver?

If the latter is true, shouldn't the word "any" be replaced with "the one"? (as you can't have more than one Tradesman on a card and also you have to have a Tradesman in order to activate the card in the first place).

Please help me out with that, I don't want to use this card in a wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "any" here must mean "any of your tradesmen."

The French is "Chaque homme de métier du joueur présent sur une carte Activité lui rapporte 1 denier, y compris celui qui est placé sur la carte Tisserande."

This means "including that [the one] which is placed on the Weaver card."

I think that the use of "any" in the English as a problem with translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, everything is clear now .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
gillum wrote:

I think that the use of "any" in the English as a problem with translation.

Strictly speaking, the English is accurate, with the ambiguity really coming from a casual reading. "Any" can't refer to "tradesmen" instead of "your tradesmen" given how the first clause of the sentence is phrased.

I mean, it likely would have been preferable to phrase it such that the risk of misreading is minimized, certainly, but as someone who works with regulatory language and deals all day with both real and perceived ambiguities in phrasing I have to stand up for the translator's work on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.