Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received CCBB, and being a new comer to Carson City, I see that everything is incorporated into one rule set. So historically, is this how people play? Not knowing anything, what is the “standard” way to play? For example, after I understand the basic rules and the "first" game, do people throw all the buildings in the bag? Do players typically play with the River, or without? With horses? Etc.

I guess what I’m asking is, to all you veteran gunslingers, what is the “standard” pick-up game that has developed over all these years?

Thanks in advance!

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Eikenberry
United States
Waukegan
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite, most basic way to play is with a mix of characters and building tiles from the base set and first expansion, with or without rivers. No Cowboys, but the expansion tiles and characters create plenty of diversity for me so that each game feels pretty unique, depending on what tiles come to the queue and which characters are available. That said, I don't have the Big Box and I don't have horses, but I'm so pleased with the game as is that I'm not sure I'll spring for it ever. It's a gem, hope you enjoy exploring it so you can find your go to set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I located all the Variants and put them aside and then found in the rules where it said if its your first time playing to use xyz personality cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ruhe
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
I located all the Variants and put them aside and then found in the rules where it said if its your first time playing to use xyz personality cards.

Do this, and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*insert rant about how "Might is Right" should be the standard rule and not a variant*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Might is Right" should be the standard rule and not a variant!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Best
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might is wrong! Last time I checked, you couldn't math out how to shoot someone in the face! Plus you don't get to use the cool individually colored six shooter dice, duh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaimeb wrote:
Might is wrong! Last time I checked, you couldn't math out how to shoot someone in the face! Plus you don't get to use the cool individually colored six shooter dice, duh.

Sure you can, if you have that kind of brain, you can determine just how much firepower an opponent has in hand working from their starting amount of money. You can't know just which numbers they have, but you can get a sense of who is weak and who isn't. Which is exciting! I started with a hand of 551000 and was immediately picked on and whomped on them putting a serious damper on starting strategies!

The variable starting conditions also make you have to consider your own strategies for a given game. It's hard to go into a firepower strategy when you don't have much firepower but since you have money you can make an early VP grab or get rocking with the building building.

Way better than everyone starting even and throwing dice if you're hungry for strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Best
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tongue in cheek, holmes. Tongue firmly in cheek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.