Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often struggle with knowing when to ritual. I am usually tempted to improve my board state unless I'm far ahead in power.

It's usually a terrible idea to run out of power first. So, when do you go for the ritual?

Is it if you have four gate then always do it? Three?

Your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my small amount of experience there are 2 times when I ritual.

First, I think you need to do it to win. So when you are about to win, and a Ritual will get you there, do it. That's the simple one.

Generally my thought here is to do it "just before the other players". If you do it and then they decide not to, then you are going to have a rough turn. But if you made them change their mind, then you scored something against them as they are now "behind", and will need to ritual eventually and then you'll get a good turn.

I like to do it when I'm first and think my opponents also want to do it. Don't underestimate the fact that when you ritual, the cost goes up for the next guy. Most likely he's already made plans for his turn based on the current cost. Just adding 1 might ruin his plans.

I do find this decision an excellent part of the game.

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will almost certainly ritual with 4 or 5 gates. I might ritual with 3 gates. I rarely ritual with 2 or 1 gate. It really depends on so many things it's hard to come up with any clear rules when to do it and when not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you ritual, and it puts you clearly in 1st place, and other players have a glut of power, you are in a very vulnerable position. I've lost a fair share of games when I did a ritual with 4 or 5 gates, and everyone else didn't, and then I got decimated.

So I'd say:
1) Ritual if it has a decent chance of winning you the game
2) Ritual if you'll still have comparable power to everyone else after doing it
3) Ritual if you're lagging behind, and don't think the other players will take advantage of your vulnerability
4) DON'T Ritual if the frontrunner is vulnerable because he's done one, that way you can slug him, take a few gates, and THEN subsequently ritual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Keep in mind that if you ritual, and it puts you clearly in 1st place, and other players have a glut of power, you are in a very vulnerable position. I've lost a fair share of games when I did a ritual with 4 or 5 gates, and everyone else didn't, and then I got decimated.

So I'd say:
1) Ritual if it has a decent chance of winning you the game
2) Ritual if you'll still have comparable power to everyone else after doing it
3) Ritual if you're lagging behind, and don't think the other players will take advantage of your vulnerability
4) DON'T Ritual if the frontrunner is vulnerable because he's done one, that way you can slug him, take a few gates, and THEN subsequently ritual

5. Ritual if you can run the game clock out while in the lead.

On the primeval map I found myself ritualing with only two gates frequently because there was so much power and I was ahead and wanted to end the game by sudden death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
With 3 and a GOO I ritual more than half the time. With 3 or with 2 and a GOO I ritual sometimes. With more than that I ritual most of the time, and with less almost never.

All of this depends on game state, of course, but those are my general inclinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quazi Kenshin
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OPACY
badge
{^,^} meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, you are doing two things when you perform a ritual:

- You are giving up power for an opportunity to score bonus doom points;

- You are controlling the "game clock" by driving up the ritual cost and scoring doom points.

As a player, you are constantly evaluating the cost basis for any decision you make based on everyone's progress in relationship to when you think the game is going to end.

Since the game is designed to creep along to an unavoidable conclusion, it is a race amongst players to accomplish their goals efficiently, sabotage each other's efforts all while contributing to the pace at which the world marches towards its doom.

You don't necessarily need to be the one who ends the game... you just need all your spell books and more doom points than anyone else when the end comes.

Having said all that, there isn't a clear cut case when you should "always" perform a ritual.

For example, let's say I've got 5 gates, all my GOO(s) in play and a bunch of power going into the next turn. I should definitely ritual... every time, right?

Most of the time, it's probably an awesome idea, but what if you're Windwalker with 5 books, no one else has 6 yet and a ritual would drive the doom and / or ritual track to "game over" territory? Congratulations, you just tanked the game for everyone, triggering a win for humanity... you jerk.

Think of the ritual as one of the many tools available to you over the course of the game (i.e. rituals are situational and with experience, the game state will guide you towards making a wise choice). I generally tend to use rituals to control the game's pace and Elder Sign tokens to trigger the game end, but that is by no means the only / best way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.