Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I've watched the White Wizard videos and have read the rule book but find myself with 2 questions I'm hoping and experienced player can help me with. Thank you in advance and I apologize if these have been asked previously.

1) If an opponent's card is expended(tapped) or flipped (blocking) can I use a card that says destroy target champion or deal 3 damage to target champion to target that opponet's tapped or blocking card?

2) If a card lets me put a token into play, is that token considered to be deploying or do tokens ignore this rule and can attack right away as if they have blitz?

Again, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Yes
2)All cards entering play are considered Deploying unless they have Blitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Target champion is any champion except untargetable ones (they'd say it).

2. Tokens are considered to be deploying just like regular champions unless the event/champion that spawned them says otherwise (most likely blitz).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just to be clear, any card which didn't start the turn in play is deploying. Even cards with Blitz are deploying. The special effect of Blitz is that you are allowed to attack or use expend powers even if you are deploying. There's not many cases when the distinction is relevant - usually it's a simple case of "Blitz means it can attack even when you just played it", but sometimes it does matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. And just to be clear, a card is considered deploying until the turn comes back to you correct?

So I can't use a card's power I just put out when my opponent attacks. After his turn concludes and it is back to me, now I can attack with or use powers from said card.

However, I could have blocked with that card I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadwick12 wrote:
Thank you all. And just to be clear, a card is considered deploying until the turn comes back to you correct?

So I can't use a card's power I just put out when my opponent attacks. After his turn concludes and it is back to me, now I can attack with or use powers from said card.

However, I could have blocked with that card I believe.

Exactly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have one follow up question:

If my opponent attacks and it is now my chance to play events and powers I can play aChampion only if it has Ambush. If I do so and then block with that Champion will it become prepared on my turn even though I just put it out? I assume yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since one of the first things you do on your turn is to prepare champions, then yes.

As a bonus, because it's already in play when your turn starts, it's not deploying either. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Byer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my reasoning. Just making sure I wasn't looking at it wrong. Thanks for confirming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
Even cards with Blitz are deploying.

that just doesn't make any sense to me. why is this so? does this matter in any situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Why is this so" - because that's what the rule is. The rule says: "Blitz champions may attack and use powers while deploying".

Blitz doesn't mean "the Deploying status never happens to you" it means "when you have the Deploying status, you can ignore it". It's like protection from fire spells in some games where you still burn, it just doesn't hurt.

If you had an imaginary card "Warlord" in play which said: "All your champions with 2 or less attack have blitz", then you could play a fresh Corpse Taker and use it right away. But if your Warlord died, Corpse Taker wouldn't have Blitz any more - so if you hadn't used Corpse Taker, it would now become unusable that turn (it still has its Deploying status).

An even simpler example would be an imaginary event, "Sever Reinforcements", with the text, "Break all deploying champions". This would still affect Blitz champions played that turn, because those champions are still Deploying.

Maybe there's some examples in the current set too where this matters involving Turn - Turn usually creates fun edge cases. I don't have the brainpower to come up with one right now though!

EDIT: Ok, I've got one.

On Jane's turn, she plays Corpse Taker, followed by The Risen. The Risen gives all her Evil champions Blitz for that turn. She knows Sarah, her opponent, does a lot of discard pile shennigans. Jane figures, she'll leave Corpse Taker unexpended, and then use it during Sarah's turn if anything hits the discard which she wants to see banished. Thundarus, for example!

Jane has misunderstood the rules. She thought that when she played The Risen, that would put Blitz on Corpse Taker, who would then no longer be Deploying. But that's wrong. During her turn, Corpse Taker had Blitz, and could be expended (say, to banish that pesky Inner Peace, which was already sitting in Sarah's discard). But as soon as her turn ended, Corpse Taker no longer had Blitz (remember, The Risen only grants Blitz that turn). So during Sarah's turn, Jane's Corpse Taker is Deploying, without Blitz, and cannot be expended to banish from discard.

Could be the same with High King (no loyalty) and Secret Legion (though that would be a terrible play anyway even without the rules error, coz HK's gonna get removed post-haste, gotta use the power while it's on the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks greylag. i guess we pretty much played this wrong, but it never mattered so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilija Ilijic
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i also thought blitz meant that a champion skips deploying.

hmm, so should it then be considered a bad habit to play all your blitz champions into the 'upper row' next to your already deployed champions from previous rounds and all your deploying champions without blitz in a 'bottom row'?

because (as an example) if there was an event that forced all your champions to lose blitz (say on your opponent´s turn) you would have to remember which of your upper row champions have been played on your last turn and now revert back to 'normal deploying state' (not allowed to expend).

this game is really confusing :/

perhaps putting a marker on deploying champions (including those with blitz) would be the best solution then, i dont know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's very, very rare for it to matter. Generally by the time you're playing stuff subtle enough for it to matter, you can easily remember who has blitz. But yeah if in doubt just use the two rows system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.