Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Naturalizing: The opponent's power, priority, and range cannot exceed printed values during this beat.

What happens when Kehrolyn plays Mutating with her Current Form being Bladed, for example? Does the Power+2 duplicate or is it limited to 2 this beat? The highest printed value is 2, so her max power should be 2, right?

And is it just me or is Kehrolyn too good? She can get Stun Guard 4+ and Soak 4 (!) in two successive beats and always manage stun guard. Rotating Mutating, Bladed and Exoskeletal is extremely good and she can always opt for something else that's just as viable if needed.

Lixis really doesn't stand a chance, because she has very little chances of stunning Kehrolyn even if she goes first (which won't happen often). Even with extra bases discarded, Kehrolyn has too many options, I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Kehrolyn's Current Form, including duplication by Mutating, all counts toward her printed values.

If Kehrolyn is playing in this manner Lixis should exploit Kehrolyn's natural lack of range, combined with nullifying ranged bases either via her UA or through clashing (which is made easier with her UA).

Remember to bleed Kehrolyn for 1 Life at the end of both Mutating beats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
(Note, I haven't played this particular match-up, but I have played Lixis, and Kehrolyn)...

GoldSirius wrote:
Naturalizing: The opponent's power, priority, and range cannot exceed printed values during this beat.

What happens when Kehrolyn plays Mutating with her Current Form being Bladed, for example? Does the Power+2 duplicate or is it limited to 2 this beat? The highest printed value is 2, so her max power should be 2, right?

Kehrolyn's form is considered to be an extra style, not a modifier. Mutating "becomes" whatever the style or form is. Because of that, I'm pretty sure that the Power+2 duplicates to Mutating. That said, it's not game breaking if you rule it the other way.

GoldSirius wrote:
And is it just me or is Kehrolyn too good? She can get Stun Guard 4+ and Soak 4 (!) in two successive beats and always manage stun guard. Rotating Mutating, Bladed and Exoskeletal is extremely good and she can always opt for something else that's just as viable if needed.

Lixis really doesn't stand a chance, because she has very little chances of stunning Kehrolyn even if she goes first (which won't happen often). Even with extra bases discarded, Kehrolyn has too many options, I find.

Kehrolyn's a machine, and in competent hands will win against pretty much anyone in a straight up low-range fight. Her weakness is that she's predictable, and that she has really crappy range and movement. For example, barring the standard bases, she only has one movement effect, and it's an end of beat effect. While Lixis is equally movement restricted, she has a lot of mid-range options and if she can out-position Kehrolyn should be able to walk away with the win.

Something else to note, Lixis' UA is going to force Kehrolyn to rely even harder on her UA than most characters, since her technique is all about chaining styles. It won't shut Kehrolyn down but since she's an already predictable character due to the desire to capitalize on whatever her current form is, once Lixis can get a couple of hits in it'll start being really hard for Kehrolyn to keep the advantage, especialy in light of her crappy maneuverability and Lixis' superior range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One other thing. Kehrolyn is a bit more predictable than most characters but gets big stats as a tradeoff, whereas Lixis is slower and has better range than many but doesn't have to think about her UA at all. Because of this, optimal play for both of them is pretty close to a hypothetical base-only Battlecon match. So both when fighting with and against them, it's all about knowing the interactions between the bases, predicting what people are going to play, and using that counter. Lixis especially is all about playing a base-only duel where the counter is always available since her UA is all about removing her opponents options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
cathexis wrote:
(Note, I haven't played this particular match-up, but I have played Lixis, and Kehrolyn)...

GoldSirius wrote:

Kehrolyn's form is considered to be an extra style, not a modifier. Mutating "becomes" whatever the style or form is. Because of that, I'm pretty sure that the Power+2 duplicates to Mutating. That said, it's not game breaking if you rule it the other way.

GoldSirius wrote:

Kehrolyn's a machine, and in competent hands will win against pretty much anyone in a straight up low-range fight. Her weakness is that she's predictable, and that she has really crappy range and movement. For example, barring the standard bases, she only has one movement effect, and it's an end of beat effect. While Lixis is equally movement restricted, she has a lot of mid-range options and if she can out-position Kehrolyn should be able to walk away with the win.

Something else to note, Lixis' UA is going to force Kehrolyn to rely even harder on her UA than most characters, since her technique is all about chaining styles. It won't shut Kehrolyn down but since she's an already predictable character due to the desire to capitalize on whatever her current form is, once Lixis can get a couple of hits in it'll start being really hard for Kehrolyn to keep the advantage, especialy in light of her crappy maneuverability and Lixis' superior range.

Right, it's not a modifier. However, it's a printed stat. So they would not duplicate when Lixis plays Naturalizing, since the opponent cannot exceed printed stats. Printed stat is 2.

Anyone can confirm or refute this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed value refers to the printed values of the whole attack pair, summed, not the printed value of each card individually. This includes Kehrolyn's Current Form. So the printed power of a Mutating (Bladed) Drive is 2+2+3.

It seems like you're trying to get us to say that Kehrolyn's power is capped at 2 for her entire attack pair, which is simply not true. You would not, for example, expect this to apply to an opponent who plays a +0/+0/+0 Style, because that would be ridiculously overpowered.

The sorts of effects negated by Naturalizing are OH: +Power effects, Malice Tokens or the Geyser environment marker, the Power bonus on Karin's Full Moon, the +maximum range on one of Hikaru's and Rukyuk's Tokens, a bunch of Runika's artifacts, the EoB: on Cadenza's Battery Style, the Reveal effect on Sarafina's Locus, Malandrax's traps, and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
tankbard wrote:
Printed value refers to the printed values of the whole attack pair, summed, not the printed value of each card individually. This includes Kehrolyn's Current Form. So the printed power of a Mutating (Bladed) Drive is 2+2+3.

It seems like you're trying to get us to say that Kehrolyn's power is capped at 2 for her entire attack pair, which is simply not true. You would not, for example, expect this to apply to an opponent who plays a +0/+0/+0 Style, because that would be ridiculously overpowered.

The sorts of effects negated by Naturalizing are OH: +Power effects, Malice Tokens or the Geyser environment marker, the Power bonus on Karin's Full Moon, the +maximum range on one of Hikaru's and Rukyuk's Tokens, a bunch of Runika's artifacts, the EoB: on Cadenza's Battery Style, the Reveal effect on Sarafina's Locus, Malandrax's traps, and so forth.

? I'm not trying to get you to say anything. That's just the way I saw it. I didn't think the two Styles' Power values would add in this case.
Of course, the Base stat would be added, I just didn't mention it.

I get it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex K
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Totally makes sense!

I think the thing that's a little unintuitive here is that Mutating has "+0" printed on it, and then changes to increase those stats afterward. I suppose it's better to think of it as really becoming a copy of the other card, and changing what's "printed" on Mutating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.