5 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero(s) - The Physicist and The Emersons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris B
msg tools
Hi everyone!
My friends and I have been huge sentinels fans for the last few years now, and mid last year we decided to finally make some of our own custom card decks. We have all the official cards, as well as the Cauldron (those are great!) and Yoshi's conversions (also great!).

We tried as best we could to match game effects from those cards to the new ones, keeping their relative power level intact (no fun if heroes are too strong). The first hero, The Physicist has been extensively playtested and seems pretty good and plays consistently, and is super fun with his theme. The Emersons has been playtested alot as well, but not as extensively since its newer. The last ones I'll post later once I'm happier with their power level. Here are two hero decks I wanted to share and get some feedback on! I figured we can use this thread as a tracker and I'll post the specific heroes in their threads.

The Physicist
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21641225#21641225

The first deck, The Physicist, was a gift from my wife on my graduation. Since I actually am a physicist, she thought it would be fun to play a super-hero version of myself whenever we gamed. She even did artwork for many of the cards for me as part of my gift. She came up with the deck theme and the major powers and we just tweaked and playtested it to be fun and in-line. Its ok to be jealous, my wife is great.

The playstyle of this hero is to conduct research by discovering Theories, then playing Experimentalists to test those theories, and ultimately put into play Breakthroughs. Breakthroughs are very strong ongoings with good board presence, but at a big cost of setup and risk (one ongoing to be quickly destroyed!). Like with real research, sometimes it goes in fits and starts, and sometimes it all just clicks. The rest of the deck is around setup, stability, and some fun flair. Ultimately the Physicist plays as a support character, with a great end-game if left undisturbed for too long. His major weaknesses is ongoing/equipment destruction, or killing off of low-health hero targets (My experimentalists!). This deck plays like Absolute Zero, but with more support focus.

The Emersons
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21641255#21641255

This deck was a gift from me back to her! These characters are based on the Amelia Peabody book series by Elizabeth Peters. The Emersons play as a pair of hero targets who explore egyptian ruins, get caught in amazing hijinks, find friends, and save the day. The deck plays as a damage dealing deck, based on Ra, Tempest, and Tachyon. The first hero Radcliff Emerson plays as a strong damage dealing with some good ongoings to boost his damage and survivability, Peabody plays to his strengths and keeps everyone alive with spot-healing and backup.

I hope you enjoy them! I know we enjoy playing them. We just got our first print from PrinterStudio in of these and they look great!

Edit: I Just added a download for Google Drive here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1lXvW7wCWmRd2k5WTZK...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw both of these, I was wondering if the Emersons were the Amelia Peabody clan. Let me opine that you're doing the deck a disservice by not including Akhu el-Efreet (regular card in the deck, 6 HP target. Power: the next time a hero target is dealt damage, redirect that damage to a target of your choice. Reduce damage redirected this way by 1.) and The Cat Bastet (2 HP. At the end of your turn, deal 2 melee damage to the non-hero target with the lowest HP. Increase the next damage dealt to the non-hero target with the lowest HP by 1.)

Adding Nur Misur might be optional. Not sure off-hand what I'd swap out of the deck for them right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
msg tools
Yes, I think you're right. My wife was telling me about all the other characters I should include, but we didn't want to include them as target cards with HP that would die, but we did want to include them as one-shots and ongoings (Hence Abdullah).
I'd love to add in these cards! Any suggestions on what card effects would make sense as one-shot or ongoings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fermi_Dirac wrote:
Yes, I think you're right. My wife was telling me about all the other characters I should include, but we didn't want to include them as target cards with HP that would die, but we did want to include them as one-shots and ongoings (Hence Abdullah).
I'd love to add in these cards! Any suggestions on what card effects would make sense as one-shot or ongoings?

Let me think about how I would restructure those three as one-shots. If you've got Abdullah, then I think the three I mentioned are the only ones I would consider semi-mandatory. Maybe, maybe, maybe Sethos, but he's antagonist at least as much as he is ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
msg tools
Thanks. Sethos features in Fame and Infamy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.