Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't explicitly define "majority control of an area", as far as I can tell. I assume it strictly means "I have to have a greater number of MERCS in an area than the OpFor", and ties mean no majority.

If this is the case, then one highly trained and armed elite MERC is incapable of subduing a lowly worker. It takes two. One highly trained operator is unable to wrangle Billy the Intern. Just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need majority in the area.

It's not about the theme aspect of highly trained Merc being able to capture a secretary by himself. It's a game mechanic in play to make for more decisions and planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:
If this is the case, then one highly trained and armed elite MERC is incapable of subduing a lowly worker. It takes two. One highly trained operator is unable to wrangle Billy the Intern. Just checking.

I remember Brian recently commented that it takes two highly trained officers to subdue a suspect IRL; one to cover, and one to cuff/zip, etc. Can't remember if that was on video or in KS comments though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
Grim6 wrote:

I remember Brian recently commented that it takes two highly trained officers to subdue a suspect IRL; one to cover, and one to cuff/zip, etc. Can't remember if that was on video or in KS comments though.

It was on here, but it only takes on officer with a taser or pepper spray, or pointing a gun at someone and telling them to lay down. He tried to explain it thematically, but it makes no sense. Especially cowaring employees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game mechanic, pure and simple. Just like having to reload after a few attacks, or shotguns causing collateral damage to a building and reducing capacity. Same thing with SecFor targeting higher priority Mercs.

Game mechanics that make players to use some brains instead of just running around, shooting/defending, shooting/defending etc all game long. That would make for a boring game real quick. See: Ghostbusters the Board Game for sucks play like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game takes so much liberty on behalf of theme, I don't see why this is the place to draw the line.

But, the problem, gameplay wise, is that combined with some of the other rules about area capacity, it can lead to these weird rules impasses, where you have MERCS and employees staring each other down, not able to capture or move. It also goes against the 'yes but...' theory of game design, and has left me feeling like my hands are tied.

I feel like two rules additions would make it better -

1. An action to grab or push an employee, moving them either into or out of your area. Maybe 2 CP. Make make it some sort of roll. Scared people can be squirrelly.

2. An exception that a single MERC can subdue a single employee for 3 CP. Sure it takes longer, but you can do it.

This would at least give me options... and pros and cons to balance. That is fun. But this is just another straw for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had 2 employees standing in front of a door to a room with an objective token. I moved the CCC Leader into that space to scan the room. Sure enough it was the mission objective token in there.

Since I had several Mercs in LoS of those employees/workers, they were cowering and wouldn't get out of the way for me to B&C that room. I could have chosen to spend the round to move my Mercs in order to not have majority in LoS, so the workers would move in the OpFor phase. But I didn't want to take up that time, so I had one of the guys kill the 2 workers to make room for my other Mercs in that area.

Morally, I can think of it thematically as using a tranquilizer gun on them to knock them out. Mechanically, I did clear the area for 2 more Mercs to fit there, and I had to put the "tranqed" workers on the casualty track and have to roll 2 Cd8's for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not the first time I've read about people 'solving' these problems by moving around to manipulate the employee movement algorithm, which seems like an indicator of a problem in the rules. If you could have yanked the employees out and subdued them, at least you would have had some not terrible options to weigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really wasn't a big deal. If you have to jack around by pulling or pushing the employees out of that are, them you are still manipulating something.

In 5 games, I have only had to deal with employees in an area like this. I took made a choice in dealing with it and went on. I had a blast and won the game without having to change the rules.

At the end of the day, everyone can play their game how they want to. Some people may not like the capacity rules for areas and totally ignore them. Or they may think 3 CP'S is too much to reload and they reduce it to 1 CP. Lots of options for people to make the game play the way they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I can see is a certain "squeamishness" in taking out bystanders. It seems some players are deciding that their Mercs are the "good guys" and morally above such tactics.

If it keeps your conscience clean assume that reducing them to 0 blood is merely wounding/knocking them out after all the track reads Casualty not Killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right Nick, people can easily look at it as if their Merc used a tranquilizer gun on the employee.

Also, the rules as is, makes the Kemvar Assassin ability to always have majority, more unique and useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
The only problem I can see is a certain "squeamishness" in taking out bystanders. It seems some players are deciding that their Mercs are the "good guys" and morally above such tactics.

If it keeps your conscience clean assume that reducing them to 0 blood is merely wounding/knocking them out after all the track reads Casualty not Killed.

Heh. I think MCG (and Brian's) game designs are all about the consequences of the decisions we make. That's something that I appreciate about their games.

So if players want to have the MERCS be the good guys and not take out innocent civilians... then they need to deal with the consequences.

If you think about it, the MERCS will be going in loaded for bear (SecFor). They're not going to have the time to swap weapons (tranquiliser guns) to deal with civilian employees.

That said, it's your game so ... houserule away!

(I actually lost one game due to that same squeamishness. Not directly... but down the line. Going the extra mile to avoid civilian casualties added extra time on to my MERCS headed for the Objective... which allowed the security level to ramp up, bringing in more SecFor that eventually led to them surrounding and cutting my MERCS into pieces. Consequences of a decision made earlier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.