Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking using melee or ranged with multiple monsters on the square rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Goldfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I know it says to choose a target and then make your attack. I have a couple of questions I can't seem to get clear on.

1. If I am in a close space and I use melee to atttack a target and there are 2 monsters in the space do I attack them both? Or do I choose only one and attack it?

The rules state to pick a target but the rules also mention attacking multiple enemies. I have been playing that you have to attack both in the same space but I am not sure if that is right.

2. If I am in a close space and use a ranged attack are both targeted or am I again only choosing one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose one target to attack.
Unless you are using weapons/abilities that allow you to attack multiple targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark3275 wrote:
Ok I know it says to choose a target and then make your attack. I have a couple of questions I can't seem to get clear on.

1. If I am in a close space and I use melee to atttack a target and there are 2 monsters in the space do I attack them both? Or do I choose only one and attack it?

The rules state to pick a target but the rules also mention attacking multiple enemies. I have been playing that you have to attack both in the same space but I am not sure if that is right.

2. If I am in a close space and use a ranged attack are both targeted or am I again only choosing one?

The rulebook says to choose a target, so just one target per combat action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Unless you are using weapons/abilities that allow you to attack multiple targets.

Be careful though because each monster you target gets a payback reaction.
I stand corrected. see below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:

Be careful though because each monster you target gets a payback reaction.

That's not true - only one monster of those attacked will perform a payback reaction. the player to your right chooses which.
Payback is move and or attack, to the controlling player's discretion.

Unlike Guard reaction where ALL monsters attack without moving, and there's no choice involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I thought for sure the rules said they all attacked, but you're correct.

right from the rules:
Quote:
If a Hero’s attack targets more than one Monster at once, only
one of the targeted Monsters is activated; the player to the right
chooses which one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did it wrong at first as well, but caught on to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goeb
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Can you guys clarify something? When i have Monsters on thr field next to me do they attack me when i do a range attack to another monster? And do monsters in the area around the monster i do a range attack on react?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you make a ranged attack on a target that is not a close monster, then all monsters close to you will attack you as a react.

monsters close to the target do not react unless they fall in the above category. being close to the target does not trigger any reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok I need some clarification

-So if you are able to do a multiple attack it only triggers ONE monster reaction and any player reactions correct? -Character one the right chooses which monster attacks you back.

-You roll your die and everyone you are attacking gets hit with the same outcome or is it a roll for each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmberWoywitka wrote:

-So if you are able to do a multiple attack it only triggers ONE monster reaction and any player reactions correct? -Character one the right chooses which monster attacks you back.

Yes. Only one attacks, following normal Payback reaction rules

Quote:
-You roll your die and everyone you are attacking gets hit with the same outcome or is it a roll for each?

One attack roll applies to all enemies targeted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bapenrose wrote:
AmberWoywitka wrote:

Yes. Only one attacks, following normal Payback reaction rules

Hold up, let's clearify something - you are using the word "reaction", and I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

If you attack multiple targets, with a mix of monsters, or monsters and heroes, one of the monsters gets a Payback action, chosen by the player to the right.
1 - The controlling player may move and attack with a single monster. Do note may -it might be to his advantage not to attack at all.
2 - Hero characters do not get Payback actions at all.
3 - A single attack, against Monsters or Heroes may trigger multiple Guard actions from close monsters. Guard actions are mandatory, do not include a move, and all monsters whose Guard had been triggered WILL attack.

The rules for Guard reactions were stated above but briefly:
* Moving out of a close space to from a monster (immportant though not relevant to attacking)
* Attacking a Hero while being close to a Monster.
* Attacking a Monster which is not close to you, while being close to other Monsters.

So in theory, you could devise a situation where a single ranged attack will result in the hero being attacked 9 times, 8 of them Guard actions and one a Payback action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!! THAT is the clarification that I was looking for!! Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Klinton
Sweden
Mölnlycke
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:

So in theory, you could devise a situation where a single ranged attack will result in the hero being attacked 9 times, 8 of them Guard actions and one a Payback action.

To get 8 Guard reactions you need to have all for close space occupied by enemies, doesn't this create 4 block squares preventing line of sight to anything but the close tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 guard reactions is the maximum; 2 each in 3 close spaces, 1 in your own space, 1 in close space along line of sight to the target.
dont forget to count the space you are standing in as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
8 guard reactions is the maximum; 2 each in 3 close spaces, 1 in your own space, 1 in close space along line of sight to the target.
dont forget to count the space you are standing in as well.

If the target monster has enough movement it could become 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, thats the payback reaction you mention.
i was talking about guard reactions in reference to bert's post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.