4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Descent vs descent 2nd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nathan polk

California
msg tools
I have owned descent 2nd edition for about a year now and out of curiosity have been watching videos about the 1st edition just see where the 2nd edition came from. I understand that the new game cut alot items in order to stream line the game and make it more playable in less time, however, does anyone feel like the new editions (to include expansions) are less value or at least less epic then the old descent line?
The old set had something like 20 heros in the base set and alot more monsters with no lieutenant tokens (ie additional packs being sold for 10-$15 each in order to get the figure). I don't know what the 1st edition sold for when it was first released, however, it seems like we are being sold less product for our money and all we are getting are some refined rules and re-cycled heros and monsters from the orginal.

The expansions for 1st edition descent added tons of content to include completely new ways to play the game. The expansions now strike me as far less impressive.
This seems to be a trend aswell. Imperial assault (FFG) based on the descent system was like $90 when released and still had about a dozen tokens for pieces... and the expansion twin shadows doesn't even included the bounty hunter featured on the front on the box, and only gives 10 new pieces and 4 or so missions with ano asking price around $50.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 1st Ed. 2e is a great game, but it is less of a 2e than it is a new system. Yes, 1e does feel more epic, but many people complained about the time investment needed, so FFG "fixed" it. If 1e seems interesting to you, buy it up now. Luckily, the prices have dropped a bit on eBay. Games like 1e are no longer cost effective to produce, so massive games like this seem to have had their day. Sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bellam wrote:
and the expansion twin shadows doesn't even included the bounty hunter featured on the front on the box,

This again? You do realize that Descent 2nd Ed's very first expansion did not include the dragon featured on the front of the box? Descent and IA have very similar sales models, and based on IA's continued success and Descent's winding down, I think IA is doing it better.

Back on topic, the biggest difference between 1st and 2nd ed was time investment. To play 1st Ed, you had to set aside a good 5 hours to play, but then you were done. It was an epic game that took a long time but in general was highly entertaining to play. It's kind of reminiscent of 2nd Ed's co-op variant. 2nd Ed's normal game, the individual quests are done a lot faster (about 2hrs) but you needed to invest 20hrs+ into a campaign to truly play it. The overall mechanics of the two games are close enough that they feel quite similar when you play it. It's the general feel of one-time-epic vs smaller-spread-over-time campaign that the two games boil down to.

Now, add in Descent: The Road to Legend to 1st Ed, and you've got your 60hr+ epic campaign...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do agree that the price has gone up a bit, I do also think we can't just compare the old and new minis based on the amount per box alone. The 2nd edition minis are WAYYYYY more detailed than the first ed ones. The production costs for them probably racked up the price a bit, but I am personally willing to pay for the extra quality (the figures look great, especially painted ones)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.