Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have ideas or house rules in place for the use of the Ix, Landsraad, Bene Tleillaxu or Idualians with the Spice Harvest?

I had a few ideas but would like to see how others are playing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not playtested these enough to swear that they're fully balanced or that there aren't horrible combinations between the 12 factions.

Bene Tleilaxu
You lose any contested strongholds. The contesting player deploys a number of their tokens equal to the troop difference even if your total was greater. However, you may choose to infiltrate the stronghold and replace one of their tokens with one of your starred tokens.
This fits thematically with the BT abilities, allows them to block large initial deployments, but also keeps them mostly off planet as they should be at start.

Ginaz
Once before you commit troops, you may openly discard any number of stronghold access cards. Replace each discarded card with a new access card.
I feel like this one speaks for itself.

Iduali
You do not receive the starting 10 spice and are not a party to the harvest report. Instead, you may steal two spice from another player immediately before each bid for power. You may not steal from the same player twice in a row.
Again, thematic in nature. Also keeps the expansion more manageable with extra factions in play.

Ix
You do not receive the starting ten spice and are not a party to the harvest report. Instead, at the start of each bid for power, you receive one spice for every two access cards available (rounded up).
Ix isn't in CHOAM or directly associated with spice harvesting. This is just a copy of a treachery card bidding round ability they have. Their take probably needs to be lowered though.

Landsraad
You receive at least two share cards during each harvest report if you are not the manager. The highest of your shares must be placed face-up for everyone to see. If multiple cards are tied for highest, you still only reveal a single card.
This is a great way for the manager to mess with everyone. I have add cards for the manager to pick from for each player over six.

Ordos
For each stronghold to which you commit troops, reduce your starting spice by three. This reduction happens whether you win or lose contested strongholds.
Ordos abilities incorporate their mercenary army and require payment like this all through the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "official" stuff is here, fwiw:
http://www.sorvan.com/games/dune/Rules/GrandDUNE.html

Then again, the official expansion factions are not very well done anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I have a ruleset i think will be a good place to start.

I plan to tweek and test until I've got something together I feel is balanced and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
All said, I feel that the Guild ability needs a variant, or clarification. Their ability just seems...odd.

If anything the spice hungry Guild should have to pay up for an additional harvest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.