8 Posts

Mai-Star» Forums » General

Subject: First Edition is so hard to find! I'm considering Print and Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Lee
msg tools
I'm shocked.

For about 3 months, I've been looking online for any sign of the multilingual edition to no avail. No store in any country is carrying it and no one is selling personal copies. Is first edition really that rare?

I'm thinking the only way I'll get my hands on a multilingual edition is by buying a foreign edition, making scans, altering the text on Photoshop, then printing out the entire game just so I can have English text with the original artwork.

I could probably slap English translations on a foreign copy as a sticker, but those don't exist and I figure if I have to make them myself, I might as well go HAM and just remake the first edition version from scratch.

Would this be the best way to get a hold of an English copy with Noboru Sugiura's artwork, or is there something I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even remember if there ever was an English version. A bilingual, there was. It was probably printed in 200 copies, so yeah, I'd say it's probably very hard to get by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Zimeon wrote:
I don't even remember if there ever was an English version. A bilingual, there was. It was probably printed in 200 copies, so yeah, I'd say it's probably very hard to get by.

I do so wish AEG hadn't changed the art.

Looks like you can buy the Chinese version here, with the original art.

http://www.boardgamer.org/product_info.php?currency=US&produ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sudlow
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also get the promos with the Chinese version. I sleeved the bilingual version and added them in.

Keep an eye on auctions here and eBay for the original. It took me a while, but one did pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wichita
Kansas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Chinese edition was bilingual Chinese/English, I would have snapped it up a long time ago. (Flying out to visit in-laws in China tomorrow.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
macroidtoe wrote:
If the Chinese edition was bilingual Chinese/English, I would have snapped it up a long time ago. (Flying out to visit in-laws in China tomorrow.)

!!! Snap it up anyway! I will happily buy it from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this thread is a bit old, but...

I have seen Mai Star sitting on the FLGS shelf for about 5 months. Nobody at the store knew anything about the game. It was one of those small box AEG games (ala Love Letter) that they got. I read some review on BGG and eventually picked it up. We LOVE the game! Wish I got it months ago. The 5/5/5 card is a bit overpowered for sure.

One of out house-rule variants is that whoever goes first picks the Geisha for the person to his/her left. And so on around the table. This way we play with the weakest geisha. It's fun.

Anyway, after seeing this thread I had to take a look at the orignal artwork (seen in the Dice Tower review for this game?).

I think the newer artwork is fantastic. It pops off the card, it's colorful and just clean and pretty looking. Compare that to the stark, minimalistic orignal artwork and I just don't see it. With Love Letter it looked better than the US release - at least until themed versions of the game became available. But for Mai Star I don't think the original artwork comes close to the general appeal of the new artwork.

Since Mai Star is truly a notch above Love Letter on the complexity scale (heck, so is Yahtzee for that matter) it needs to have a nice aesthetic appeal to get non-gamers playing.

With Love Letter I usually break out the Adventure Time, Batman, or even Hobbit versions to get them into the game. I tried getting people to play using the original Kanai edition artwork and they are just put off by it. Surprising, yes, but that's the typical non-gamer. They want to see colors pop and some sort of familiarity.

In a nutshell, I just think the newer AEG artwork is probably much easier to sell to the public than the original artwork. My guess is this is proven in the Love Letter games.

Anyway, I wish I could get my hand on the bilingual version too as I do like seeing the original artwork. However, I like the newer artwork far far more. In fact I think it's exceptional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Diehl
United States
Grand Terrace
California
flag msg tools
mb
I like the new AEG artwork for the geisha, but not the customers... the customers look like battle heroes or kung fu masters, which takes away some of the niche appeal the original game had.

I too wish I could have bought the original. Each character has a bit of flavor dialogue (written in Japanese). In particular, it looks like the AEG version removed the "foreigner" card, which my wife (who is Japanese) found to be hilarious. It says in mixed English/Japanese written in Katakana, "You Beautiful! You are so pretty, understand?" :)

Edit:
IS there a print and play version of the original available some where? Like on Artscow or CowCow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.