Popular Tags: [View All]
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love is not what it used to be! – an in-development adventure pack for the community project.

Hi everyone I am developing an adventure pack for the community project and have started this thread to provide information on its progress and receive criticism and feedback.

Love is not what it used to be! is a quest chain, in four parts about the discovering of a crypt of a mysterious historical figure named, Terik-na. Spirits are introduced as a new monster type, one which can be represented by any models, with unpainted figures working particularly well.

Spirits are tough to fight as heroes need to sacrifice their life-force (vitality) in order to combat them. However, spirits are tied to places and objects and interacting with those can yield weaknesses in the spirits and make combating them far easier.

The first set of beta cards are shown below in the discussion of each quest – had a couple of rounds of internal playtesting – really would appreciate if anyone could take any of these quests for a spin…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend we played through the first three quests several times and these were adjusted and text improved. Unfortunately, I was too busy making notes to take any photos – maybe next time.

We took our standard three party group; Soldier, Acolyte and Apprentice. We did a brief test using the Archer as well – who proves very potent in these quests with her ability to use many ranged attacks. All the heroes were equipped with just starting gear and the Terror with the Thousand Legs Darkness Desk was used – as this is designed to be able to be played with just the retail box components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting Quest– Spirited Away!

With a set-up of three Spirit Guardians on this small tile there was not a lot of room for manoeuvre. We immediately wished the Archer was with us as their ability to shoot through monsters and target the orb would be very useful. Looking over our hero cards, it became obvious the Soldier lacked the ranged cards to damage the orb, but with his high starting vitality it was going to be his job to rush forward and try and clear a path. The Acolyte, who proved essential throughout these quests due to their healing skills, had quite an arsenal of range cards that could be used against the orb, Consuming Fire, Last Rites and Angelic Word. The Apprentice also had a good slew of ranged cards that could be used.

The quest began with the Apprentice moving forward getting to range 4, the closest possible due to the Guardian Spirits. A successful Arcane Lance reduced the orb to a single point of vitality – a good start. The Acolyte had both Consuming Fire and Angelic Word in hand but with those only having a range of three he could not get into range. The Apprentice seeing how this was playing out cast, Hero’s Edge on the Soldier. So the Soldier moved forward and took on the Guardian Spirit which haunted the squares directly below the orb. He played the Attack card and bravely sacrificed two vitality to try and take down the Spirit. He successfully reduced the Guardian’s Spirit by one vitality. He then rashly played Devastate, this cost 2AP but still could only target a single spirit and cause a single point of damage – this was also successful and the Guardian Spirit now only had a single vitality left. The Apprentice finished off the damaged Guardian Spirit with a successful Attack. The Darkness AP was now on five, so the Apprentice Blinked into the now vacant square beneath the orb just as the Darkness activated. The Spirit Guardians made a bee-line for the undamaged Acolyte – but due to their large size only one could reach him and the other went for the Apprentice. The next round the Apprentice, now directly below the orb, managed to take it out, and now the Spirit Guardians had lost their incorporeal keyword the fighter came into his own causing damage to both spirits using a Harvest of Bones. By the time of the next Darkness cycle, another Spirit Guardian had been taken down– with the Acolyte taking the brunt of the remaining spirits anger. It took two turns to defeat the remaining Guardian Spirits.

We repeated this tile a couple of times as it is relatively quick with no lairs to spawn. This is a relatively easy starting quest and is a good introduction to fighting the spirits and the attention required to take out the focus of their power, ie orb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Quest – Deadstone

This quest had the most revisions and proved to be a difficult challenge. After a failed attempt to get the quest to work effectively the tile size was enlarged to 12x12 and the Jalek character to remain static throughout the quest. This work better and was a lot more fun! Again the Archer works very well in this scenario – I am thinking the relative weakness of a starting archer would really come into their own playing these quests.

The same party as above, Soldier, Apprentice and Acolyte, soon discovered the whereabouts of Jalek and cornered him in a forest clearing…

Jalek, began the quest surrounded by spirits which made it very tough to get at him (Archer would be great here…) As Jalek acted as a lair and is the key to removing the incorporeal keyword from the spirits he had to be the number one priority for the party. Our first attempt at rushing Jalek and trying to smash our way through to him proved futile – the heroes were quickly surrounded and with the incorporeal keyword still in effect the heroes were just overwhelmed.

Several restarts later before the strategy of enticing the spirits away from Jalek was formulated. The spirits, when activated, have a priority of most vitality followed by Faith. By careful positioning of the Soldier and Acolyte and the use of cards such as Drawing the Ire, the Apprentice managed to sneak around and attack Jalek. This was still a tough fight, with the Apprentice having to sacrifice vitality to attack him. Jalek was eventually taken down but by now there were fourteen spirits and of course the Guardian Spirit that replaced Jalek on the tile. With the Apprentice close to death he had to sprint away to avoid the swarm. The Soldier went into overdrive playing Harvest of Bones and Riding the Edge taking down a slew of spirits – and gaining the corresponding threat. The Acolyte was forced to discard Hand of the Father by the Guardian Spirits soul searching attack when it was desperately needed. However, the heroes did triumph and gladly spent their earned coin on the merchant who was passing.

I like this quest as it rewards coordinated movement within the party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third Quest – Red Waterfall

This is the first chamber of the crypt of Tarek-na and contains a new trap – Possession Spirit. Again this went through several changes during the playtest, namely the introduction of some spirits to make movement a little more dynamic.

The same party as before began this quest: Soldier, Apprentice and Acolyte.

This is an unusual trap. There are no spirits on the tile at the start so things start off slowly. In our first play through the Soldier was possessed first, no problem thought the players, the Acolyte will just play a Smite on him to gain a success. This was done, Soldier picked up a wound, the possession passed onto the Acolyte and three spirits appeared in the corner of the tile. At this point the players saw the problem. Removing a possession is pretty straight forward, just cause a loss of vitality, but every time this happens three spirits are going to appear. Ignore the spirits and just keep removing the possession could lead to potentially 18 spirits on the tile! (remember spirits can be represented by any mini – so there is not real limit to the amount that can appear). The players decided to remove two possessions and then clear out some spirits before returning to the possessed hero, hoping that when the darkness does activate the possessed hero will not draw any high damage attacks…

Anyway here is how it panned out in the first play through with the amended card. After the first possession had ended, the Soldier and Apprentice realised they had only high damage cards and so decided to try and take out some spirits – already the agreed strategy was not working. The heroes soon discovered that just base dice attacks were not very reliable and just caused the AP to increase with little effect. Okay, back to attacking each other! The possession jumped to the Soldier and three more spirits were added to the tile just as the Darkness activated. The spirits swarmed all over the tile making movement tricky. The soldier took a swing at the Acolyte using a Hidden Blade attack. The Acolyte had no more attack cards in hand, but the apprentice did have The Mountain Crumbles, this was used to target the possessed Soldier, it did not have a secondary effect on the spirits as the incorporeal keyword makes them immune to cards without the ‘holy’ or ‘unholy’ keywords. The attack was successful and the possession jumped to the Apprentice and another three spirits were added to the tile! The trap was now halfway disarmed; another three successes were needed. With nine spirits on the board the players decided to take out some before the next Darkness cycle – it was a slow business due to their incorporeal keyword but three were defeated before the darkness activated again. The Apprentice fireed an Arcane Lance at the Soldier, who glanced across to the Acolyte for some healing before the Acolyte succumbed to a possession. The heroes decided that taking out spirits one at a time was just too slow and so concentrated on driving out the possession spirit. A couple of turns later the spirit was defeated and the spirits on the tile, now numbering fifteen lost their incorporeal keyword. With all the heroes getting low on vitality an epic battle ensured in which the Acolyte fell and the Apprentice only survived by the skin of their teeth. The trap was disarmed but the heroes decided not to explore further, they were in a bad shape, and so added the next quest to the quest deck rather than resolve it straight away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the final quest and mini-boss. These are still in alpha testing but give you an idea where the set is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the idea of the possession trap and the startegy it introduces. Thank for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you are ok i will make the same list of questions i ask MCG when i receive a new file.

Guardian spirit:
-incorporeal : i guess a hero cannot stop his movement in the same square as the spirit
-incorporeal : you should remove the attack part from this entry to keep it only to the spirit part
-spirit : i guess non holy or unholy attack does only 1 dmg if you sacrifice one or more Vitality whatever the card (since you ignore the text) or do they keep their dmg line?
-spirit : do these attacks keep their keywords like melée or ranged to know how they can be fired?
-spirit : linked to that do these attacks with the ranged keyword use a projectile?

Spirit:
same questions/remarks

Shenri:
-aura of the damned : you should use the Hand Size game terme to explain that
-i see your soul :
There is a problem with this : you used the FD in the Special lines but you are talking in the text about the target lf the attack, it is not how it work. There is 2 possibilities : either the dice are part of the attack line, then you can use fate recipe with the target since these FD are rolled if the attack hit.
If the dice are part of the Special line they are rolled EVEN if the hero does not hit or even attack (the order is move then attack then roll the Special line), then you cannot use a "Special" fate recipe with a target part, you must write these abilities differently like adjacent heroes must disard or the hero higher on his priority list etc.

I hope you won't take it badly!
You must chose wich one of FD type you will use.
I will try to do the quests and trap soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possession Spirit trap :
-i guess the hero cannot act if he is possessed ?
-do the possessed hero have the spirit keyword? (you say that for the incorporeal)
-if he can't attack why do you make him draw cards during the refresh phase since he will have a new hand just before that
-if a possessed hero is hit during a darkness phase (with an interrupt) you are supposed to add spirits to the tile, do they act on this particular DC?
-when the possessed hero act, you do not say anything about the movement, does he use his 2 MP to get into position and/or use his move cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deadstone :
-do the spirits loose only corporeal or corporeal AND spirit keyword?
-you don't need the sentence about the fact that the quest is resolved if the spirits is cleared (it is a standard rules you resolve the quest if the tile is cleared and since you don't use the tile legends the tile is cleared if you kill all the spirits)

Spirited away
Same question about corporeal and spirit
and remark about the cleared

nothing for the other cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Endevor, really appreciate the feedback. The adventure was originally written as part of a module so condensing it down to make sense on a card is tricky.

I will work through your observations, I should have another test session this weekend. I have designed a few games and been a playtester on others - so I know the job is to try and break the game or in this case cards. All feedback positive and negative is always welcome - otherwise why post on a public forum?

This is my first attempt at designing for the Myth game - I have only had it about a month - so my ideas might be dreadful! I always bear in mind that my own design hit rate is about 1 in 8, so I have to be pretty hard on myself for although I think all my own ideas are great - that is not always the case. I will watch feedback on this adventure pack carefully, it should help me and others gauge if it is any good and worthy of including in a community pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had some time to work through Endevor's detailed responses and critique.

Guardian spirit:
-incorporeal : i guess a hero cannot stop his movement in the same square as the spirit

That is correct – I have added a few words for clarity – my original rule stated the hero may not end their movement in a spirits square – this allowed a hero to pause and conduct an action then move on, which was kind of clunky and so the rule was changed to ‘can’t stop in its space.’

-incorporeal: you should remove the attack part from this entry to keep it only to the spirit part

Okay – removed.

-spirit : i guess non holy or unholy attack does only 1 dmg if you sacrifice one or more Vitality whatever the card (since you ignore the text) or do they keep their dmg line?

Your guess is correct – does this need further clarification on the cards? I could add a line on this.

-spirit : do these attacks keep their keywords like melée or ranged to know how they can be fired?
-spirit : linked to that do these attacks with the ranged keyword use a projectile?

Good questions – this is where I started to run out of room on the cards. Melee and ranged keywords are needed. By projectile do you mean ‘ammo’ - is so yes they do. I will try and fit in a little more text to clarify the melee and ranged – is this clearer? ‘Such attacks ignore card text, except the ranged and melee keywords.’

Please explain a little more about projectile – am I missing something?

Spirit:
same questions/remarks

Thank you.

Shenri:
-aura of the damned : you should use the Hand Size game terme to explain that
-i see your soul :
There is a problem with this : you used the FD in the Special lines but you are talking in the text about the target lf the attack, it is not how it work. There is 2 possibilities : either the dice are part of the attack line, then you can use fate recipe with the target since these FD are rolled if the attack hit.
If the dice are part of the Special line they are rolled EVEN if the hero does not hit or even attack (the order is move then attack then roll the Special line), then you cannot use a "Special" fate recipe with a target part, you must write these abilities differently like adjacent heroes must disard or the hero higher on his priority list etc.

Thanks, Shenri is still a little rough and has only seen a little solo gameplay. I will try all adjacent heroes discarding a card – but this might make it a little too powerful – more testing needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possession Spirit trap :

I really hit the wall on getting enough information on this card.

-i guess the hero cannot act if he is possessed ?

Yes – pretty important I will add that

-do the possessed hero have the spirit keyword? (you say that for the incorporeal)

I will add no spirit keyword

-if he can't attack why do you make him draw cards during the refresh phase since he will have a new hand just before that

Possession can take place at any point during a turn I want to prevent heroes from emptying their hands of attack cards so that when they are possessed they have none. I also want the tension of the party not knowing what the possessed hero is going to do – drawing a new hand opens up lots of possibilities.

-if a possessed hero is hit during a darkness phase (with an interrupt) you are supposed to add spirits to the tile, do they act on this particular DC?

Good question. My understanding of the turn sequence is that the monsters need to be on the tile at the point when their rank is activated. if monsters are added after this they will not activate, if before they will. So it depends when the interrupt occurs. Have I got this correct?

-when the possessed hero act, you do not say anything about the movement, does he use his 2 MP to get into position and/or use his move cards?

Yes he will move towards his target using any movement cards if needed – I will add this to the text of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadstone :
-do the spirits loose only corporeal or corporeal AND spirit keyword?
-you don't need the sentence about the fact that the quest is resolved if the spirits is cleared (it is a standard rules you resolve the quest if the tile is cleared and since you don't use the tile legends the tile is cleared if you kill all the spirits)

Spirited away
Same question about corporeal and spirit
and remark about the cleared

Good catch – I wrote incorporeal but meant spirit – will change. I will also delete ‘cleared’ sentence - thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the amended 0.2 cards (just the ones with changes). it is still pretty early in the development and playtesting phase but all feel free to comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope you are not taking it in a bad way, it is not at all a judgement about what you propose, i am just used to see potential bugs when i read or translate new cards.

Sorry for the projectile, it is the french translation for Ammo and sometimes when i write too quickly i mix french and english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just been running through improving text and correcting typos

Anyone who wants to give these a spin - I will keep the most recently updated cards here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2CI0A0mdkR9TWVqOFd5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huckleberry Carignan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, I'll try to play them at your house and give you some feedback. It looks like some great work so far!

Cheers,
Huck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have added locations on the quests to tie in with the Lands of Myth map - to provide some location context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - I think this set is now finished. I have made a few changes based on testing - but nothing major. Please let me know if there are any glaring errors in the text or layout?

Regards David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i read the google drive version. if those are the most upto date, i really like the quest and cards

+1 thumb.
+1 GG

Thanks for the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joel.

Here is the draft text that goes along with the quest chain.

Love is not what it used to be…

In Love is not what it used to be… the heroes are employed to investigate the last resting place of an unknown figure. The heroes’ investigation sets in motion a series of events that culminate in an epic encounter to right a terrible wrong.

Facing the heroes in this quest chain are a new type of enemy, spirits. Spirits can be represented by any monster figure of the same rank. Spirits are summoned from the spirit plane by powerful dark magic and bound to an object. Spirits only exist and remain in the heroes’ physical plane through the magic bestowed on the object, destroying that dispels the magic and increases a spirit’s vulnerability. It is usually safer to destroy the magic imbued object than directly confront the spirits. Spirits are immune to physical damage, unless caused by a spell/weapon with a holy/unholy keyword. Heroes without a holy/unholy attack will have to combat the spirits through spirit combat – essentially the hero’s essence is in a direct conflict with the spirit’s essence. The spirit keyword and explanation on how this is resolved is on the spirit’s card. Once the magic imbued object is destroyed the spirits are venerable to physical damage (regular attacks). Spirits are also incorporeal, which permits heroes to see and move through them, although moving through them will cause a loss of vitality.

Cards Included:
4 Quest Cards (Spirited Away!, Deadstone, Red Waterfall, and Spirit in Chains)
3 Monster Cards (Spirit, Guardian Spirit, and Shenri)
2 Merchant Cards (Maglinny the Fence, Bowman Finch)
1 Trap (Possession Trap)

Difficulty: 1 skull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.