Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just tried playing a solo run through of Arcade Mode...

And now my head hurts.

Is there a recommended way to gradually increase the complexity of the game, so as to not get utterly overloaded by everything one needs to keep track of?

In addition, is there a good play through video I could watch that introduces the viewer to the game in a gradual manner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd try to make it simple first off. So lets try 2 heroes,2 map tiles, No dungeon boss, 1 mini-boss at the end spawn point,no pets, no booty boos, no exploration cards.
Just concentrate on moving the gangs and working with the heroes.

I don't think there is any one silver bullet for the play through, but this is a descent series of tutorial video, running through the various steps.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQrLfMRnQwBzW9k1nMImB...

Hope that is some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most importantly, stick with it. It really is not as complicated as it initially seems, it is just that there are a number of things to remember at the beginning. Later on this becomes second nature and the game flows very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on those videos they really helped me early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllDeadDave wrote:

I did watch those before my first attempted play through. Unfortunately something about his presentation style meant that very little of it stuck.

I'm finding Doug Mystic Eye's videos much more helpful though:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSxVbnQ1EfAAmn0nHxT3H...

(Despite, or possibly because of, all the errors!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry, didn't mention Doug Mystic Eye's for that very reason. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to play arcade mode last night and just gave up - it was information overload - so maybe these vids will help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdeptusAce wrote:
I tried to play arcade mode last night and just gave up - it was information overload - so maybe these vids will help!

That was the problem I had.

What I then decided to do, after watching some videos, was to gradually increase the complexity and quantity of information I had to deal with.

So, first game after that I played 1 hero, 1 board, 1 spawn point, 1 mini-boss.

Then two heroes, two boards, two spawns, a mini-boss and the dungeon boss.

And then my most recent game was 3 heroes, 3 tiles, 3 spawns, 2 mini-bosses, and a dungeon boss (so essentially the smallest normal solo game setup).

Also, I didn't worry too much about getting everything right in the 1 hero game, just concentrated on the core mechanics. With 2 heroes I payed more attention towards getting the details correct. And the last game I believe I played everything correctly.

That said, I didn't actually get off the first board in the last game!

But I feel I've got a good understanding of how everything works now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good idea and plan Scott..i will try that...just joined soda pop forums last night saw some of your painting...impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
good idea and plan Scott..i will try that...just joined soda pop forums last night saw some of your painting...impressive!

Thanks. modest I don't think my stuff is that great, and am blown away by some of the other paint jobs I see on there. But I am happy with progress so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.