Subject: A good overview book of military costume throughout human history? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I am a videogame artist, and for a future project I'm looking for a nice visual dictionary of military costume/armor/uniforms that covers a good range of history (not just the modern era, for example) and geography (not just western countries). It doesn't need to go really in-depth, as this is as a way to inspire general looks and once I know what I want to do I can research for more detailed pictures elsewhere. The main thing I'm looking for are good photos/illustrations and a wide breadth.

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but it sounds like it might be a bit small: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1472812972/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_tlNQwb...

Do you know of any other (widely available!) books that I should take a look at?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post as it's not explicitly boardgame-related, but I thought there would be a lot of military buffs of all time periods in this forum

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Military uniforms is a very very broad subject as it covers the multitude of military organizations worldwide throughout human history. Heck, some people can spent most of their life just studying Napoleonic uniforms, and that is just for a period of about two decades in Europe!

You might want to take a look at Osprey Publishing's Men-At-Arms series of books. Osprey is probably the best known publisher on books about military uniforms, and just the MAA series has over 500 titles, which tells you how broad this subject matter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Taskforce 58 wrote:
Military uniforms is a very very broad subject as it covers the multitude of military organizations worldwide throughout human history. Heck, some people can spent most of their life just studying Napoleonic uniforms, and that is just for a period of about two decades in Europe!

You might want to take a look at Osprey Publishing's Men-At-Arms series of books. Osprey is probably the best known publisher on books about military uniforms, and just the MAA series has over 500 titles, which tells you how broad this subject matter is.

Oh I know the topic is really broad, that's why I was looking for something that acted a bit as a sampler Just enough to get a taste of what kind of broad visual look I'm going for, then I'd narrow it down with other resources (also, just to be clear: I'm not working a historical simulation or anything like that, so I don't need complete accuracy... my aim is just to get the right "flavour" across).

It could be that the book I linked to (which is also published by Osprey) would serve that purpose well enough The search engine at Amazon is generally pretty good, and I'm not seeing many options for what I had in mind, except for that same one Bob linked above, which doesn't sound good from reviews. EDIT: looks like Bob removed the link, but it was for the Chris McNab book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this one?

Warriors: Fighting Men and their Uniforms.

It's an Osprey title, so it has their strong visual appeal, and it seems to be a general survey across many centuries and cultures. At 320 pages, it's much larger than the more specific Osprey titles.

If you're just looking for a taste and sample of specific armies, even just the covers of the many, many specific Osprey titles might give you a sense of each.

EDIT: Oops. I see the one I linked is the one you linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After four years all of them look like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Baldrick always gets a thumb

I think I'll get started with the Warriors: Fighting Men book, then I can look at the other Osprey books that Edmund linked to if I want to get into a lot more detail. Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
wow "AGE of Empires"-'iteration' booklet anybody? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you do an online search of

Liliane and Fred Funken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a book, but good (just Britain): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/11011316/Mi...
Covers (years):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee a.k.a. "Loyal Lee"
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
I suggest you do an online search of

Liliane and Fred Funken.

If you want to go this route, geekmail me. I might be able to hook you up...

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ooh the Funken art is very nice
It's kind of strange looking at all these links and seeing how... pretty it can all be, if you know what I mean.

@Lee I'll send you a GM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a followup to this in case anyone else is interested in this topic, I bought the Warriors: Fighting Men and their Uniforms book and took a look at it last night. As noted before, it's pretty small in size, but there is a nice range. There is definitely more attention paid to western countries and the twentieth century, but I couldn't expect otherwise from a book this size There does seem to be some notable omissions, such as the Australasian area, though I may have just missed it during my flip-through(which brings me to a different complaint: there is no index). Each warrior type gets a full page illustration, and while the style changes from artist to artist, it's overall of high quality. The text accompanying each picture is not extremely detailed, but it gives some historical context and labels some of the equipment/clothing in the illustrations, so it's useful. Overall, it serves my purposes, though I'll still be dropping into some used bookstores (not a bad thing )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.