Subject: Looking to start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lee
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
I'm looking to start playing the game, but I'm not sure where to even begin. Should I start by only buying the core set? Are there more ships I should buy so my first time playing is more enjoyable? I appreciate any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this topic for some ideas and pointers.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1510482/x-wing-buying-guide

Welcome to the Obsession...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need anything other than the core set. It's enough to get you hooked. You could consider getting a second core set, it's a good value and you'll need a second copy of those cards eventually. If you don't want to do that, consider 1 or 2 more X-Wings and TIE's. Although I now own many ships, I played with X-Wings vs. TIEs for the longest time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy one of the core sets. The one with Luke or the one with Poe, your choice. Play a few games and welcome to the obsession.

I'm fine. I'm just fine. A TIE punisher and K-wing are arriving today. I'm fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
I'm fine. I'm just fine. A TIE punisher and K-wing are arriving today. I'm fine.

I'm right there with you.

I may or may not have just taken possession of an Assault Carrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sinner

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I started this past fall with a Force Awakens Core Set (it had just come out), Rebel Aces, and Imperial Aces. That felt like the right amount of variety to mix-and-match and feel like we were actually building squads, while also getting a taste of what strategies we liked to inform any future purchases (yes, there have been quite a few--I think we're at just over 15 ships now).

If you have your heart set on a Millennium Falcon or Slave I, play to your tastes--but I found those starter sets to be good variety at the right price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Amazon, you can get two core sets for $25 a piece. If you can afford it, I'd say start with 2 core sets so you can run 2 X-wings against 4 Tie's. Plus, this'll give you all the dice you need without having to reroll the same dice again.

As for enjoyment of your first experiences, learn the game and try a couple quick skirmishes... and THEN as soon as possible, try the included scenarios you can run. Having a mission/objective in your games adds a LOT of fun factor to the simpler "kill the other guy" mode.

After getting two core sets, simply buy what you like. Just be sure to try to keep your Imperial and Rebel sides even in your purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leeski241 wrote:
I'm looking to start playing the game, but I'm not sure where to even begin. Should I start by only buying the core set? Are there more ships I should buy so my first time playing is more enjoyable? I appreciate any help!

Jump in head first. The water's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone! It sounds like the general consensus is to get a couple core sets, and since they're around 25 bucks on Amazon I think that may give me the best taste of it for a good value. I'm excited to try it and terrified for my poor, unsuspecting wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Edge

Oklahoma
msg tools
Joe Kenobi wrote:
My wife and I started this past fall with a Force Awakens Core Set (it had just come out), Rebel Aces, and Imperial Aces. That felt like the right amount of variety to mix-and-match and feel like we were actually building squads, while also getting a taste of what strategies we liked to inform any future purchases (yes, there have been quite a few--I think we're at just over 15 ships now).

If you have your heart set on a Millennium Falcon or Slave I, play to your tastes--but I found those starter sets to be good variety at the right price.

This is a good suggestion. The Aces packs are good value and contain some nice upgrade cards (the more you get into this the more you will buy some ships just for the upgrades without ever intending on playing the ship itself).

I know that most things can be found on Amazon rather cheaply, but if you have a local game store I would stop in and say hi. See if anyone will give you pointers, and buy from them. Put your money into the pockets of a local merchant rather than Amazon is always my philosophy, especially since I really like my local game store. Its worth the few extra bucks markup the brick and mortar store charges imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
I would buy one of the core sets. The one with Luke or the one with Poe, your choice. Play a few games and welcome to the obsession.

"Well Mrs. Caldwell, what has happened lately with your husband's... affliction?"

"He got a K-Wing and a TIE Punisher."

"Punisher! Are you certain? Was it maybe a Defender? A Phantom, perhaps?"

"No, I'm quite sure it said Punisher. Why, Doctor? What does that mean?"

"You know, there's no easy way... to..."

"Just tell me, doctor!"

"I'm afraid there's nothing we can do. He's simply too far gone."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
I started with one FA core set on a holiday sale. After learning the rules and playing a couple of games, I picked up the original core set.

From there, my methodology was "purchase ships to get up to 100 pts per side", so I picked up a Y wing and Imperial Aces.

After that, my purchases have been targeted on adding new elements to the game experience while rounding out forces. So, I picked up Rebel Aces, an A-wing, a tie interceptor,; and then to add bombs, a tie bomber and tie punisher. And to add large ships, I picked up a Falcon and a Decimator.

Welcome to the obsession. It's a fun game, and you can build up incrementally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.