Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: Re-Releases Confirmed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Badi Dea
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hi all, first post here - But this is the first time I've noticed something and there hasn't already been a post about it.

I noticed these on miniature market - no info about it on wizkids site though. Looks like we are getting some re-releases of the more powerful ships that are getting tough to find (I ended up ordering my Ent E and Scimitar from Australia...)

Enterprise(E? maybe?) : http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/49475...

Scimitar : http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/49476...

Negh'Var : http://www.miniaturemarket.com/catalog/product/view/id/49477...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It makes sense for them to rerelease the expansions that sell well refreshed with the better paint jobs and time token torpedo cards.

Now we just need to see if they add a few extra cards for those of us who own the ships already.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a refresh of the Starter with time token torpedoes and better painted ships in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools
I have yet to see a listing of the Neg'var or the Simitar, but the Enterprise that is getting re-released is the Original Enterprise. With a slightly updated paint scheme. From the preorder listing that i've read, it seems to include the same cards as the initial release, but doesnt directly say that all the tokens are there. So in that aspect, i figure the pack will be stripped out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Things like this have been mentioned obliquely in another thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1506723/changes-wave-2425

But it is nice to have some confirmation from your source that these are definitely a new version of the previous packs rather than simply the same packs resold. Granted new version is likely to mean, as others have speculated, primarily being torpedoes updated to the time token mechanic. But perhaps there will be other small changes or additions as well- possibly repainted models.

If the 'new' content is solely time token torpedoes and a repainted model I will look forward to these waves because I'll be able to save money by not needing to repurchase! It will be nice to have a couple waves with some respite for some wallets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By "original Enterprise" I wonder what you mean? The NCC-1701? The NX-01? Or do you mean the original ship given us (the NCC-1701-D)?

I don't mind re-releases (though I don't promise to buy them) but there are ships that I would like more (there's a whole other thread for that). What would scare me is the talk I heard on "Red Maneuvers" about their ideas for retiring ships the way they retired resources. I think that is a TERRIBLE idea, though since I seldom play OPs anymore it really doesn't affect me very much. It would be bad enough to have to buy a new NCC-1701E (which I might almost want if it had a better perk) or the NCC-1701 (maybe to get a better model?) but to lose access to iconic ships just because they were older would be dumb IMHO. The whole reason I play the game is theme. If I can't see the iconic hero ships on the board, I'm not interested in playing. Course that may be just me.

So I guess I'll wait to see if these re-releases actually come out and if so, what they contain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reynolds
Canada
flag msg tools

this work? release date is a few months off though, which makes sense based on manufacture time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
carbon_dragon wrote:
What would scare me is the talk I heard on "Red Maneuvers" about their ideas for retiring ships the way they retired resources.

I've never heard of this, but I agree it would be painfully stupid if they did it chronologically by release (like resources). Klingons would literally lose their best and only really good non-SomKor ships, their best Martok, several solid captains, their best dispruption cards, and quite a few of their best crew. Once the Ch'tang retired, then the other good Martok and the best Br'rel are gone.

Now, if these re-releases have altered/new text for cards, I don't know how I'd feel about retiring the old versions. It would feel like a cheap gimmick to have us buy product without generating very much new content. Still, an IKS Negh'var with better text would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship retirement is the myth that refuses to die. I haven't listened to that episode, but from what I can tell it usually has two foundations:

1) Specious heroclix comparisons

2) Wishful thinking by people who keep hoping that they'll rerelease every ship using whatever "balanced and inherently more sophisticated" formula FFG is using this week (lol)

If I had to make a list of things to be worried about with this game, retirement wouldn't even make the top 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
By "original Enterprise" I wonder what you mean? The NCC-1701? The NX-01? Or do you mean the original ship given us (the NCC-1701-D)?

I think he very clearly meant the NCC-1701 which is commonly referred to as the Original Enterprise (which he did)- referencing TOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
I'm torn on this one. If it's true, which right now no one knows if :

A) it's true

B) How it would work if retirement was done

From a causal gaming perspective it is meaningless. Causal games are just that its what you want, so no change or impact there.

From an OP perspective I can understand the argument from the podcast expressed by 2 of the gentlemen that it would make the OP aspect better for the new players getting into the field and help keep the game fresh. Not saying I agree 100% but I see there point. Can find the pod cast on red bank man (on facebook).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I partly thought the re-release would be simply their version of a "reprint" as they have updated many of the sculpts and they can switch production over to the new design now, with everything else the same...

Although that doesn't explain the Scimitar... Maybe they wanted to make it even cooler... (Considering how "early" it was before they started doing repaints, it's a pretty good model)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Ship retirement is the myth that refuses to die. I haven't listened to that episode, but from what I can tell it usually has two foundations:

1) Specious heroclix comparisons

2) Wishful thinking by people who keep hoping that they'll rerelease every ship using whatever "balanced and inherently more sophisticated" formula FFG is using this week (lol)

If I had to make a list of things to be worried about with this game, retirement wouldn't even make the top 20.

No, sorry, Red maneuvers wasn't saying they thought WK was going to do it. They were going to do it themselves (at least a couple of them were) and they were trying to promote it as an idea. At least two of them were going to do it for a year and try to create tournaments at their store to enforce those rules. I was saying it would be a novelty to try it once or twice but I wouldn't be up for the idea and hoped WK didn't try to emulate them.

Sorry if I unintentionally misled anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
If WK did do a retirement type protocol (Not saying its going to happen/ not a fan of it myself), would it work better if it was on a ship by ship replacement process. In other words they retire 1701 enterprise (kirk and the gang TOS) only whe they release a new retail pack with new/modified cards and hopefully a better scale model. Either as a special release or part of there normal 3 ship release per month.

Just an idea to see how everybody else feels. Not a retirement fan myself but if they did it like this I "could" (grinding teeth) accept it. If they retire ships and no replacements for months or over a year with no enterprise, vorcha, kirk, spock, picard etc... would not be good, cool or happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim M
msg tools
I think the talk of the re-release is a mix of

1. The ability to put out better looking models
2. Make available very 'hard to find' ships - ie the Scimitar.

At least, thats the logic as far as those of us at my local game store can tell. In so far as we've been able to figure out, the cards will be exactly the same as the previous versions of the ships.

I hope this means that hard to find expansions like the USS Voyager will come back on the market again as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
I saw on mini mart that the Scimitar and other 2 AR listed as the "2016 versions" don't know if that means anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I so frickin hope that reissue of the Enterprise-E comes out. I cannot find one at a decent price and I really want it (its a pretty good ship in game).

I had stopped play for quite a while so I missed it.

A friend who owns an FLGS said they are doing new paint jobs on them. Did someone tell WizKids Fed ships ARE NOT powder blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericphillips wrote:
Did someone tell WizKids Fed ships ARE NOT powder blue?
Yes, but they also inexplicably told them that they look like stainless steel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Amperglyph wrote:
ericphillips wrote:

So true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Amperglyph wrote:
ericphillips wrote:

So, what color would that make the Negh'Var? Same color scheme seen on the Amar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they should be unconventional with a nice pink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real warriors like pink?

http://img01.deviantart.net/3a67/i/2011/151/1/6/worf__s_secr...

... *cough* ^^;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At least warriors unafraid to embrace their feminine side. That's great, did you draw that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, a friend of mine shared that with me after I showed them the movie Men in Tights. ^^ I could totally see Bashir and O'Brien sharing a chuckle over that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls