Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey everyone, it's another year here at the geek and I have good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS: My coffers are brimming with geek gold after that monster supporter bonus this year.

BAD NEWS: There's not ONE custom Imperial Assault mission out there made by the fans and some of us are running out of campaign material!

Sooo, I'll be hosting a contest right here to try and bring out the best homebrew missions this community has to offer and will be rewarding the winning entries with pretty much all my geek gold PLUS all geekgold tips donated here. And...once the finalists have been declared, I will compile the winning missions into a pretty campaign format and upload them to the geek.

Original Pot: 300 Geek Gold
Current Pot to Be Split Among Winning Entries: 500 Geek Gold

CONTEST RULES--DEADLINE MAY 31ST

Design Constraints:

You must provide all the information that is normally provided for a typical IA mission. Rewards, number of open groups, what the map looks like, etc. Just look at any mission in the campaign guide. You don't have to make it pretty, but the important info has got to be there. There might be tools out there to post map pieces online, though I'm not familiar with them. Can someone chime in? That will make submitting your maps here much easier.

You can only design a mission using components already provided by any of the existing IA material.

Your mission must scale with THREAT LEVEL and NUMBER of HEROES.

Your mission must be labeled as FAVORS IMPERIALS, FAVORS HEROES, or BALANCED. All types will be considered, though if your mission is too lopsided, you probably won't be a finalist unless your mission is freakishly creative and fun.

The story of your mission must take place BEFORE Episode 4 of Star Wars, before the IA heroes have joined the rebellion, but while the IA heroes are roughly the same age.

Judging Parameters:

Depending on the quality and number of submissions, we will aim to have 4-6 finalists for a Mini-Campain. If selected, your missions might be altered for continuity purposes, though I envision a free-roaming system that players can pick and choose where they want to go through the campaign. We shall see.

CREATIVITY
Missions with unique mechanics or unique usage of components will excel well in this category.
BALANCE
Missions that pit both sides in an exhilarating fight to the finish devoid of exploitations will excel in this category. Missions that favor one side will require your mission to EXCEL in the creativity category.

Finalists will be chosen by myself and a panel of those who donated a minimum of 10 GeekGold to the contest's prize pool and wish to help vote on the winners. It's a hefty price I know, but the reward is another freaking mini-campaign so let's reward the hard work that the community puts in right?

All other missions that didn't make it as finalists will also be available here for people to use as well, I just won't be giving them a makeover for the final upload.

If you think you can provide any assistance to help make this contest a success, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!
Will see if I'm able to come up with anything, never done a custom mission (for any game) before.

EDIT: And since this will be a prequel.. How many Gungans should one include?
I know, I know, there is no Gungan miniatures, but one can dream..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, if there were Gungans, someone could make the origin story of how Jar Jar Binks becomes Supreme Leader Snoke. That mission would win hands down!

Looking forward to your entry mate if you decide to do so, and thanks for the contribution toward the prize pool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jss05a wrote:
Yes, if there were Gungans, someone could make the origin story of how Jar Jar Binks becomes Supreme Leader Snoke. That mission would win hands down!

Looking forward to your entry mate if you decide to do so, and thanks for the contribution toward the prize pool!

Great concept! I think I would like to show that, and also how he is Darth Vader, Plaugeis, Palpatine, the Cookie Monster and Grand Moff Tarkin, all at the same time! He's a real chameleon for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a mini campaign set before Empire Strikes Back that would involve all 3 expansions so far, just not ready for primetime yet...

What I really want to see are some single one-off missions at various experience level strengths, a one-night-event you could play with some friends.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I saw the post I had an idea of what to do and started. Hopefully I can finish it!

Just what I needed, something to prevent me from finishing painting all my IA minis

As far as map building...no idea...all I can think of doing is maybe taking pictures of each piece and microsoft paint all of them together? Not very computer savvy

I don't know of anything anyone has made to help make custom maps...I think we've all been waiting for FFG to come up with something like the Descent 2e map maker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use Vassel's IA plugin for the maps. I wanted to piece together a TileSet for TileSystem (love that app), but just haven't had the time to do so yet...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
You could use Vassel's IA plugin for the maps.

That isn't publically available yet, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you can edit the maps in the IA Skirmish module. (I do know the prebuilt maps are just save files, and they have been built in some way.)

See Help with PBF for how to ask for the IA campaign module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
I've been working on a mini campaign set before Empire Strikes Back that would involve all 3 expansions so far, just not ready for primetime yet...

What I really want to see are some single one-off missions at various experience level strengths, a one-night-event you could play with some friends.

-shnar

Looking forward to your mini campaign shnar. I will soon have completed all three campaigns twice and am ready for new stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I don't know if you can edit the maps in the IA Skirmish module. (I do know the prebuilt maps are just save files, and they have been built in some way.)

See Help with PBF for how to ask for the IA campaign module.

Is the campaign module on hoth level yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jacenat wrote:
Is the campaign module on hoth level yet?

Yes, there are a few Hoth PBF's going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign description should available in a PDF format and have the same formatting as insert sheets found in Ally/Villain packs.

Okay, okay, so this is not as much a requirement as a pleading request as I am a sucker for this kind of stuff and would like to print them out and have them look at home with the rest of my sheets.

Don't mind me... I'll just me over here... do what you like...

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Beautifying the campaign is my job so the contest participants can just focus on making great missions.

The missions will indeed be in the format as ally/villain packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
jss05a wrote:
Beautifying the campaign is my job so the contest participants can just focus on making great missions.

The missions will indeed be in the format as ally/villain packs.

*tears up a bit* Bless you, you da real MVP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done and done.

The Battle of Endor -- IA and Armada combined

jss05a wrote:
The story of your mission must take place BEFORE Episode 4 of Star Wars, before the IA heroes have joined the rebellion, but while the IA heroes are roughly the same age.

Well, crap. Back to the drawing board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ha I was hoping that particular bullet item would yield some different stuff then what we are used to for IA. Those rebels had lives before they became rebels right?

Were they pirates, soldiers of fortune, bounty hunters, dare I say IMPERIALS???

The Empire disrupted all aspects of life in the galaxy and didn't just make it miserable for Rebels, they made it miserable for all sorts of people.

How people operated without the Rebellion formally pushing things along, can make for some interesting mission material!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I understand that this mission must take place before the original trilogy, but can it still use content from it?

Can planets, races, and other content that existed in the prequels, but wasn't shown, be used in the mission?

For example, could the Huts be used in the mission? They only made appearances in the originals, but would have existed in the prequels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Absolutely, all content is game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Do you have any policies regarding multiple submissions?

I actually happen to have a small mini-campaign worth of of scenarios already designed. I would have to pretty it up, balance test them a little more seriously, and retheme them slightly but I wouldn't have to go hunting down new ideas or maps. I imagine that I could have multiple of them ready by the deadline.

Should I still only submit one scenario?

Also, one of the chief elements of this mini-campaign was incremental rewards and faster rewards overall than the mainline campaign. For example it was possible for both players to earn 2 xp in most missions. Some of the scenarios also did not declare an official 'winner' but simply had rewards for each side for accomplishing various objectives. Would it interrupt the flow of the campaign you are hoping to compile if a similar reward scheme was still used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Depending on how many missions get selected, the XP gain and rewards will be balanced accordingly. XP rewards won't be a criteria for judging, since they will most definitely be changed to accommodate the size of the mini-campaign.

Yes, absolutely you can submit multiple scenarios. Probably best to make them all stand alone though since they will be judged individually and not as a package deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Hasforth
Denmark
Copenhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unsolicited advice for budding IA scenario designers
I am not sure where to post this comment but this seems as good as place as any.

There are two things, that I would like to be different in the IA scenarios. Fewer WTF moments and greater freedom in which imperial characters to bring along. And I am concerned that in the eagerness to tell exciting stories gameplay is sacrificed.

So this is my appeal to all you budding senario designers. Let me explain.

My first point. The way most of the current scenarios are set up there are often built in surprises. I am the imperial player and my play group (who are strong on tactical skill and weak on role play inclination) have a hard time dealing with the surprises that turn the scenarios on their head.

They say, and I sympathise with them. That they might as well not plan. They are left with the tactical element but need not bother with the strategic element in how to handle the individual scenario. Because for all they know or rather fear the scenario might be turned on its head after turn 4. They have gotten used to the whole, every time a door opens stormtroopers spring into action, but there are more fundamental scenario reversals than that. Some scenarios are not of the setup reversing kind but some are and the rules don't oblige me to tell. Actually most scenarios are built on the premise of me not telling.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Let me illustrate it with Imperial Hospitality for those that have played that scenario. In the scenario opening it is clear that they have to liberate the prisoner but there is a bonus for destroying the terminal by turn 4. What they don't know is that if they fail to destroy the terminal the door to the prisoners cage will in any event be opened. Exposing the prisoner to my rightful imperial fury. And the scenario explanation gives them no way of knowing this. So from the start they can go straight for the prisoner, but if they go for the terminal, which the scenarios teases them to do, they might lose it all throug no fault of their own. The next time we play I hope to appease them by revealing more of the scenario to give them the full view of what will happen. Which I feel is a bit of a shame as I fool myself into thinking that the scenarios were play tested and there is meaning to the madness of their set up?

So point one - I hope that you will create scenarios that open up for a meaningful strategic decision making for the rebels and you don't fill the scenarios with WTF moments and scenario reversals in the interest of general plot devices.

My second and last point is shorter. I would love for there to be some scenarios where I as the Imperial Player have some room in which elite and unique characters to bring. I know you really want to tell a story, but it would be fun if inspired by the skirmish setup the imperial player had a greater choice of which characters to bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eckhard
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dursten wrote:
Some scenarios are not of the setup reversing kind but some are and the rules don't oblige me to tell. Actually most scenarios are built on the premise of me not telling.

While I agree partly with your argumentation for your first point and think that sometimes as a Rebel it can be hard to foresee what will happen, I want to make two points:

1) Often the story text gives you hints on what you have to do. For your example
in Imperial hospitality the mission text specifies: "Keeping he information out of the Empire's hands is very important, but the operative is your top priority."
So when we were playing the mission as Rebels, we split up our team. Since we knew the timer is often important we did sent someone to the cell right away. After all it was specified as top priority

I agree with you that it is sometimes hard to understand these subtle hints, e.g.
in Generous Donations, the mission text reads:
"You'll have to stick around to let the transfer run." She gives a nasty grin. "Just don't expect the security response to be gentle."
Which, as Rebel, I did not understand as what it means. Namely that after you activated the terminal you have to protect them. When I was Imperial I therefore tried to give my Rebels little hints in that direction.

But I would disagree that something like "turning a mission on its head" happens. I have to add that I did not yet finish a full campaign and thus cannot comment on all missions.

2) My second point is that you write in behalf of your
dursten wrote:
play group (who are strong on tactical skill and weak on role play inclination)

While that is a valid opinion, it is surely not mine. I really enjoy the story telling part of the game. And I would be concerned if in the eagerness to make the game tactically even the exciting stories would be sacrificed. Your play group sounds like people, which might enjoy skirmish much more. There also your second point would be fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this might be a silly question, but I've never done anything like this before.

How does one submit their creation?

Furthermore, if so many people are making missions and maybe 5 get selected, what happens to the rest of the missions?

There is far too much creativity in the IA community for us to only have access to the winners.

I, for instance, came up with a 3 mission mini campaign that fits the requirements and flows together quite well. I'm coming to grips with the fact that there will no doubt be equally awesome or superior missions than mine, so my submission will only be one of the three, but I'd love for everyone to have access to my mini campaign.

I could post it in the files after the contest, but I almost feel as though something should be set up to access all the submissions.

Okay that's my rant...hopefully my first question will be answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan de Wolf
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how to determine the threat level for your custom mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.