20 Posts

B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss» Forums » Variants

Subject: "There's a good game in there..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
I watched the Dice Tower review on B-Sieged, and I found it echos all my worries about the game from the KS (as posted here).

However, I think it's easily fixable. Here are the house rules I'm going to use if I get it, which I'm sure will make the game less random and more strategic.

Core changes:
Here are the most important things I think need to be changed - these aim to allow the players to make more strategic moves by knowing exactly how things will turn out.

- Open stashes: First, the resource decks need to be face up, and when using a building that allows to draw from them (for instance, the armory), the players get to choose which of the cards they want. This allows the players to plan ahead about how to use traps, to equip themselves with the right weapons for each hero, and allows them to make smart planning. You still draw one for each hero from the face down deck at the start of each season like normal, but once the cards are in the keep, they are face up and open knowledge.

- Normalize gold and bread: Another problem is that gold and bread are dice rolls, and while they do even out over the game, players can't count on having enough when they need to level up, use traps and so on. So, instead of rolling dice, when visiting the palace or the barn you just get 2 gold or 2 bread.

- No die roll when turning the catapult: You already have a chance to brake it when firing, no need to make it worse. Turning is still an action, but you only roll when you fire.

- Normalize boss monster: Another big problem is that the boss can come any time, and you can really just not be ready at all, and have nothing to do about it. So instead of the boss coming when you roll the same symbol three times, we'll use a different method. The best one I came up with is using the HP track as a timer that goes up at the end of each turn, after all the monsters act, and every time you roll the same symbol twice. This way there is still randomness involved in the process, but you know ahead of time when he'll show up.

Optional Stuff!
I also think there could be small changes that would make the game slightly better, easier, or smoother.

- Starting weapons: At the start of the game you draw a weapon card for each hero, and then distribute them as you see fit.

- Faster 2nd messenger: one of the problems with the game is that you can lose just by not having enough time for the messenger to go out and back - say you lose your first messenger on turn 7 - there are just not enough turns to send the second one and have him come back. So, messenger #2 moves twice each turn - this way you can still win the game even if you fumble the first one. Spawn twice as many chasers, or have them move twice as well to even this out.

- Do not worker place: The worker placement aspect of the game sounds cool, but blocking your own partners from important areas can be bad and annoying. Instead of each area accommodating a single hero, change it so two heroes can share a space.

- Cooperation bonuses: Why would going to a location where there's a different hero be bad? Instead, going to a location where a hero is present gives a bonus! Whenever you use a location a different hero is in, you gain a divine favor token; whenever you attack from a battlement alongside another hero, you roll 1 extra die.

I'm sure there are more small tweaks that can be done, but I think these are the important ones. I'm pretty sure that adding these things to the game will make it better, less random, and as awesome as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Boughton
United Kingdom
Sale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Just started my first game and the boss monster appeared on the first turn.

I had even house ruled it so you had to roll the same symbol 4 times in a row.

I will try your method next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeNothin wrote:
I watched the Dice Tower review on B-Sieged, and I found it echos all my worries about the game from the KS (as posted here).

However, I think it's easily fixable. Here are the house rules I'm going to use if I get it, which I'm sure will make the game less random and more strategic.

Core changes:
Here are the most important things I think need to be changed - these aim to allow the players to make more strategic moves by knowing exactly how things will turn out.

- Open stashes: First, the resource decks need to be face up, and when using a building that allows to draw from them (for instance, the armory), the players get to choose which of the cards they want. This allows the players to plan ahead about how to use traps, to equip themselves with the right weapons for each hero, and allows them to make smart planning. You still draw one for each hero from the face down deck at the start of each season like normal, but once the cards are in the keep, they are face up and open knowledge.

- Normalize gold and bread: Another problem is that gold and bread are dice rolls, and while they do even out over the game, players can't count on having enough when they need to level up, use traps and so on. So, instead of rolling dice, when visiting the palace or the barn you just get 2 gold or 2 bread.

- No die roll when turning the catapult: You already have a chance to brake it when firing, no need to make it worse. Turning is still an action, but you only roll when you fire.

- Normalize boss monster: Another big problem is that the boss can come any time, and you can really just not be ready at all, and have nothing to do about it. So instead of the boss coming when you roll the same symbol three times, we'll use a different method. The best one I came up with is using the HP track as a timer that goes up at the end of each turn, after all the monsters act, and every time you roll the same symbol twice. This way there is still randomness involved in the process, but you know ahead of time when he'll show up.

Optional Stuff!
I also think there could be small changes that would make the game slightly better, easier, or smoother.

- Starting weapons: At the start of the game you draw a weapon card for each hero, and then distribute them as you see fit.

- Faster 2nd messenger: one of the problems with the game is that you can lose just by not having enough time for the messenger to go out and back - say you lose your first messenger on turn 7 - there are just not enough turns to send the second one and have him come back. So, messenger #2 moves twice each turn - this way you can still win the game even if you fumble the first one. Spawn twice as many chasers, or have them move twice as well to even this out.

I'm sure there are more small tweaks that can be done, but I think these are the important ones. I'm pretty sure that adding these things to the game will make it better, less random, and as awesome as it should be.

The fact your list is this long just let everyone know who did not back this game from kickstarter to stay far far away, too bad I backed this kickstarter cause the game is clearly a dud for CMON which has such a good track record Im really shocked by this games shortcomings....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say your changes sound good but keep in mind all of those suggestions make the game easier. You will need something to offset all of these buffs or the game will be easier than intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Boughton
United Kingdom
Sale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
I am going to play with these house rules.

Normalise boss

Normalise gold and bread

open stashes

and see how things go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeNothin wrote:

I see a big potential issue with this change. One of the criticisms raised about this game is that it is quite long. Having 16 fresh cards each season, open to view and begging to be optimally distributed, seems like it will add at least 30 minutes to the play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
rrrrupp wrote:
I would say your changes sound good but keep in mind all of those suggestions make the game easier. You will need something to offset all of these buffs or the game will be easier than intended.

Most, but not all, I think. Normalizing the boss monster makes it more likely to appear in a game (You will most likely see it by turn 5, and are almost guaranteed to see it by turn 8; sooner if you play with more than 4 heroes). Normalizing bread and gold could mean less of both in the game over all.

However, the game seems insanely, randomly hard as is. Smoothing the curve a little doesn't really worry me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:

I see a big potential issue with this change. One of the criticisms raised about this game is that it is quite long. Having 16 fresh cards each season, open to view and begging to be optimally distributed, seems like it will add at least 30 minutes to the play time.

You said the exact same thing in the last thread we talked about this!

Anyway, I don't think it'll add any time to the game, at-least not from reading. You'll have to read the cards at some point; it'd be concentrated at the start of the season instead of being scattered through out, and if someone reads them out loud for everyone it'll even save time.

It will add some AP time as players will be thinking about how best to user the new cards, but that can't be helped - any layer of strategy does that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Boughton
United Kingdom
Sale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Another simple and useful change would be to allow players to go in order they want in a turn. really helps planning a strategy.

You could also keep boss monster activation rules but say they only apply in the last two seasons.

Also leave money alone and just normalise food which is the element that can kill you if you roll badley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:

Core changes:

Optional Stuff!

The fact your list is this long just let everyone know who did not back this game from kickstarter to stay far far away, too bad I backed this kickstarter cause the game is clearly a dud for CMON which has such a good track record Im really shocked by this games shortcomings....

Don't be ridiculous. He's basing all these changes on ONE PERSON'S opinion, a person who traditionally makes snap judgments and marks games down for being "dangerous for Christians".

The game looks fine as is and these changes just make the game way way easier. And while I actually do like the idea of some of these changes, the OP hasn't even played the game himself yet.

Jesus, the drama in this place just reaches stupid levels sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:

Core changes:

Optional Stuff!

Don't be ridiculous. He's basing all these changes on ONE PERSON'S opinion, a person who traditionally makes snap judgments and marks games down for being "dangerous for Christians".

The game looks fine as is and these changes just make the game way way easier. And while I actually do like the idea of some of these changes, the OP hasn't even played the game himself yet.

Its not drama when others are saying the exact same thing as Dice Tower on the forums. But you clearly already know that Im sure....

Stoneage999 wrote:

Quote:
"6.5" Played the demo at Gen Con. Basically, an epic version of Castle Panic. Great miniatures, love that it can play 6 players, and like that the difficulty makes it feel like an epic game. However, I found the dice mechanics decided the game a lot more than the strategy seemed to, and a few mechanics led to high irritation factor. I was playing a character whose special ability was to get a weapon for free each round. However, there were only four weapons I was able to draw from the deck, and the three that I pulled were all one time use siege weapons that I did not have the resources to use. I felt like I wasted lots of actions and time. I can also see the mechanic of certain "rooms" in the building getting broken over and over because a certain enemy was throwing rocks from the first row being an irritation as well. I felt like it was a game that is only beatable when all of the cards and the dice fall just right, literally.

Im sure you will post something again like how stupid everyone is like in other threads because only a few people have played it now and have the exact same feelings as Dice Tower that you clearly dont like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Boughton
United Kingdom
Sale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Game One.
Decided to ignore boss monster spawn on first turn, then boss monster spawned on second turn, ignored it. Then boss spawned on third turn and I ignored that as well to try and make some progress on my first game.

On turn 4 now and no boss monster spawn to ignore.

Enjoying the game a lot bearing in mind I am not playing the boss monster rule. The game presents loads of challenges and decisions require a lot of thought if things are to remain under control.

Lost my first character to inexperience on turn 4, ditched resurection penalty because it would of meant no chanes of winning.

Turn 5. Nearly lost another character, virtually every building damaged or destroyed. Realised that Khrone could advance into Citadel lost game.

Totally humiliated and baffled how you can win this game. Even when house ruling. Will try again.

Game 2.........
Boss spawned on turn two, ignored it, bad card draw damaged armoury, bad rolls on catapult didnt prevent me clearing zone for the messenger.

NO boss spawn on turn three, buildings on east damaged as well as armoury, would of lost character to feeding but spotted and replayed his turn.

Turn Four looking grim only good thing is messenger exiting the board, lost a character major disaster. West side of keep destroyed. Everything is going pear shaped.

Turn five, ignored resurect spawn penalty because it would be impossible to recover from extra penalties. Messenger draws return west, ignored incomiing messenger spawn because it would end game. This game is over unless I can remove four molens plus the incomming spawn.

Incomming spawn molens everywhere messenger needs six molems clearing. Ran out of molens they are now in three out of four outer zones.

By a miracle I am still in this game. Messenger blocked from western outer zone.Lost a second character because I wasnt concentrating on the monsters next attack during my characters move.

Turn Six, the castle is heavily damaged two areas in ruins. Ignoring resurection spawn penalty because it is too harsh. Should be able to get messenger moving with incredible luck.

Spawns are giving me a chance......but a slim one.

Messenger stuck in outer west, lost another character, all buildings damaged or destroyed.

Turn seven, no idea how I am still in this. ignore resurection respawn penalty, no Molen cards in outer east is the only thing keeping the game going. Messenger stuck in outer west.

Turn eight, all buildings except east are destroyed no gold and no way of getting any from the east side. Messenger looks hopelessly locked down.
Spawns will end the game soon because I am almost out of miniatures.

Tried a desperate gamble of firing the catapult into the area with the messenger, killed him and lost the game, no time or hope of sending another.

Conclusion this looks a tough game to beat, especially if you have any bad luck along the way. I am going to wait for a strategy guide or some house rules before I try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James

Rhode Island
msg tools
My plan for the Boss Monster is that in the 1st season it can not come out, season 2 you have to roll 4 of the same, 3rd season 3 of the same, and on the 4th season you would have to roll 2 of the same symbols on the dice for it to come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjtabares wrote:
My plan for the Boss Monster is that in the 1st season it can not come out, season 2 you have to roll 4 of the same, 3rd season 3 of the same, and on the 4th season you would have to roll 2 of the same symbols on the dice for it to come into play.

Not having played yet, thats sounds like a really good idea. Worth a try for sure, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smith2332 wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
smith2332 wrote:
JoeNothin wrote:

Core changes:

Optional Stuff!

Its not drama when others are saying the exact same thing as Dice Tower on the forums. But you clearly already know that Im sure....

Stoneage999 wrote:

Quote:
"6.5" Played the demo at Gen Con. Basically, an epic version of Castle Panic. Great miniatures, love that it can play 6 players, and like that the difficulty makes it feel like an epic game. However, I found the dice mechanics decided the game a lot more than the strategy seemed to, and a few mechanics led to high irritation factor. I was playing a character whose special ability was to get a weapon for free each round. However, there were only four weapons I was able to draw from the deck, and the three that I pulled were all one time use siege weapons that I did not have the resources to use. I felt like I wasted lots of actions and time. I can also see the mechanic of certain "rooms" in the building getting broken over and over because a certain enemy was throwing rocks from the first row being an irritation as well. I felt like it was a game that is only beatable when all of the cards and the dice fall just right, literally.

Im sure you will post something again like how stupid everyone is like in other threads because only a few people have played it now and have the exact same feelings as Dice Tower that you clearly dont like.

3 posts = definitive consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James

Rhode Island
msg tools
PootJenkins wrote:
cjtabares wrote:

Not having played yet, thats sounds like a really good idea. Worth a try for sure, thanks!

It can be devastating when it comes out early, I figured it would work well. The longer you continue to defend the town the more desperate the enemy becomes so there is a greater likelihood of the big boss coming to help. I think it fits well with the theme and also might improve the game experience. I will be trying it next time I play. I am also unsure I like the training, seems odd you have little controle on what you get trained in. Might try something like there are two revealed and then if you want to take a risk you can still draw 2 off the top and pick one.

I will most likely make one change at a time and see how they go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjtabares wrote:
PootJenkins wrote:
cjtabares wrote:

It can be devastating when it comes out early, I figured it would work well. The longer you continue to defend the town the more desperate the enemy becomes so there is a greater likelihood of the big boss coming to help. I think it fits well with the theme and also might improve the game experience. I will be trying it next time I play. I am also unsure I like the training, seems odd you have little controle on what you get trained in. Might try something like there are two revealed and then if you want to take a risk you can still draw 2 off the top and pick one.

I will most likely make one change at a time and see how they go.

That sounds like a smart approach.

It should be said I'm not going to make ANY changes until I've played at least 3 or 4 times and determine for myself weather or not any house rules are needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjtabares wrote:

I'm a bit surprised this isn't the actual ruling. It makes sense thematically, and may temper the difficulty that some are having an issue with. thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game once, and, as is, I wouldn't want to play it again (I only say this because your house rules seem to resolve a lot of my issues with the game).

We played a 2-player game. The rules suggest that heroes should visit the armory early in the game. So the first hero went to the armory...

...and drew a fire in the armory card.

The next hero went to the armory, spent two gold to fix the armory, and then drew an armory card...

...and drew a second fire in the armory card.

The third hero spent two gold to fix the armory. Drew an armory card that was not a fire! Huzzah.

The fourth hero tried to turn the catapult. Rolled a broken gear.

I did the math, and out of the 12 actions we had during that round, 3 were rendered completely useless by die rolls, 2 actually hurt us (the two fires in the armory), and 2 involved spending gold to fix the things the previous two actions had broken. Out of 12 actions, only 5 had a net positive effect on the game state.

Despite what the rules said, we should have skipped the armory entirely that season. But since we really needed to get weapons before things got too hectic, we were probably doomed before the game even began, simply by the distribution of the armory deck.

As it was, we kept on playing, made it two more seasons, and succumbed to inevitability. In the end, it didn't feel like there was much strategy to the game. Since every action (aside from moving your hero), relied on a die roll or random card draw, it was effectively impossible to plan your turn, let alone a multi-turn strategy.

I'm going to suggest we play again, with the open stashes and automatic catapult turning. The game is beautiful, the cards and heroes all seem very cool and varied. I just need a greater sense of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.