Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Stevenson
Australia
Fortitude Valley
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

My kids spotted this when it arrived and were instantly taken with the cave cards and the cardboard minis.

They are between 6 -8 years old.

Looking at the rules video I am wondering if there is a simpler way to play this. I have not had a chance to get it to the table - only arrived yesterday.

Obviously if I think of anything I will post here as well but maybe someone can give us a head start.

Rewards for killing monsters would be one thing that comes to mind - as in them dropping loot when killed. Small things that will keep small kids interested.

Maybe dumb down some of the more tactical take that type of play? I can always introduce the more tactical elements in a layered way. I usually play co-op games with them (except King of Tokyo LOL)

Thanks Guys
Loc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Fair enough. I believe, once you start playing the game, you will see that it is quite simple really.

As for rewards when killing monsters, an easy solution to that would be that they draw a Fortune card and place it where they are.

The game is rated 13+ but I am quite sure that is for financial reasons. If a game is produced for ages under 13 then it has to be "tested" for safety, etc., and this testing costs a few thousand dollars. Most games I own state 13+ but can easily be played by the average 8 year old.

If I was to REALLY simplify Sculldug I'd probably not use the Fortune cards at all and just use coins (or lollies) as the loot. Whoever makes it back to the entrance with, say, 5 coins/lollies wins (hand size would be altered to match). I'd not use the Dazed cards either. The Hazard cards are easy enough to follow.

More simplifications (for very young players) would be to limit the actions. No Throw, Destroy, Dash. Just Move, Push, Pick up and Drop.

When my children are old enough, (all three are below 2 years old at the moment), I will attempt to play this with them using the standard rules and simply play along with them or supervise so they don't get stuck.

Not sure if this is what you were after, but best of luck! Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
And yeah, the cardboard standees are awesome. I prefer these to minis. Young children would too, I think, because of the colours. The designers did a good job with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stevenson
Australia
Fortitude Valley
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks Lenny some good ideas there for sure.

They will likely surprise me with their ability to grasp the game and should be beating me in no time.

We are going to try a quick game this afternoon and see how they go.

I think the whole exploring and card placement will reel them in.

Interesting info about the age categorization. I must admit that has had me curious about the discrepancy between publisher recommendations and the BGG community recommendations.

Cheers
Loc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glint Bladesong
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been playing this my 8 year old daughter since I got it with (a week or so) without any rule changes (about 4 games so far).

I couldn't see anything in the rules that should cause any troubles, the only thing I did the first couple of times we played was go easy on the "targeting the other explorer" aspect of the game.

However she worked out by herself pretty quickly though that it helps if you DO target the other player and pretty soon I was getting Monsters summoned onto me, traps placed in my path and anything else she could think of, so it was game on at that point.

As a point of reference her favourite board games currently are Ticket To Ride, Orleans, Fluxx and now Skulldug is on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GlintBladesong wrote:

As a point of reference her favourite board games currently are Ticket To Ride, Orleans, Fluxx and now Skulldug is on that list.

Wow. She's advanced for her age. I haven't tried that awesome game with my 8 year old or my 11 and 12 year olds yet for that matter!

Skulldug! should be fine for 8 year olds imo. I'm going to give it a shot with my 5 year too. (I have five kids if you're trying to add them all up!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stevenson
Australia
Fortitude Valley
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks guys.

Did not make it to the table - first week back at school and all but as a reward for this weekend it is a definite.

Yes I will also go a little easy on the player targeting especially as my boys have only really played Kong of Tokyo and Dungeons! extensively and sat in on some co-op games. So it has been pretty simplistic for them so far.

Still as has been mentioned kids are freakishly adaptable and generally have the political nouse of Machiavelli.

Cheers
Loc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HurriKane
United States
Littlestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played the game with my 12, 10, and 6 year old... No modifications.. It worked well.

I also played with 4 cub scouts from Grades 3-5 one night and they loved it. It has that adventure feel.

Contemplated taking out the Damned Spirit , pills, and pipe cards for language and drug references (the kids didn't comment or anything..I think it went over their heads).

Any opinions?

Figured they can get healed with the pools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.