Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from a glance and skim through some video reviews, it looks similar in it's mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dillard
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. In King is Dead, you try to arrange for a faction's area control and also use those same faction's units in your own court to gain sway in that faction. So you may end up weakening that faction on the board, by pulling the unit into your court. The players aren't the factions, so you are trying to arrange for the Welsh, Scots or Anglo-Roman factions to control areas. It's pretty interesting. It's light and quick like 8 Minute Empire, but the mechanics are vastly different. I like them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why you might think so, and I suppose in a way there are certain similarities, but overall I'd say "no."

In Eight-Minute Empire, the focus is on expansion and control. You draft cards to take action from the common tableau, and you move your guys on the board, Risk style.

In The King is Dead, everyone starts with the same set of identical cards. You don't control or own any pieces on the board. Instead, you are trying to manipulate a set of common pieces, some of which you are also trying to collect in front of you (to represent your support of that faction). The game is similar to Eight-Minute Empire in that all action is driven by a set of cards, and that you are trying to manipulate control of different regions, but in practice the games feel quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.