Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Need help: good books or movies about Oda Nobunga?
Ah , one of my favorite subject, and one of my favorite ruthless conqueror

You can check http://www.samurai-archives.com/nobunaga.html for more info on Nobunaga,and the other 2 unifiers of Japan that finished the job for him (Hideyosi and Tokugawa).

The name of the "traitor" is Mitsuhide Akechi.
He was one of Nobunaga trusted lieutnant. As Nobunaga was at the Honnoji temple in Kyoto, he dispatched Mitsuhide and a large part of his army to help Hideyoshi in a protracted siege far away.
During the night, and for reasons not completly clear, Mitsuhide turned back, and surrounded Honnoji temple. Nobunaga was defenseless. The temple was burned to the ground.
Mitsuhide has little time to enjoy its victory, as hearing the news, Hideyoshi broke the siege of the castle he was attacking, and marched his army back to Kyoto. He caught up with Mitsuhide and crushed him at the Battle of Yamazaki.
Thus he was able to avenge his master, and brought the head of the traitor at the burial of Nobunaga...

Nobunaga first battle against the Imagawa (5000 vs 20000), is also very impressive, perhaps one of Japan first "Special ops". But probably difficult to game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i just got 12 new books in on the subject...I will try and remember to go through them for you next week and give you a few recommendations...

Busy prepping for a con this week.

Movies? Ran and Kagamusha (two Kurosawa's to get you in the mood - not my fav Kurosawa but Dersu Uzala and Iruku aren't the right topic )...

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
non of the kurasawa films really cover nobunaga. There are lots of good books, about him. If you want a kind of overview of events with not a lot of dept you could look at one of Stephen Turnbull books, just to give an overview (they have nice pictures too). If you want a semi fictional account that would cover the historical events you could look at Hideyoshi (I forget the author), it is a novel about Hideyoshi who was one of nobunaga's generals (and a peasant) and succeeded him. I only mention these as they are very accessable ways to get into the period.

There are lots of serious histories as well, I'll have to dig through my collection and have a look at what might be good (a lot of mine are academic and so deal with social history, so would be very dry). However there are plenty of good overviews.

Good Movies (not about Nobunaga)

Heaven and Earth (I think that is what it is called), not to be confused with the the hollywood film of the same name. It is about battles in the plains of Shinano between the Uesugi and Takeda clans. GOod film, lots of beautiful battle Scenes.

Kagemusha is a classic about the rise and fall of the Takeda clan through the eyes of Takeda Shingen's Double. Great film very beautiful, but inaccurate battle scene at the end of the movie (kind of like the battles in brave heart really).

Ran - really non historical, it is ok, but it is well received in the west because it is really king lear

That should get you started.
Goodluck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran is certainly Lear in drag - but a beautiful period piece and certainly has a rich pagentry to it.

Worth seeing - Kagemusha is better...

BTW, Takeda Shingen plays a pivital role in A Most Dangerous Time (and could be much bigger than historically if he doesn't die too soon like he really did)...and they others are all there too...Tokagawa, Araki (who can betray without warning - as many others can), Hideyoshi...and a cast of thousands (well, a few dozen more leaders really - but lots of little soldiers - and they have mothers too)...

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome this game is sounding better and better. Man I was really hoping I could just buy Samurai lords, I guess I should preorder this aswell. Takeda Shingen is an interesting conundrum actually. He was militarily very successful, but died and had an inept heir. When i was at high school I used to think that this pretty much summed up what happened, but as I began to understand history more deeply, I think it was much more complicated than this. I think it had to do more with how their military power was situated. Anyway certainly an interesting piece of history and I would certainly read up on the whole takeda saga as it is certainly interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hollihan
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The movie Samurai Assassin isn't specifically about these events. But it's also about betrayal and conspiracy. Stars the immortal Toshiro Mifune. The climax of the movie is the final assault scene in a heavy snow storm. No sound but falling snow, the clang of metal and thunk of wood, and the grunts and screams of fighting men. Very recommended!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059673/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Bulbous also tapered?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
not my fav Kurosawa but Dersu Uzala and Iruku aren't the right topic
Unfortunately, the VHS of Dersu Uzala is a better print/capture than the DVD. Just FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with the Ran and Kagemusha recommendations. They'll give you that epic feel you're wanting.

Be sure to get the Criterion Collection version of Ran.

The other versions will make you commit seppuku.

The castle seige scene in Ran is fantastic. Historically acurate? Eh, probably not; however, it is cinematic genius. It's gory, awesome, sad, crazy, and enthralling. It puts the seige of minas tirith (return of the king) to shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hmmm, try this link.
http://criterionco.com/asp/full_cover_display.asp?id=316

and this one for all the info.
http://criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=316

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
found heaven and earth if your interested. I've only seen it once as a teenager, but I remember it being somewhat historical with amazing battle scene. Ran is a good film, I just think it is a bit overated compared to some of the Kurasawa films (especially Dersu Uzala which is my favourite).
Check out Heaven and Earth here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099753/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Ran is a good film, I just think it is a bit overated compared to some of the Kurasawa films
Yeah, like Throne of Blood.
Personal favorite is Yojimbo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep sums it up... I haven't had a look for some good books, but you might want to start by reading hideyoshi it is an enjoyable way to get immersed into the period and the story of Nobunaga. It is kind of long, about 1000 pages, but easy to read as it isn't very deep, just an enjoyable read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an anime (Japanese animation) fan, I can tell you there are LOTS of anime series and/or OVAs involving Nobunaga. And by the way, it's spelled "Nobunaga." Otherwise the pronounciation would be very different (more like a caveman name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
As an anime (Japanese animation) fan, I can tell you there are LOTS of anime series and/or OVAs involving Nobunaga. And by the way, it's spelled "Nobunaga." Otherwise the pronounciation would be very different (more like a caveman name).
That's true, but Nobunaga is usually either a bloodthirsty demon lord or a pure young man who just wants to conquer all of Japan to put an end to war and suffering ( I love it when they justify going to war by "I just want to end all wars" )..
They're fun of course, but realism isn't always their forte .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a couple of useful books, but they are from the wargaming point of view.

Stephen Turnbull has written loads on this period. The Samurai: a military History (1977 & 1996) gives a good overview of the campaigns and on Oda's military carreer. I recommend it as an introduction to this period.

Samurai Warfare (1996) is an overview of warfare in the period, with more detail found in The samurai sourcebook. There are more recent publications which I haven't seen.

There's also a number of samurai period titles in the Osprey series.

If you are interested in more detail, I can give you more obscure publications. But I'll have to dig. I did a megagame on the 1582 campaign a couple of years ago (starting just after Akechi took his revenge on Oda) but was hard pressed to find english language sources. Luckily my university had an impressive Japanese department and library, but it was scraping bits & pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pippin123 wrote:

He was one of Nobunaga trusted lieutnant. As Nobunaga was at the Honnoji temple in Kyoto, he dispatched Mitsuhide and a large part of his army to help Hideyoshi in a protracted siege far away.
During the night, and for reasons not completly clear, Mitsuhide turned back, and surrounded Honnoji temple. Nobunaga was defenseless. The temple was burned to the ground.

snip
my emphasis

It has been alledged that Oda had Akechi's mother killed over some honour-issue or that he repeatedly insulted Akechi and that Akechi took revenge for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
Pippin123 wrote:

snip
my emphasis

It has been alledged that Oda had Akechi's mother killed over some honour-issue or that he repeatedly insulted Akechi and that Akechi took revenge for that.

He's also known as "The Thirteen Day Shogun" because that's how long his shogunate lasted before Hideyoshi destroyed him.

Oda piled the rice.
Hideyoshi rolled the dough.
Tokugawa ate the cake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
Pippin123 wrote:

snip
my emphasis

If my memory is good, Mitsuhide promised mercy to some samurai if they surrendered, but Nobunaga had them executed anyway. The clan of the samurai had their revenge by killing Mitsuhide's mother...

But nobody can be sure, since he didn't live long enough to explain himself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
found heaven and earth if your interested. I've only seen it once as a teenager, but I remember it being somewhat historical with amazing battle scene. Ran is a good film, I just think it is a bit overated compared to some of the Kurasawa films (especially Dersu Uzala which is my favourite).
Check out Heaven and Earth here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099753/

Yeah... that lost gem. I'd love to see a DVD release. Correct me if I am wrong. There is one battle scene in this film where they roll these eight foot tall flaming balls of oil-soaked hay soaked down a hill and charge behind them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Boyo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a pretty good TV show about Nobunaga:

www.samuraimoviedvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=341&osC...

Kagemusha has a very good portrail of him, though it is not about Nobunaga.

This is an excellent TV show about Tokugawa Eyasu w/ an hour long battle sequence of Sekigahara (the largest Samurai battle ever fought up to that time):

www.samuraimoviedvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamant wrote:

Kagemusha is better...

Adam

Kagemusha is a great film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmbmb
Also,

Nobunaga's Ambition by Koei for the 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System is an old classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome book: "Taiko", by Eiji Yoshikawa