Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what's it made out of? if it was "mouse-pad material" i'd be all over it, but vinyl suggests (to me) curling at the edges, etc...

anyone actually used one? thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine lays flat fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Mine lays flat fine.
don...do you store it in a tube? Is it anything like mousepad material? If not, what's "close"? (What does it actually compare to, feel like)...thanks

And...is it exactly the same size as all the boards, or smaller/larger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do store it in the tube it came in. It's very thin vinyl, sort of like the material a banner is printed on, but thinner. Nothing like mousepad material at all.

I lay it out a little before we play, it can hold air sometimes, but if you press it down and let it's weight take over, it lays flat just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto: stored in the tube (play-side out), takes a few moments to flatten out but no problems in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, but i think i'll stick with the boards then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably get the image scanned and printed on the material that mouse pads are made of. You would be looking in the area of about $80-100+ for something like that though in the size that would be needed. It could be done easily enough though if you really wanted to and could find a high enough resolution image to do it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

Sounds like you'd prefer it to not lay flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It's very thin vinyl, sort of like the material a banner is printed on, but thinner.

I would have said like banner material but thicker - perhaps I just buy cheap banners! It lays out fine, and storing it as people have suggested, in its container map side outwards, seems fine.

I prefer it to the boards, but only just!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
You could probably get the image scanned and printed on the material that mouse pads are made of. You would be looking in the area of about $80-100+ for something like that though in the size that would be needed. It could be done easily enough though if you really wanted to and could find a high enough resolution image to do it with.
do you know someplace that would create a mouse pad this size? (i could get the image)...thanks...

(we play enough that i def would consider it, if possible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:

i store the boards flat, and they lay flat when we play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:

As does the roll up mat. Just seems odd that we'd confirm it does and you elect to pass. /shrug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:

As does the roll up mat. Just seems odd that we'd confirm it does and you elect to pass. /shrug
i'm passing because of the "banner-like" vinyl; way too thin for my tastes...that's all...

i have custom banners, so i think i know the "thickness" you're describing...and if it was that thin i just wouldn't use it...i don't mind the boards, but if i had a roll-up "mouse pad like" mat i'd def prefer that...(if i knew a company that would make one using my image i'd order one today)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosh McDaid
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mb
Ender02 wrote:
You could probably get the image scanned and printed on the material that mouse pads are made of.

I wanna do this! ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inkandrage wrote:
Ender02 wrote:
You could probably get the image scanned and printed on the material that mouse pads are made of.

I wanna do this! ^_^
i'm in the process of looking for someone (or some company) that would do this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon & Steve
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are buying Kalidasa expansion and the game mat this weekend. Look forward to our first play too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:

i'm passing because of the "banner-like" vinyl; way too thin for my tastes...that's all...

i have custom banners, so i think i know the "thickness" you're describing...and if it was that thin i just wouldn't use it...i don't mind the boards, but if i had a roll-up "mouse pad like" mat i'd def prefer that...(if i knew a company that would make one using my image i'd order one today)

Oh! Gotcha. Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed when I opened it but I've been pleased with my plays so far. I was worried it would scratch easily but it's been pretty hardy so far. Mouse material would definitely be preferred. I may try and have one printed and sell this if someone makes it happen.

Or this... Mouse mats that size usually come standardized. I know Inked Playmats will print one the same size as a Lifetime table (usually 6' x 30" or so). Someone could scan the file then place it in the center of a 6' x 30" mat and then either have a black star field around it as a border or even player spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inked Gaming has a custom 48" x 48" playmat for around $75 with free s/h...i submitted an image that size to them, with the actual mat i want in the middle (48" x 20") and asked if they could/would trim the excess...

they have no C/S phone number i can find, and i've had trouble emailing my questions to them (keep getting "server down error")...but i registered for an account...and when i got the email confirming my account i "replied" then with my questions and image, so i'll have to wait and see if i hear back from them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

I had some foamboard laying around (from a previous project), when I got the Blue Sun expansion, I took my two boards (base and BS), positioned them on the foamboard, and used some small binder clips (which I also had laying around) to secure the boards in place. Seemed to work alright.

(for my solo games, I usually set up on a card table instead of clearing off the whole dining room table. The two boards ended up hanging over the edges of the card table, but the foamboard provided enough support and stability for gameplay)

sort of a tangent from the game mat discussion, though clipping the gamemat to some foamboard (or a thick enough piece of posterboard/cardboard) could probably have the same effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to pick up the vinyl mat this weekend, unless the store I have in mind has sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Inked Gaming has a custom 48" x 48" playmat for around $75 with free s/h...i submitted an image that size to them, with the actual mat i want in the middle (48" x 20") and asked if they could/would trim the excess...

they have no C/S phone number i can find, and i've had trouble emailing my questions to them (keep getting "server down error")...but i registered for an account...and when i got the email confirming my account i "replied" then with my questions and image, so i'll have to wait and see if i hear back from them...

I thought the mat was 50x20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
John_VW wrote:

I thought the mat was 50x20?
it is...so i had to reduce it to 48x19+, then they will make it on a 48x48...and i'll have to cut off the excess...(top and bottom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Burdett
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have them print the image twice, cut it in half and sell the second one to recoup some of your cost. 48x19 would easily fit twice on a 48x48 board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taxburdett wrote:
You should have them print the image twice, cut it in half and sell the second one to recoup some of your cost. 48x19 would easily fit twice on a 48x48 board.
nice idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Hoping to pick up the vinyl mat this weekend, unless the store I have in mind has sold out.

Got one and a 10% discount on it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.