Subject: Rating a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I recently discovered SotM and was happy to learn it by trying on the Ipad learning app. Before I dive into the deep I would like to know if there is a possibility to rate a game from easy to difficult.

In the learning games one can only play against Baron Blade with Leagcy/Wraith/Bunker/talchyon in the Insula Primalis environment. I won my games with ease. I soon learned that the setup was an easy one according to this table: http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco....

Knowing what the rating of the setup is, makes winning or losing more meaningfull (to me).

Is the rating of the setup incorporated in the full version of the app and/or sidekick. If not: is the site mentioned above trustworthy and/or are there better ways to 'rate' a setup.

Thx
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Gray's data is based on the shared results of many games, so it is pretty good for rating difficulty. There are specific interactions that any general scheme will overlook, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The info from that site is fairly accurate, but of course card draw and other factors come into account. If you are looking to win every game, I feel you may miss out on some of the best parts of SotM. Like comic books, the heroes don't always win and sometimes there are consequences to those losses. I know there are others who have created "campaigns" with the game and have various rules about what happens if a character or team us incapacitated. The beauty in the game is trying out each hero, finding some of your favorite teams and playing with them or learning new strategies with those you haven't played with before.

Ultimately how you play is up to you, but don't shorten your experience just to put one in the win column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a randomizer app on Android using Matt Gray's data. One of the dials to adjust is the difficulty of the game. You also can specify the number of heroes and lock in any of them, the villain, and/or environment. If you lock down everything, it will simply tell you what your odds are. A pretty nifty app, I wonder if there is something similar on iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
There is a randomizer app on Android using Matt Gray's data. One of the dials to adjust is the difficulty of the game. You also can specify the number of heroes and lock in any of them, the villain, and/or environment. If you lock down everything, it will simply tell you what your odds are. A pretty nifty app, I wonder if there is something similar on iOS?

The same, or similar, is also available on iOS.

Sentinels Randomizer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
It is pretty decent, but because it is based on self-reported results of a group of players your experience may not be the same at all.

For Example my personal win rate with Expatriette and Mr. Fixer is really high, I lose a lot more with Nightmist, and I don't know how DW Expat is rated 12 points harder than base Expat.

So be prepared for deck orders and personal play style to make your experience much different, but otherwise that is a pretty good measure.

DW Expat/Fanatic/Fixer vs Kaargra Warfang in Atlantis gives you a beefy 229 difficulty rating, an estimated 25% win rate.

That's a fun romp to play though, I've played it multiple times and won most.

It just can't account for the individual matchup dynamics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gon
msg tools
And I only Lost 2 times ever when I play Nightmist, She is my favorite. Card draw luck and being able to assess problems on the board is important. Knowing what the decks can do is also important.

I take great joy in playing random characters and seeing what happens. I had have AA be a tank one game and a damage dealer the next, and he is a support character. Wraith goes for a shoot everything to a deck manipulator/ damage reducer.

I find that the rating has some merit but it is not set in stone, Thinking outside the box can help overcome some of the harder games. And there is always Iron Legacy if the game is too easy. Buy the Game and play it.

Steam account is Speedyorlac if you ever wanna play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for all your replies; This helped !

Main idea was to know if I lost a game if it was understandable because of the difficulty rating (and not my idea to pick only the easy games to get a sure win). I was afraid that losing the same setup time after time without knowing afterwards that it was a nearly impossible setup to win, especially for a beginner, would turn me off from the game

But I think I focused a little too much on that aspect only. Your replies in other words: The search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is not (only) for the pot of gold but more for the experience of the travel to it. I bought the game yesterday on my Ipad and played 2 new setups which gave a glimps of this nice, challenging travel. I enjoyed it and keeps me longing for more.

I got the Sentinels Randomizer for IOS and will be using it to set the difficulty for now. But, I can foresee that in some time I won’t need/use it anymore. Leaving it only to record my games, which is a nice plus.

speedyolrac wrote:
Steam account is Speedyorlac if you ever wanna play.

Thx for the invite. I don't know yet how it works for now and if cross platform is possible. I will focus first on learning the game and after that maybe on online play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.