Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Got the game in the mail at midday, and by the evening, I was launching the first waves toward the beach at Betio. I'm by no means an expert at D-Day at Omaha, but I knew enough to ease into D-Day at Tarawa fairly quickly. If you've played Omaha, you shouldn't have much trouble.

Unlike Omaha, the beach landing sequence is more detailed. And this is where the Marines are going to take a lot of casualties. The first wave landed pretty haphazardly, with about five to six step losses. Fortunately, the LVTs came away relatively intact, enough to transport the whole second and subsequent landings without more than a single turn's delay.

In the meantime, Japanese fire was sporadic rather than intense. The first men on the beach were scattered, but taking shelter behind the seawall, were spared the worst fire. In fact, units that landed further in (inland 1 and 2) were hardest hit. The landing around the Parrot's Beak was subjected to more intense fire and suffered pretty heavy losses.

Fortunately, the turn 4 and 6 landings helped secure the middle of the island. The Marines have a significant manpower superiority there, and were able to methodically reduce the Japanese positions one by one. Once a position has fallen, often a neighboring position becomes vulnerable to approach and close combat. Indeed, no fire combat was attempted until turn 6 or so. The vast majority of the fighting was done by close combat.

Each turn, the Marines suffered anywhere from zero to six step losses from Japanese artillery and defensive fire. The Marines won approximately 2 out of every 3 close combat attempt. So slowly but surely, by turn 8, the goal was to roll up the remaining Japanese positions within reach with minimal casualties and maximum chance of success. By turn 10, I had secured victory quite comfortably (control of at least 10 Japanese positions.)

I was a little surprised to have won the first time out. Unlike in Omaha where every unit feels as exposed to fire as Hal*, in Tarawa units have decent chance of surviving on the beach. The ride in is the worst part for the Marines.

Still, victory in never cheap.

Overall, this was an intense and fun introduction to the game. Omaha feels more difficult, but further playing will determine if my first impression still holds true.

*Hal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wandererdog wrote:

Fortunately, the LVTs came away relatively intact, enough to transport the whole second and subsequent landings without more than a single turn's delay.

Congrats on your first win - keeping the LVTs around is definitely key. I don't understand the reference to delay though. There's a card event (or more than one?) that can delay an incoming wave by one turn, but otherwise if you don't have enough LVTs to transport all the units the leftover ones have to start wading and so won't hit the beach until several turns later.

Now try the longer game - from turn 11 the Japanese start infiltrating, which is a whole different kettle of fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Units on the beach are susceptible to artillery fire. Did you not have any of that?

Easier than Omaha? We'll see about that. This game was nerfed by the designer because it's so hard.

Good luck on the next one. I know for me sometimes I have a serious dose of Beginner's Luck as the game seduces me and then I get smacked down on the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ã…kerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Well done!

Having played the full campaigns in all three D-Day games plenty of times, I'd say Omaha is the best made, best balanced and least difficult of the three. Tarawa is easily the most random and while Peleliu is a better game in my opinion, its biggest flaw is that it's currently impossible to win. I like the changes mr Butterfield made to the rules and Victory conditions for Tarawa, but while it's a good game, for me, it's still losing to Omaha in all aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kansai Chris: you are spot on. I kept my delayed units waiting on the reef for the next taxi. I did not wade in. I thought I'd read somewhere that units could do so. Looks like I was wrong. This error easily erases my "victory." I would've been forced to take greater risks to accelerate my timetable.

From another thread:
soprismb wrote:
It breaks down like this: you HAVE to move toward the beach, two hexes, NO EXCEPTIONS, any units in the water per turn that were NOT transported by LVT. All units are placed in the (what I call) staging hexes, for the turn they enter play. You then put the units that you want to move in by LVT in the box in such a way as to remind you that those units will be going in by LVT. You don't move each piece in when you get enough LVTs. You HAVE to move them in no matter if you have LVTs left or not. The guys that don't have LVT space? They just have to suck it up and wade ashore, unfortunately.

Kurt: Yes, I did conduct arty checks. I lost about 4 steps that way. Perhaps that's below average losses?

Thanks for all the comments and questions. I'm still feeling out this game and learning as I go along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No-one's allowed to win this game first time they play!

I'm a bunch of plays in and still haven't won, although there have been a couple of "just one more turn..." games. Getting the balance right between close combat and regular is really tricky - CC's more effective but step losses will wear your units away, whereas regular combat loses you time which can hand the initiative back to the defenders.

Whatever, win or lose I'm having a ton of fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.