The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ithilien Tracker and threat strength modifiers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie R.
Germany
flag msg tools

Ithilien Tracker reads:

Action: Exhaust Ithilien Tracker to lower the [Threat Strength] of the next enemy added to the staging area to 0 until the end of the phase.

So if say the next enemy added to the staging area is a Hunters from Mordor with the passive ability:

Hunters from Mordor get +2 [Attack Strength] and +2 [Threat Strength] for each Clue card in play.

And I do have one Clue card in play, what would happen?
Since Ithilien Tracker creates a passive ability I reckon the first player gets to choose which ability goes first? But why doesn't Ithilien Tracker just say: "Until the end of the phase, that enemy does not contribute its Threat Strength." like Radagast's Cunning? Also Ithilien Trackers ability doesn't say printed so it considers modified values.

I'm probably more confused about this than I should be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of related to a recent rules thread, and answer from the designer:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21612735#21612735

If all "until end of phase" effects are treated equal it would seem that only the initial threat would be 0, but if it was modified later, the additional threat would count.

Hopefully it will be addressed in the next FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Seu L'eaux
United States
California
flag msg tools
I believe in this case that the Hunters would have 0 threat throughout the phase regardless of their Clue boost, this is because Ithilien Tracker does not say "printed threat" and just "threat".

What's interesting is that it creates an anti-synergy with cards like Spirit Merry. This is the main difference tactically between it saying "does not contribute threat" and "reduces threat to 0". Cards that trigger of off threat (and not printed threat) will be turned off for that one phase (almost always the Quest phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie R.
Germany
flag msg tools
HanOfCards wrote:
I believe in this case that the Hunters would have 0 threat throughout the phase regardless of their Clue boost, this is because Ithilien Tracker does not say "printed threat" and just "threat".

What's interesting is that it creates an anti-synergy with cards like Spirit Merry. This is the main difference tactically between it saying "does not contribute threat" and "reduces threat to 0". Cards that trigger of off threat (and not printed threat) will be turned off for that one phase (almost always the Quest phase).

Wait, Spirit Merry's effect triggers on reveal and Ithilien Trackers ability on entering the staging area. So you could still use Merry's effect and then reduce the enemys threat to 0. That should work.

Ok, now to clarify: We don't have a difinitive ruling on "until the end of the phase" effects on player cards. Alright, I just play it this way:
When Hunters from Mordor enters the staging area he gets 0 threat regardless of his Clue bonus, but if another Clue card is revealed after him (during the same Quest phase), he gets a +2 Attack and Threat strength boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Huntley
msg tools
Pretty sure "set attribute to 0" effects override any bonuses, even whether these bonuses appear later in the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Seu L'eaux
United States
California
flag msg tools
Jezus_ wrote:
HanOfCards wrote:

Wait, Spirit Merry's effect triggers on reveal and Ithilien Trackers ability on entering the staging area. So you could still use Merry's effect and then reduce the enemys threat to 0. That should work.

Hmm yeah I see what you mean. Merry's response is "after revealed" and Ithilien Tracker's is "after added to staging area". Usually you would just add an enemy after it has been revealed but Merry's response shims right in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.