23 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Wuuuuurms! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Wuuuurms yay!

New Mechanic for the Wurm deck is "Tunnel." On the text of each Wurm card, except for the "boss" minion (Mega Wurm), you will find "Tunnel + X." What that means is that when you play the minion, you must "Tunnel" it. To Tunnel a Wurm minion, you remove X cards from the top of your deck from the game. Therefore, you will have two piles. 1) Your deck, and 2) Your removed from the game pile. So, for example you play "Reckless Wurm" - you must then remove the top 2 cards of your deck from the game.

This is a deck-sacrificing deck, or if you'd like, a deck thinner. It can be highly strategic and useful if you play it well (using cards like "Soil Treatment" and "Wurmhole" to help you out), or it can sometimes backfire. We've been playing this deck for 8-9 months and it is a solid power deck. Fun to play with if deck-thinning is your kind of thing (or just going for a crazy powerful Mega Wurm at the expense of your deck - I think I had it up to around 12 power one game..ha). The longer the game goes on, the stronger the Wurm deck can become is the general rule. If you manage to play "Soil Treatment" a few times, your deck can become very powerful.

Wurms PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HVRxtusLCYdUhYUDhrZmI4NHM...

Wurms PP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HVRxtusLCYYnRnSWl4bW85NFE...

MINIONS

(1-4) Slippery Wurm 2P: Tunnel +1. Ongoing: If this minion would be destroyed, move it to another base instead.

(5-7) Reckless Wurm 3P: Tunnel +2. Special: Before a base scores, you may move this minion there.

(8-9) Arrogant Wurm 4P: Tunnel +3. Ongoing: This minion is unaffected by other minions.

(10) Mega Wurm 4P: Ongoing: Each time a Wurm card is removed from the game, put a +1 counter on this minion. See Notes

ACTIONS

(11-12) Soil Treatment: Remove the top three cards of your deck from the game, then shuffle up to three cards removed from the game into your deck. Special: If this card is removed from the game, put it into your hand. See notes

(13) Can of Wurms: Each player discards a random card. You may remove a card from the top of your deck from the game instead.

(14) Digging for Wurms: Shuffle up to three Wurm minions from your discard pile into your deck.

(15) Fallow Ground: Play on a base. Ongoing: For each Wurm card that is removed from the game, increase the breakpoint of this base by 1. See notes

(16-17) Wurmhole: Choose a card removed from the game and put it into your hand. If it is a Wurm minion, you may play it as an extra minion.

(18) Fertile Ground: Play on a base. Ongoing: When this base scores, gain 1 extra VP if you have a tunneled Wurm here. See notes

(19) Wurmcoming!: Play on a base. Ongoing: At the start of your turn, move all tunneled Wurms here, then destroy this card.

(20) Crush of Wurms: Destroy any number of minions whose total power is less than or equal to the number of Wurm cards removed from the game.

Notes:

1) Mega Wurm reads - Ongoing: Each time a Wurm card... To clarify, both Wurm minions and Wurm actions count as Wurm cards.

2)Soil Treatment reads - Special: If this card is removed from the game, put it into your hand. This card is like a Zombie's Tenacious Z - just substitute discard pile for removed from the game pile.

3)Fallow Ground - Remember, "Wurm card" constitutes both minions and actions. So if you have 4 Wurm cards in your removed from the game pile, the base that Fallow Ground is played on will have its breakpoint increased by 4. For example, the Jungle would go from 12 - 16 power needed in order to break the base.

4) Fertile Ground reads - ...if you have a tunneled Wurm here. This means a Wurm that has "Tunnel" in its text. The only Wurm minion that does not have Tunnel in its text is Mega Wurm; all other Wurm minions have Tunnel and therefore every Wurm minion except for Mega Wurm qualifies for Fertile Ground. This is the same for Wurmcoming!

Thanks and have fun. Feedback and critique are welcome please, just keep in mind that this deck has been playtested for quite some time and so don't just assume something is too strong/too weak. I don't mind your opinion on a card ("I think this card may be too strong/weak"), but please be mindful of assumptions ("This card is too strong/weak").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the idea for this set, but couldn't get your card images into the format I needed for the printer I use. So, I decided to recreate your card set. I couldn't find all of the same images so it's a mix of some you used and some new ones. I also took the liberty of renaming a couple of cards, however the card text is otherwise all the same. Below are examples of some of the changes in the set.

This is a rename of the Mega Wurm card.

This is a rename of the Reckless Wurm card.

New image for Can of Wurms.

Rename of the Crush of Wurms card.

Full version of my designs for Alan's Wurms set is in https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ox6jehf9uc0ffy/Wurms-AE.zip?dl=0.
Note: My cards are at 300dpi and include a printer's full bleed edge, so may need to be trimmed down if printing at home.
I also added a rules card to try and summarise the tunneling concept etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Very nice Adam East! Maybe it was a typo, or maybe you wanted to change the card, but Reckless Wurm/Rune Wurm had Tunnel +2 instead of Tunnel +1. Just wanted to inform you in case the change was unintentional. Have you played the deck yet? What did you think?

I have found in my games that people tend to shrug off or just ignore Mega Wurm/Stone Wurm when it comes into play. But then in not too long of time, it usually makes its presence felt lolol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Ugh re the Tunnel+2 .... that was a typo I didn't pick up on. Will fix the card in the Dropbox files later today. Thanks for picking up on that.

Haven't played them yet - have sent them off to the printers, but it'll be a week or two until I get them in hand. Looking forward to trying them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rune Worm card in my set has been updated with the correct card text and the Dropbox zip file (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ox6jehf9uc0ffy/Wurms-AE.zip?dl=0) has been updated. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'll be honest, I was a bit iffy when I first started reading about a different mechanic. However, I found this to be a really interesting and cool idea! I like playing Dominion, so it reminds me of the Trashing mechanic in Dominion with an extra bonus that is extremely helpful. Amazing job.

I guess I just have to say for the Reckless Wurm that its ability is the same as Pirate King. I do not mean to say it is overpowered, per se, but it just sometimes feels weird when a super minion's ability gets copied to a weaker minion in my opinion. But it makes sense thematically, and from your extensive playtesting, I'm guessing you did not have any major issues. Actually, I guess the Slippery Wurm card is another Pirate type of card too, so I'm just gonna assume that's what you were going for!

And I guess I just have some nitpicky "SmashUp" grammar things to point out, but that's usually just me being critical and trying my best to match the wording that the SmashUp game uses. (which the designers themselves do not keep consistent sometimes.) I can definitely understand the meaning of the cards.

Do you have any specific questions or feedback you want? Helping format and make decks is pretty fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess I had one rules thing to note. I am assuming if you use the Halflings' "Rude Awakening" to play some Wurms, you would ignore the Tunnel ability.

1x Rude Awakening - Choose a base. Reveal your hand and play all minions in it onto that base as extra minions; cancel their abilities until the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Hey King2193,

Yes, I did copy some Pirate abilities onto the cards yet it does make sense thematically. For my friends and I, luckily, the Wurms don't feel like the Pirates so this deck has been welcomed into the fold. Also, I was inspired by Dominion when making this deck .

Yes, I do think that Rude Awakening would cancel out the Tunneling effect. I haven't bought the Munchkin expansion so had not considered it. Bring up any grammar issues you want. I like pickiness and trying to make my cards match up with Smash Up lingo, albeit they aren't always consistent in theirs either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Haha, yes, I know what you mean about them not getting wording consistent. Ever looked at The Greenhouse closely? It doesn't tell the player to shuffle the deck. XD but I notice I miss stuff too on my own custom variants as well. So we're all guilty.
Thanks again for making the deck. It looks really exciting and I look forward to trying it out

Actually, I estimated wrong. You don't really have a lot of stuff that red flags for me. I guess the term "tunneled" is weird, but the rules explain it well and it's understandable. (Nice work on creating s creative keyword!) I guess I could say that Arrogant Wurm might say "cannot be affected by other minions" rather than "this minion is unaffected by other minions", but it doesn't change the actual meaning. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Quote:
Arrogant Wurm might say "cannot be affected by other minions" rather than "this minion is unaffected by other minions", but it doesn't change the actual meaning. *shrug*

Yea, that is cleaner. If I ever do update the cards or if someone else does then it would be nice. Let me know what you think about the deck, peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Did you have any ideas about the 2 bases that could compliment this faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
complement* lol.

I really don't enjoy making bases for whatever reason. Please feel free to come up with some ideas or make a couple yourself to post here if you wish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this will help with the notes: (no change on effects)

Quote:
(10) Mega Wurm 4P: Ongoing: Each time a card from Wurm faction is removed from the game, put a +1 counter on this minion.

(11-12) Soil Treatment: Remove the top three cards of your deck from the game, then shuffle up to three cards removed from the game into your deck. Special: If this card would be removed from the game, put it into your hand instead.

(15) Fallow Ground: Play on a base. Ongoing: For each card from Wurm faction that is removed from the game, put a counter on this card. Reduce the breakpoint of this base by 1 for each counter on this card.

(18) Fertile Ground: Play on a base. Ongoing: When this base scores, gain 1 extra VP if you have a a minion with Tunnel here.

(20) Crush of Wurms: Destroy any number of minions whose total power is less than or equal to the number of cards from Wurm faction removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:
complement* lol.

I really don't enjoy making bases for whatever reason. Please feel free to come up with some ideas or make a couple yourself to post here if you wish!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. Yes. XD

Hmmmm... Quick ideas.

Quote:
Wurm Bases

22 Harvest Ground
4 3 2
After this base scores, the winner may shuffle any number of cards in his or her discard pile into his or her deck.

25 Wurm Tunnel
5 3 1
After this base scores, the winner may move one of his or her minions with the highest power here to another base instead of the discard pile.

They are awfully bland, but we can't really make bases that interact with the removed from the game cards. *shrug*

I really liked the premise behind the deck. But truthfully I wanted some other interesting abilities other than copies from the Pirate deck. And some of the actions don't really match up with the theme as much in my opinion. I made my own version of the deck for my group, but I think your deck is pretty awesome! If you wanna see my ideas, I don't mind posting them, but I wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with yours either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
the probem is that removed cards cause a mch larger isssue thn you my realize. With Tunnel being such a cool mechanic you may accidnetly remove ll 5 card sthat gets you your RF cards back. and then you can not use Tunneling as you are removing more and more cards that get you back your stuff. On paper it sound fine but you may not realized how tough the game can be when you are playing a 35, 30, 20 car deck. or you know, wurms no longer eeems viable as they are recovering more of your deck with no way to return cards. I feel one of the wurms should have a built in retrieval. An you should have more retrieval, and more powerful retrieval. The thing is, it is very possible to go down to 1 card in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:
the probem is that removed cards cause a mch larger isssue thn you my realize. With Tunnel being such a cool mechanic you may accidnetly remove ll 5 card sthat gets you your RF cards back. and then you can not use Tunneling as you are removing more and more cards that get you back your stuff. On paper it sound fine but you may not realized how tough the game can be when you are playing a 35, 30, 20 car deck. or you know, wurms no longer eeems viable as they are recovering more of your deck with no way to return cards. I feel one of the wurms should have a built in retrieval. An you should have more retrieval, and more powerful retrieval. The thing is, it is very possible to go down to 1 card in your deck.

Well,to counter that, I think that is why anomia1 created the Soil Treatment card so that doesn't happen. And yeah, it can backfire if you're not careful, but I have yet to see a way for you to be locked out of the game permanently (unless someone Trades with you and takes your Soil Treatments and refuses to play them and you have unlucky Trades to never get them back XD). Having the ability to decide what is in your deck is quite a powerful ability, so the risk of it not working out should also be present. But the deck itself seems consistent in the long run. Eventually, if you get rid of tons of cards, you'll have a small deck that you pretty much get to decide the contents of. I say this without playing the deck much yet though. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
King2193 wrote:
Quote:

Well,to counter that, I think that is why anomia1 created the Soil Treatment card so that doesn't happen. And yeah, it can backfire if you're not careful, but I have yet to see a way for you to be locked out of the game permanently (unless someone Trades with you and takes your Soil Treatments and refuses to play them and you have unlucky Trades to never get them back XD). Having the ability to decide what is in your deck is quite a powerful ability, so the risk of it not working out should also be present. But the deck itself seems consistent in the long run. Eventually, if you get rid of tons of cards, you'll have a small deck that you pretty much get to decide the contents of. I say this without playing the deck much yet though. *shrug*
I missed the last part of soul treatment with it going to your hand if removed from game.s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
You can show me your card ideas Paul King. Either post them here or send me a private message. Decks can always be made better/more interesting.

I will add that I don't believe every card needs to fit into the theme of the deck. Even if you look at the 8 original factions, you will see cards in there that don't match their themes (for example, what first comes to mind is Alien's "Invasion." With that card, the Aliens are borrowing from the Pirate theme too! lollol).

To your concern Gashnaw, when I originally made this deck about a year ago Soil Treatment did not have the special ability it has today. It took some time, but the deck is well balanced. But concerns are welcome since you are playing with a "risky" mechanic.

I like Desocupado's wording on Soil Treatment, but I like the Wurm player to have the option of keeping the card in their removed from the game pile or to put it into their hand when they please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
Reading teh deack again i realize now it ca be abused far more than one may realize. Have a faction that has some amazing cards and then some card that are so-so? I would pair this with aliens. Let the wurms begin exiling things i do not want and bring back combo pieces. (like the alien that gives you 1 VP) I personally wish i could use both aliens an time travelers with wurms but that is against the rules. Still keeping cards like abduction and Invader and scout. I could win by just farming like mad. (Not exactly simple to do but very possible. (I like breaking things, and while this faction does please me, I will still attempt to break it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Quote:
You can show me your card ideas Paul King. Either post them here or send me a private message. Decks can always be made better/more interesting.

Thanks! I agree. Feel free to critique this to your heart's content. Mostly, I found the current Can of Wurms card to be unusual, and I really wanted to not copy Pirate King's ability, if anything.

Quote:
Wurms
Minions

X1(4) World Wurm
Ongoing: Each time one of your Wurm faction cards is removed from the game, put a +1 power counter on this minion.

X2(4) Battering Wurm
Tunnel 3
Talent: Remove the top card of your deck from the game to move this minion to another base.

X3(3) Harvest Wurm
Tunnel 2
You may shuffle one of your cards removed from the game into your deck.

X4(3) Tunneler Wurm
Tunnel 1
Ongoing: When this minion goes to the discard pile, remove it from the game instead.

Actions

x2 Soil Treatment: Remove the top three cards of your deck from the game, then shuffle up to three cards removed from the game into your deck. Special: If this card is removed from the game, put it into your hand instead.

x1 Can of Wurms: Shuffle any number of your cards removed from the game into your deck.

x2 Wurmhole: Choose one of your cards removed from the game and put it into your hand. If it is a Wurm minion, you may play it as an extra minion.

x1 Wurm Bait: Play on a base. Talent: Remove the top card of your deck from the game to move one your minions to here.

x2 Rich Earth: Play on a minion. Ongoing: When one of your Wurm faction cards is removed from the game, this minion gains +1 power until the end of the turn.

x1 Crush of Wurms: Choose a base. Destroy any number of minions there whose total power is less than or equal to the number of your Wurm faction cards removed from the game.

x1 Roar of the Wurm: One of your minions gains power equal to the number of your Wurm faction cards removed from the game.

So, when I think of Wurms, I think of giant, scary, big, fast-moving creatures with big teeth. So i focused on movement and power and the Tunnel manipulation. I increased the power of the 2 power minion to be 3 power because I could not imagine a Wurm being a tiny 2 power minion. Bear Cavalry has done something similar to this already. Roar of the Wurm can be a huge power card all at once. I changed the names of some cards. *shrug* Again, feel free to critique away, count this as some of my ideas on the deck. I haven't had nearly the same amount of playtest experience yet.

Quote:
I will add that I don't believe every card needs to fit into the theme of the deck. Even if you look at the 8 original factions, you will see cards in there that don't match their themes (for example, what first comes to mind is Alien's "Invasion." With that card, the Aliens are borrowing from the Pirate theme too! lollol).

So true XD hahaha. The original factions were a ragtag bunch. The Ninjas also had a movement action.

On another note, have you considered expanding this removed from the game mechanic to other factions? It's kind of interesting, but I am unsure if there would be anything unique to add past what you have here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
No, I have not thought about another deck that removes cards from the game. But two of my Planewalkers do .

I like your ideas ("Roar of the Wurm" MTG much? lol), and my major critique is that I believe there might be too much tunneling and retrieval available, which will probably make it too strong.

I do like the Battering Wurm very much. I am seriously considering adding that in, but I would take away the Tunnel +3 and just keep the talent keeping with my comment above. I also like Harvest Wurm and believe it would be balanced if you took out the Tunnel +3 from Battering. After trying it all out, let me know yo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
A good point on having too much removal and retrieval. So yeah, getting rid of Tunnel 3 would work. That would make Soil Treatment even more special as a card. And yeah, I played MTG for 7 years. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sharvo
msg tools
Ha I probably played about the same amount of time. I'm sure you appreciate my card art choices then lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.