Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again, and welcome once more to the maze of mystery and deception! We'll be doing script #6 this time from the box, since we've all got plenty of experience with the game.

Mastermind: tuxian
Protagonist A: yury1975
Protagonist B: galbolle
Protagonist C: lwdgames

This time, I'd like to try something a bit different in regards to table talk, since this one is a bit more challenging, and the guide recommends liming table talk to the Time Spiral phase, here's my plan.

I am going to randomly shuffle a deck of Protagonist cards, and then number them, 1-8, and send each of you a geekmail with which cards correspond to which number. Each of you will have a different list, so you'll be able to see _where_ cards have been placed by your teammates, but won't know until Phase 4 exactly which card has been played. I'm going to ask that when you play your card, you announce in bold which character you are playing on, and then put the card number in a spoiler block. So your plays should look like this:

Girl Student
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Also, in order to facilitate the Time Spiral discussion, what I was thinking was a period before the game begins for you to observe the board and make your initial thoughts known. Once the Loop begins, posts should be only which cards are being played. When/if the loop ends, there will be a period before I begin the next loop in which you may discuss your thoughts, say 24-36 hours to account for time zone differences? After that, the next loop will begin.

Are you guys willing to try this experiment and see how it goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tragedy Looper PBF #31, spoilers for script #6
We could try it. I'd be more interested in allowing table talk between days and not just loops, but for science, I'm in either way.

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that, but I do want to keep the game moving. We could set it so that you guys are free to discuss between loops, and the next one won't begin until you three indicate you're ready to proceed.

devildevildevil

This script is 4 loops, 7 days, difficulty 4, BTW. Once everyone's in I'll post the incident schedule and set up the board state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwd, I sent your cardlist to you via geekmail. As soon as galbolle and yury check in I'll send theirs, set up the board, and let you do your pre-game discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it seems they're taking their time, I'll go ahead and set up the board and incident list, that way you three can start throwing out ideas as you show up, until the game begins.

Tragedy Set: Basic Tragedy
Loops: 4
Days per Loop: 7

Day 1
Day 2 Suicide
Day 3
Day 4 Increasing Unease
Day 5 Butterfly Effect
Day 6
Day 7 Foul Evil

Initial Board State

Hospital
Nurse
Patient

City
Office Worker
Police Officer
Pop Idol

Shrine
Shrine Maiden

School
Boy Student
Rich Man's Daughter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian,

1. So you are proposing to restrict any discussions during the loop at all? (As far as I understand standard table talk OFF rules allows discussion if we don't name the cards that we are going to play)

2. Separate numbering and then posting my played number in spoiler seems a bit overcomplicated. Why can't we just: publish in the thread "I put card on Boy Student" and geekmail you the card name?

3. I'm curious if Script 6 is recommended by authors for playing with table talk OFF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your questions, Yury:

1) Yes, I'm proposing to limit debate during the loops, since this is a 7-day period and could quite easily bog down in over-analysis.

2) It was a thought I had to make it easier on you guys, but either way works.

3) Yes, the Mastermind guide highly suggests table talk be off for this script, for reasons that will become apparent as the game progresses.

ETA: The Mastermind book states the following, which is not a spoiler, so I feel fine pointing it out.

"It's highly recommended to not allow table talk during the game, but only during the Time Spiral."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm ready to try.

7 days without any discussion seems hard, but it seems that since script was done particular for table talk off mode, it will be too easy and not challenging otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, one more question: will we have Time spiral after end of last loop, but before Final Guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if we make it that far, there will be a chance for you three to compare notes, as it were, before you make your official Final Guess. I'm not that heartless. *laughs*

Now we just need galbolle to hop on board. As far as the secret plays, we can either do it with the numbered cards, or you guys can geekmail me your moves, either way works for me.

Feel free to begin your discussion while we wait for galbolle, since the board start state and the incident list are posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys (I mean Gene and Florent),

Before we start discussion of this particular script I propose to agree about basic rules that should help us to avoid some mess errors during the loop.

1. The leader is the first one who makes his turn (declares where he put his card and send information about the card to Mastermind)

2. In order to avoid 2 forbid intrigue cards - If it seems reasonable that we need to avoid intrigue on two characters this day (e.g. as we had the situation with Shrine Maiden and Girl Student during last game), the Leader should select one of them and put the Forbid Intrigue card on them. Other players will not use their Forbid intrigue cards.
But if leader has some 1-per-loop card that other players do not have and therefore leader think that he should play it rather than forbid intrigue, he plays it, and then the second player should play forbid intrigue using the same algorithm.

3. If it is obvious that we need to move the character from his location and both vertical and horizontal movements are fine - preferable is vertical movement (not a strict rule, but just to give other people some hint where you likely move the character putting the card on him).

Is it fine for you? Is there any other generic rules that we may agree in advance?

Ian, I hope that neither of these rules contradict the letter or the spirit of the Table talk off mode. Otherwise feel free to prohibit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I like the idea of playing cards in leader order, just to keep things flowing, also gives the leader the first option to play 1PL and FI cards. But hinting to others as to which cards you are playing, I'd say that needs to be a no. Feel free to strategize as much as you want before the game begins, and during the spiral, but when playing cards simply indicate where you play, and hopefully the others (since you've all got some experience now with how nasty things can get) will take the hint. After all, part of the fun for the Mastermind is when players do accidentally play two Forbid Intrigues in a turn because we mislead you, heh heh heh.

ETA: Sorry if I misread what you were saying, I'm getting ready for bed here in a sec. General "if we need to do this, this is how we should do it" agreements before the game starts are acceptable, hinting when playing cards is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, sure, no hinting during the game.

I just meant that if I am the second player and see that leader put the card to Shrine Maiden (in last game), I will assume that it is Forbid Intrigue and will not use my forbid intrigue to Girl Student in this case.

But sure even with such strategical approach we can easily misunderstand our actions and put two forbid intrigue cards.

Sorry if my English was confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Becker
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, but I'll need a little time to catch up with the state of the thread, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Florent. So far, the incident list and initial board state are posted, and for this game table talk will be off. If you have any questions, ask and I'll answer when I wake up. You three feel free to make plans now, and we'll get the game rolling in about 24 hours if that works for you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, talking about current script what can we expect?

My thoughts: 3 incidents that add intrigue and paranoia tokens. Plus suicide. Plus 1 character with just 1 paranoia limit. It seems that incidents will have massive effect on the game. So our first priority (at least during loop 1) will be to avoid incidents.

It means: Paranoia -1 cards on potential culprits and goodwill +2 on Boy Student and Nurse. The third goodwill +2 we can use on either Pop Idol or Police Officer to reveal culprit of one incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Becker
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxian wrote:
I thought about that, but I do want to keep the game moving. We could set it so that you guys are free to discuss between loops, and the next one won't begin until you three indicate you're ready to proceed.

I think this is the best way to do. With time shenanigans (haha), 24 hours does not allow a lot of back and forth. And seeing us scrambling to come up with some strategy should be as enjoyable for you as actually playing the loop themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That day 2 Suicide is a bit of a concern. I wouldn't be surprised if it sets off a chain reaction... for example, the Loved One dies, which causes the Lover to trigger Increasing Unease, etc.

Again, we have Foul Evil in play, and on the last day this time. I'm going to assume this time that it's directly related to the main plot (The Sealed Item or Giant Time Bomb). We shall soon see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, it is possible that events will happen fast.

Any other ideas about our strategy during loop 1, that we should agree in advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
Again, we have Foul Evil in play, and on the last day this time. I'm going to assume this time that it's directly related to the main plot (The Sealed Item or Giant Time Bomb). We shall soon see.

I have the same feeling about Foul Evil. Let's try to efficiently manage the paranoia using goodwill abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
lwdgames wrote:

I have the same feeling about Foul Evil. Let's try to efficiently manage the paranoia using goodwill abilities.

Until the mastermind's strategy becomes clear, I think we need to assume that if there's a card on the Shrine, then one of us needs to play Forbid Intrigue there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's also add goodwill to Shrine Maiden to control intrigue in Shrine.

So our goodwill targets (until mastermind's strategy become clear) should be Shrine Maiden, Boy Student and Nurse. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:

So our goodwill targets (until mastermind's strategy become clear) should be Shrine Maiden, Boy Student and Nurse. Right?

And after that, Pop Idol would be very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
yury1975 wrote:

And after that, Pop Idol would be very useful.

Pop Idol's abilities are good, but quite "expensive" unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I wouldn't be surprised (since this script was created particular for table talk off mode) if deaths will start from day 1. Without table talk it will be much more difficult to make right actions to avoid the damage from serial killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.