Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think this game should retain its original Polish name for North American publication. Beer Empire sounds sophomoric and pedestrian, while Piwne Imperium sounds exotic and exciting.

What do you think?

Poll
What name should this game be published under in North America?
Piwne Imperium
Beer Empire
Other (mention in comments)
      71 answers
Poll created by MAJBrown22
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also say Piwne because being close to 50% polish it would be awesome to have it Piwne. Although I don't really speak it (my step dad is fluent). Sidenote Magnum Sal is probably one of my fav worker placement games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Keough
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get my groop to play Beer Empire much easier than Piwne Imperium.

Plus my wife won't accuse me of buying another expensive import.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always appreciate Polish games that retain their Polish names. Perhaps I am biased because my wife is from Poland, but that's okay too.

I definitely vote to keep the name as Piwne Imperium. cool

P.S. Magnum Sal is also one of my favorite games and doesn't get enough love around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dajake wrote:
I can get my groop to play Beer Empire much easier than Piwne Imperium.

Plus my wife won't accuse me of buying another expensive import.

And my group would be more inclined to play Piwne Imperium.

Fact is, they want the game to sell more, so Beer Empire it will be. Bummer, but fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other - dont mind - like N/A suggested below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Jossi
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the Imperium as well!! +1 to you for suggesting this sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys you are just amazing!
Realy! I couldn't imagine that US players will try to persuade us to leave original, Polish name of this game.
Really you are awesome guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always difficult to come up with a good international name for a game that was originally published in a local language or is vey much local-language-specific due to its theme. We at Historical Games Factory have this card game called "Bohaterowie Wyklęci" (anyone knows how to pronounce this?), which is available in Polish and English, and we decided to include both names on the box, so it has BW and The Outcast Heroes on the cover. The same with "Arka zwierzaków" aka Ark of Animals.

Since the Polish language is not very popular and few people actually understand it, or even recognize that it's Polish, it would be perfectly understandable to change the name to English. The game would sell much better in English-speaking countries, in my opinion. Another way is to try to be a bit more creative and mix the two, like "Beer Imperium" or "Imperium of Beer". The word "Piwne" doesn't mean anything to anyone who's not Polish or at least Slavic.

But hey, the very fact that American gamers tell you to keep the original name instead of translating it into their own language is really cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A local brewer, Notch, changed the name of their Cerne Pivo to Black Lager. Not Polish I know, but the idea is the same. I wished they left it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmithprimus wrote:
If you end up running this thru kickstarter and go the English title route, an early bird piwne box print (insides and gameplay the same of course) would be most excellent.

And that's what you call a great idea, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Correia
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly appreciate the will to preserve its legacy and origins by keeping the original title, and that is appealing to potential kickstarter backers.

On the other hand I didn't know what piwne meant before researching about this game, so I wouldn't identify the theme by reading the title. That might be an obstacle to a potential campaign, where I imagine the name would be quite prominent.

What an interesting situation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Czuba
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The same case was with English version of Kolejka - we left the original Polish title with English translation below.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2791215/kolejka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haragard wrote:
The same case was with English version of Kolejka - we left the original Polish title with English translation below.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2791215/kolejka

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zucho wrote:
Asmithprimus wrote:
If you end up running this thru kickstarter and go the English title route, an early bird piwne box print (insides and gameplay the same of course) would be most excellent.

And that's what you call a great idea, sir.

Yep, that is cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmithprimus wrote:
The mustachioed gentleman on the front must remain as well, he is just the best!

Also, if you could incorporate the following somehow in the rule book if this is at all accurate/spoken/real:

"heard a particular urban legend on this subject a couple of times from my teenage students. Apparently, they assured me, in medical textbooks there is a page that lists the doses of alcohol that will cause disorientation, unconsciousness, and death in the average human. Against each of these figures, they assured me, there is an asterisk(*) that refers you to a note at the bottom of the page. The note reads ‘*except Polish people.’ "

That is beautiful!

Yep, heard story that in Britannica were some definitions about alcohol and it's death leven in blood. There were some numbers and little add-on: Don't include Poles and Russian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Upkar Gata-Aura
Sweden
Järfälla
Stockholms Län
flag msg tools
Aaaaahhh'm the best singer!
badge
Bbbbbut that's not fair!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want cred from people in the forum go with Piwne, if you want to sell more games and interest people who happen to see it in a store, then an English title is a must.

Remember that Kolejka is funded and commissioned by a heritage museum, not commercial publishing interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zippy1979 wrote:
If you want cred from people in the forum go with Piwne, if you want to sell more games and interest people who happen to see it in a store, then an English title is a must.

Remember that Kolejka is funded and commissioned by a heritage museum, not commercial publishing interests.

You have 100% right.
But I think we have way that will conciliate both sides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I happen to be in Poland right now and discovered that the Polish word for beer is piwo. Piwne means brown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
So, I happen to be in Poland right now and discovered that the Polish word for beer is piwo. Piwne means brown.

But only when you are talking about the colour of someone's eyes. In all other situations "piwne" is just a regular adjective derived from the noun "piwo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Upkar Gata-Aura
Sweden
Järfälla
Stockholms Län
flag msg tools
Aaaaahhh'm the best singer!
badge
Bbbbbut that's not fair!
mbmbmbmbmb
zucho wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

But only when you are talking about the colour of someone's eyes. In all other situations "piwne" is just a regular adjective derived from the noun "piwo".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmithprimus wrote:
So what was Jason doing to get someone to comment on his eyes?!?
Huh? Huh?

Google "Anakonda 16"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.