Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like we may not see any more Black Plague content for a few months now, which is understandable if disappointing. I am really enjoying this game but am a little concerned that without some additional models it may become too easy for the survivors to win, especially as we become more experienced with the game. I am also concerned that the game may become a bit stale without the new models and scenarios that we still await.

Looking through my library of games I have come up with some proxy models some of you may already have.

The Human Cultists from Wrath of Ashardalon make respectable Necromancers.
Having more Necromancers and being able to use the Cabal rules will definitely make the game more difficult.

The Flesh Golem from Castle Ravenloft makes a mighty Abomination for those scenarios that could use two of them.

The Skeletons and Blazing Skeletons from Castle Ravenloft are excellent additions as well. I am thinking of using them as bodyguards who spawn and move with the Necromancers. Regular Skeletons at Blue & Yellow danger levels, Blazing Skeletons at orange & red.

The Hag from Castle Ravenloft is also good as an additional Necromancer.

I am also looking to include the Banshee from Legend of Drizzt and the Hypnotic spirit from Ravenloft in some way.

While I like the creature rules from The Book Of The Dead (that you can download here at the geek) I am less enthralled by their spawning rules and am trying to make my own scenarios that will include specific non-zombie creatures in a more scripted way. But that being said, adding those creatures and using The Book Of The Dead's spawning system is another way to tide us over till we get more stuff later this Spring.

I'll try and post some scenarios here at the geek sometime in the next few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zombie Fifty-Seven
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Look forward to seeing what your doing.

The Book of the Dead spawing rules were really just a way in easily introduce them without the need for custom missions. BTW - Dunno if you've download the lastest version but it has spawn cards within the ruleset that can be used now.

So onto your plans...

Will it be a mission stucture where you face ever increasing enemies as you work through them ?

...also if there is anything you want to lift from the Book, please do so. It was a community project and I sure as hell don't care if others take bits an use it. All about sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I really do appreciate the work that went in to The Book of Dead. It is a great resource! I totally see what you were doing in going for a generic deck that will work with any monster set. The thing I love in games like Zombicide is the uncertainty though and choosing which models from the appropriate threat level runs counter to that. I suppose if you chose a roster of models at the beginning of the game and gave them some kind of priority that might work too.

Right now the scenarios I am working on are all sort of gothic, just the models I indicated in the previous post and maybe some mummies…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally going to do the same thing. I will use the monsters from Blood Rage as Abominations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmb
I started running my nurgle demons in the place of fattys and the abomination. Having a massive miniature collection is really nice for mixing things up.

Next project: Get some skaven proxies so that I can play a board game version of Vermintide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Follis
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these ideas! I was just thinking about using some Ashardalon minis for various creatures myself.

Another good semi-common mini source might be the ghost figures from Ghost Stories. These could work for some things from Book of the Dead or custom what have yous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game with multiple necromancers. We used the Cultist minis I mentioned in my earlier post. They looked fine on the table, not out of place at all. But holy zombie cow, they made the game much harder! We played the Shepards with 3 extra necromancers minis and barely won. Then we played The Black book with 3 extra as well and lost terribly. We decided to tone it down and only added two extra to In Caligne Abditus and lost after a valiant struggle. IMHO the extra necromancers make the game more fun as well as more challenging. You really had to consider the possibility of them escaping and possibly triggering a game loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the missions in the core set are balanced for a single necromancer, and I have found them be sufficiently challenging. If I were to add additional necromancers I would also allow one free draw from the search deck at the beginning of the game. I plan on doing this with the book of the dead monsters that will be included in the game once I finish the standard scenarios.

Or remix on the Book of the Dead spawning btw: We are selecting 6 monsters in our collection at the beginning of the game and assigning them a number (1-6). Whenever a doublespawn is drawn we roll a die and spawn that monster instead. If that monster is already on the board they get an extra activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted three quests in the files section using some of the models I listed in my initial post. I will be adding another three Quests eventually and would love to know if folks are enjoying them, and if they think the difficulty rating and time estimates are accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.