Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
(Nearly) One year later File updated January 2017
Desktop version and now an Android version too.

Please thumb this thread (at top left) before you download the file(s). By thumbing you're not making me feel important, you're doing a kindness to others in months and years to come by helping them find this thread. It's not a video where it has its own section and it's not being uploaded to the file section because swf is not on the allowed list of file types so it's apt to be lost as one thread in (currently) 26 pages of threads.

The reason I ask you to do it before download is because if the file is bad it'll be like looking at your restaurant receipt and seeing you over paid: You know you'll find the time to come back and fix that problem.

Changes made Jan 2017:
Barely anything. Mainly I wanted a version for my handheld so I made the buttons bigger, covers a few words of text but nothing vital. I moved the finicky red section to an appendix. Other than that the body of the file is essentially unchanged.

It looked fine when I read through it a couple of times. Feel free to report errors.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/djsgam5vliph94l/BG_BGFW_androi...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e5qu2avvsus350b/BG_BGFW_deskto...

The zip files are encrypted. The password for each is its full file name, all 18 characters including file extension. It's unlikely anyone would want to inject malicious code into these but for peace of mind the hashes of the zip files are:
Android
MD5 : 6126CA72 1CA14E82 6CB190BC 58C21E31
SHA-1 : 4A06F05F BF9FDD44 4F9777BD 8513BBB7 19F6CB95
Desktop
MD5 : EFC7FA7C 439D3C3F ECF1EB0D 5E2B4D89
SHA-1 : 624CDEA8 CF5D840F 6CD57077 D3006141 A0D305B2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reluctant to download swf files due to security concerns. I have no problem trusting you personally, but opening an swf file is essentially like running an arbitrary executable on my computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
That's more circumspect that I'm used to seeing from you David, normally you're far more outspoken in your comments. To the best of my knowledge we're complete strangers, I've done nothing to build a foundation of trust, we have no friends or associates in common to recommend me, having a problem trusting me personally would make perfect sense.

I forget that not everyone knows that flash player is one of the most vulnerable pieces of software commonly installed. CVE maintains a scary list. Check out the 2015 spike on the left graph. http://www.cvedetails.com/product/6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.ht...

People now concerned, rightly so, about my malicious intent who wish to see the file: sandbox. Boot from CD/DVD-ROM with HDD, SSD etc disconnected, download the file then physically disconnect your Internet connection so it can't phone home. It's not hard to do and it's not like you're going to want to look at this file a lot so you're not going to have to change drives often.

Edit: I should point out, due to it being a swf, that I zipped it to prevent accidental running of the file when attempting to download it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
People now concerned, rightly so, about my malicious intent

I doubt anyone is concerned about your malicious intent. I already said that I'm not. What I'm concerned about is that the file could have malware unbeknownst to you, either introduced when you were creating it, or afterward.

Posting a digital signature wouldn't hurt, although it doesn't obviate all concerns.

Quote:
Boot from CD/DVD-ROM with HDD, SSD etc disconnected, download the file then physically disconnect your Internet connection so it can't phone home. It's not hard to do

I suspect precisely zero people are willing to do that. Opening my laptop to disconnect the hard drive already voids the warranty, for one thing. Also really easy to make a mistake and break the whole system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Good idea. Here are hashes for the zip file. An unanticipated benefit of off BGG hosting is that there now have to be two men-in-the-middle attacks to tamper with the file and the hashes which goes a small way towards easing the Two Generals Problem.

MD5 : A4087B55 B0F480EE 38ED0D7C B68A7AE6
SHA-1 : 6370B347 CA6DC85E AD89DB46 B8E562D3 B9E9AD67

(If anyone reading this thrilling duologue doesn't know what those are for, look up hash utility or file checksum.)

For this file with its small audience it may be zero but zero occurrences of a trait is unsurprising in a small population. Sandboxing with detached storage devices is something I do but I suspect I don't count as I trust my own file and have neither need nor desire to download it and run it in an isolated environment. I do have a few acquaintances who sandbox by removing hardware but they don't play BGFW. But in general there are people who will do that.

The drives in my laptops are listed as EURP so changing them does not void warranty, same for the RAM sticks. I can't argue against your skill level and hardware configuration but for my skill level and hardware configuration, disconnecting drives is a trivial action and breaking the system is a very unlikely event. Even when completely new to the task on less well organised hardware I never managed to destroy any computer so I can't characterise destruction as easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This isn't shady or suspicious at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently watched this Flash presentation and wow! Did it help learning the game... I will rewatch it soon and perhaps even take screenshots to make a static version for myself for offline reference.

Way to go Scott!

If you plan on making further ones (for more involved rules) I am all for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls