King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really confused by the words 'Complete Master Set' on the game box This is so for two reasons:

1. Master Set is used to describe games that will be expanded usually by Living Card Game (or similar) sales model, with small expansions being released over time in near-quarterly Waves and with a strong international competitive tournament models behind it. This is what Fantasy Flight is doing with Netrunner, but also you can consider X-Wing as such, as it gets releases of small expansions in Waves. What does Master Set mean in 51st State? Is it an LCG-type of game?

2. Why does it say Complete? Is it just a marketing gimmick, since what else would a Master Set be, if not complete? Incomplete Master Set? Because at the same time this new edition is not a 'complete' edition of previously released 51st State either, as it is a reimplementation as an entirely new game. Also the word 'Complete' on the box implies that this is not a game that is expanded much anymore.

Does anyone know more about it?

For me it seems to be Second Edition of 51st State and that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it unifies and clarifies the rules and iconography, I won't care what they call it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never heard about the definition in item 1, but I think it´s a marketing strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without any more info than anybody else, I guess Master Set means it includes 51st State, New Age and Winter, but not the mini expansion "Ruins", and that being the case, I imagine the plan is to release Ruins and maybe further expansions at a later date, assuming the game is popular enough..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chien
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A clarification was noted on the news page:
Random_Person wrote:

It will contain New Era and Winter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/50300?commentid=6088265#c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leone
msg tools
I am hoping it means a complete game. 51st State is a wonderful game, New Era is a wonderful game, and Winter makes both of them better, even though it is almost impossible to obtain. I am hoping that the new complete master game takes the best of each of these and gives us the comprehensive card game for the Neuroshima Hex world.
Ignacy has improved the game play each time he has set this world in motion, I found myself buying and playing Imperial Settlers and wishing for the Neuroshima hex art and theme.

I can hardly wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Guerrero
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with OP, the title implies that it is a compendium of all sets released and that it is compatible with them. This is not true since there are graphic design changes, iconography updates, incorporation of errata and rules clarifications. This is more keen to being "51st State" (Second Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis M. Prieto
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s not a complete master set:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21586995#21586995

It´s like a Imperial Settlers MOD. Cr*p!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"51st State: All of the Stuff Edition" doesn't have the same ring to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the Complete Master Set of the new iteration of 51st State rather than a historical set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:

You mean "51st State: Not all of the Stuff Edition", since it doesn't include everything released previously.

Chrysm wrote:
Seems like the Complete Master Set of the new iteration of 51st State rather than a historical set.

But which new game is not 'complete'?

The two words are conflicting. Master Set implies that it will be expanded upon. Complete means that it is complete and includes everything already.

Anyways, it's a mess. But it doesn't matter, just confused me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
leonej wrote:
I am hoping it means a complete game. 51st State is a wonderful game, New Era is a wonderful game, and Winter makes both of them better, even though it is almost impossible to obtain. I am hoping that the new complete master game takes the best of each of these and gives us the comprehensive card game for the Neuroshima Hex world.
Ignacy has improved the game play each time he has set this world in motion, I found myself buying and playing Imperial Settlers and wishing for the Neuroshima hex art and theme.

I can hardly wait.

That!

My experience is that the best way to play 51st was NOT to play 51st state BUT to play New Era+Winetr (optionnal: + ruins)

Just don't agree with IS being as good as New Era. It's the 51st state mechanics streamlined but not as satisfying for "more mature gamers" IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some time ago, I went through 51st state to see what was not replicated or improved upon in the later sets. There is only one mechanism that is not reproduced and I think it is overpowered when used as is in New Era. There are a few other cards that might be brought over, but it really does not make sense to talk about having a set containing all of the cards from 51st state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope Ignacy doesn't create an Imperial Settlers Clone + . . . total newb here, but nearly every experienced player has said that he or she would like to retain the rule of 3, and many have said they are hanging on to their old sets. I trust Ignacy, though - we will just have to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's like this is 51st State now. This is a reboot of the 51st State game. So the previous editions don't count anymore. Any future expansions and stuff will be based on this game. This is the complete set now, essentially?

If that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, if they get rid of the rule of three, my previous editions are gonna count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quas4R wrote:
It´s not a complete master set:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21586995#21586995

It´s like a Imperial Settlers MOD. Cr*p!

So, how do existing 1st ed 51st State fans feel now that the rules are out? It seems to me that one of the biggest upsets, the rule-of-three, has been replaced by the ability to kill anything - does this redress the balance? Maybe not so much in the thematic limitation-through-gradual-decay side, but in function?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frohike wrote:

This gets my vote, and my giggles.

No more anniversary editions and all that milquetoast naming conventions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zenflux
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now the Complete Master Set gets an expansion. Is it complete after that?

First I thought that this is diluting the whole meaning of the master set and we are just getting ripped. Why wasn't the Scavengers (Ruins) included in the release of the Master Set? Is this depreciating me as a customer?

However, maybe this is about polish humour. In the society we live in, we except to get things that we eventually don't get because we are led astray all the time. This can be a lesson for us. We live in a world of dlc's. 51st state complete master set is only the name for the game. It doesn't mean it's complete. Don't believe everything you read.

Or we can look at it like this: There can never be a master without a slave. Scavengers is the beginning of a complete slave set that will rise to overthrow the master set. Raze everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.