Popular Tags: [View All]
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the policies they were trying to force on the Ferguson cops. They actually have to make it a policy, not to choke and beat restrained compliant people! It has to be a policy that a cop can't beat someone just because another cop is beating them. They have to make it a policy not to beat up people for filming them.

Just exactly how insanely out of control are these supposed protectors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be oversimplifying a bit, no? The policies are part of a 131-page consent decree (pdf) representing a negotiated agreement between Ferguson and the Justice Department. All the things you refer to - and everything else I looked at in a quick review - are good police practices that should be taught and made policy in every police department in the country. The fact that police keep fucking up suggests that there are a lot of police forces that need some similar guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expressing my horror and revulsion and lack of understanding how a force that is supposed to be protecting the population was not already trained to these behaviors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
FNH1 wrote:
I'm expressing my horror and revulsion and lack of understanding how a force that is supposed to be protecting the population was not already trained to these behaviors.

Well I think part of it is right there - there's a very strongly held line of thought in some places that police are not there to protect so much as control. I see this philosophy in the actions and words of the police and politicians (never more so than when one of these crimes occurs), and in the invective of people who are decidedly anti-police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
JasonJ0 wrote:
FNH1 wrote:

Well I think part of it is right there - there's a very strongly held line of thought in some places that police are not there to protect so much as control. I see this philosophy in the actions and words of the police and politicians (never more so than when one of these crimes occurs), and in the invective of people who are decidedly anti-police.

That has been the function of "police" in most nations for most of history.

It was/is supposed to be different in the United States of America.
But, then I can remember the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I was quite glad that I had stayed away from what became a 'police riot'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French Polynesia
flag msg tools
mb
Steve1501 wrote:

But, then I can remember the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I was quite glad that I had stayed away from what became a 'police riot'.

How old are you? 70? 75? If you were a college student in 1968 then you are most likely at least 70. I think that must make you the oldest RSP regular. My view is that some populations become tribal in response to police becoming tribal. I suspect the police take the first toxic steps.

Not sure why Ferguson gets the attention around the world except that it's America. Police brutality and freedom from punishment for crimes against the population hardly started in America nor is it the worst here. Is it that nobody cares what cops in England or in Poland or Malaysia do to their victims? I've seen some ugly, ugly things in several countries I lived and worked in.

So I'm guessing if you actually were alive in 1968 and of age then you're probably 72. Since everything in your image gallery is some obscure ship game I think you posting a pic of the real Steve1501 would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

How old are you? 70? 75? If you were a college student in 1968 then you are most likely at least 70. I think that must make you the oldest RSP regular. My view is that some populations become tribal in response to police becoming tribal. I suspect the police take the first toxic steps.

Not sure why Ferguson gets the attention around the world except that it's America. Police brutality and freedom from punishment for crimes against the population hardly started in America nor is it the worst here. Is it that nobody cares what cops in England or in Poland or Malaysia do to their victims? I've seen some ugly, ugly things in several countries I lived and worked in.

So I'm guessing if you actually were alive in 1968 and of age then you're probably 72. Since everything in your image gallery is some obscure ship game I think you posting a pic of the real Steve1501 would be nice.
Well as someone who watches the news I can tell you that often CNN and Sky seem heavily biased towards US news, and so this has a knock on effect as other news services report what they are reporting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

It is because America is supposed to be better.

I'm not sure why you are hounding Steve1501. It's pretty fucking creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French Polynesia
flag msg tools
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Says who? Who says America ought to be judged by an entirely different set of standards? It's also a bit creepy that you're hounding me about what is, at worst, a very faint hounding of Steve. The guy implied he avoided an event from 48 years ago and my impression of the regulars here is the 25-40 year range.

I think it's a fair question, for context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Says who? Who says America ought to be judged by an entirely different set of standards? It's also a bit creepy that you're hounding me about what is, at worst, a very faint hounding of Steve. The guy implied he avoided an event from 48 years ago and my impression of the regulars here is the 25-40 year range.

We have a retiree regular on this board. I'm not sure why anyone should prove to you how old they are.

America ought to be judged by a higher set of standards because America is supposed to be a current super power. Going back a century and a half, America was supposed to be a beacon of freedom. I hold America to a higher set of standards because it is where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

It's not (as the events surrounding the Menedes case should tell you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:

Probably a combination of it's actually being reported nationally, and to us in the UK its seems so extreme.

To us the behavior of some of the US police is the exact reverse of ours and we struggle to conceive how it can be allowed to be that way.

The deescalation thing for a start. Our cops are trained to deescalate and stop people getting hurt. Down in Ferguson they point assault rifles and drive tanks onto the street!

I guess your surprise at outside interest, is the fact that to you in the U.S., the police pointing sniper rifles at the public, and driving tanks is normal. But to us, in the civilised world , its' strange weird and incomprehensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Sterling A wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

I was born in 1946 in Missouri. I am retired and live in Thailand [with my older than me] Thai wife because our Soc. Sec. goes 3 times further.

Since I'm older [and therefore wiser] than all of you, you-all should defer to my superior wisdom and just agree with what I say. {Some of us have decided that Green is the color for all snarky and sarcastic comments.}

That obscure ship game is AH's Midway with Axis and Allies minis on the Battle board. They are posted in the BGG gallery of the Midway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.