Hide
3 Posts

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wording on Anchornaut rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lou ser
msg tools
Soooo...something has been bothered me, it's probably nothing but I thought I'd ask. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Some cards have the symbol "exhaust" on them, it's the cost, right ? Like "name of the ability" "side action symbol" "exhaust symbol" : "description of the effect of the ability".

But some other cards, like Anchornaut, say stuff like "name of the ability" : "whenever you want during your turn add one exhaustion token on this card and do blablabla".

The only explanation I could fin is that it's to be sure player understand it doesn't cost a side action. But I mean, why not write "name of the ability" "*no side action symbol*" "exhaust symbol"...it just bothers me !

Does it mean something different ? Or is it just different phrasing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction spells and reaction-like abilities have very specific times when they can be used. For example, the Blue Jaguar's ability can only be activated only immediately after another unit comes out. The Gilder's Inheritance ability triggers only when it is destroyed. The Blood Archer's Blood Oath ability can only be used when you are declaring attackers (not after any player declares attackers, like Maeoni's Strike ability).

The Anchornaut's ability can specifically be used only during your turn. There are likely to be other unit abilities that can be triggered at any time, or at other specific times. Because these abilities have different times when they can be triggered, it was made standard that such abilities just use plain text to describe when they are used and what their effect is.

Note that the Anchornaut's exhaustion to use his ability is still a cost, though (although its not currently relevant).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lou ser
msg tools
thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.