Subject: Invading Yugoslavia & Greece in one turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone published a way to defeat Yugoslavia and Greece (and take Crete) all in one turn, a la operations Punishment, Marita and Mercury, but with only the historical force pool of four 4-6's and five 3-3's (plus about two 5-4 AAF's, a 1-3 para, plus air transport; some Italians as well of course, as well as a 1-3 Hun Inf)?
Someone must surely have done so, but I couldn't find it at the AWAW website.

I'm reviewing various historical operations using the AWAW counters and I'm having trouble wrapping my head round the Spring 1941 turn.
Still getting to grips with this seemingly excellent game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Valer
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are easy to take in one turn - Yugoslavia via Hungary and Germany and Greece via Albania. Not sure why you interested in using historical forces. The exact amount of force you need will depend on the defender setup, though both can be taken in one Axis player turn. You may need to do an overrun in each during exploitation movement.

Crete is the obvious exception. You can only reach via airborne from Libya and with full N. African supply. If you are in that position, then there are probably better airdrop targets in Egypt than Crete.

Having Axis armor in or near Venice or Trieste allows them to threaten Yugoslavia directly and both Yugoslavia and Greece via sea transport to Durazzo. Italian infantry and an armor in Albania can create the breakthrough for the German armor to reach Athens.

So, if you are trying to figure out what to do in Sp41 in anticipation of an Su41 Barbarossa, two basic choices are:

1. Axis offensives in the Med. to take Yugoslavia, Greece, run full supply to Libya and gain some hexes in Egypt. Malta may also be a potential target if it has been isolated for a few turns. This activity is meant to simplify Axis Med. defense once most air and armor units SR to the eastern front for Su41.

2. Bomb Britain and raid. Get sea supply to Libya and isolate Malta to protect the Axis sea supply route to Libya from Su41 onwards.

Though a bit dated, the old Ultra articles are still useful for introduction to general strategies.

http://aworldatwar.org/Articles/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious to see if anyone had published a how-to guide, like there are on other offensives, such as Barbarossa, or the invasion of France.

I found the key rule I had missed:
"10.52 AIRDROPS: Airdrops may be made only during the combat phase, and are announced and resolved either immediately prior to ground combat resolution or immediately prior to exploitation combat resolution, whether or not any breakthrough or exploitation movement by armor units occurred."
and
"Airdrops may be made from an airbase placed during the movement phase."

So the Germans can probably overrun into Greece from Bulgaria via southern Yugoslavia and airdrop a para onto Crete, from a newly created airbase just north of Athens, during exploitation but after initial combat has taken Athens for sure. [At least, they can do this if they want to use historical tactics - which should be an option, even if one doesn't want to use it.]

I like your Albanian idea, although I am surprised the game allows so much free rein for German armor to operate from Albania: logistically, Albania (and Greece) were awful to operate from and in. (I think the US had it right to avoid Churchill's Yugoslavia strategy for 43/44.) I really have my doubts as to whether the Albanian infrastructure network could have supported the operations of a panzerkorps attacking into Greece. Same applies for SR'ing a 4-6 out of Greece after the conquest - poor logistics was the reason why 40th Pz XXX wasn't ready for the Eastern Front until the fall: the Germans ended up using sea transport for the vehicles, rather than use the overland (rail) route, since the RR system was very limited. Maybe a chrome rule is needed for SR'ing through Greece, Albania and parts of Yugoslavia?

I will say that the AWAW rules are well written and well laid out. I gave up on GOSS recently since it seemed harder to learn than ASL even! AWAW is so much easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Valer
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Axis control Albania, Yugoslavia, and/or Bulgaria at the start of the turn they invade Greece, there is no hex within 4 hexes of Crete to base and airdrop from. Libya is the only location from which German airborne units can reach Crete on the turn of a Greek invasion.

You notes suggests that the Axis can use newly controlled Greek hexes and place an airbase there and then drop on Crete in the same turn. That is clearly illegal. Again, on the turn of invasion, Crete can only be reached via airborne from Libya in the above scenario.

A one turn conquest of Greece does put all Greek hexes under Axis control, including Crete. So, if the Axis are concerned about occupying Crete, they can always NR a ground unit there during the NR phase of the turn.

18.142 AIRBASE PLACEMENT: Once play begins, major powers may place airbases on the mapboard as follows:
A. Airbases may be placed on the board only during the placing player’s movement, unit construction and redeployment phases. Major powers that may place two airbases in a turn may place both of them in the same phase or in different phases. Airbases may not be placed during the opponent’s turn.

Regarding redeployment, yes, the logistics are abstracted, but there is a 2 ground unit limit for SRs from and objective hex. So, for example, Athens can only support 2 German armor units SRing to the east for Su41.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
If Greece is conquered and there are no Allied units in Crete during the turn of conquest, Crete falls automatically to the Axis without the need to land an airborne unit there:

83.22 HEX CONTROL - INITIAL CONQUEST:
A. If a neutral minor country is conquered in the turn in which it is attacked, all hexes in the minor country pass to the control of the conquering major power at the end of the conquering major power’s player turn, after the redeployment phase, unless occupied by enemy units other than those of the conquered minor country. Normal hex control rules (29.2) govern if a minor country survives the first turn of attack and associates (84.11A) and whenever a minor country’s capital subsequently changes hands (83.23).
B. Minor country islands come under the conquering major power’s control when the minor country is initially conquered, whether on the turn in which the minor country is attacked or later, unless at least one hex of the island is occupied by enemy units other than those of the conquered minor country. This applies to the following islands:
- Greece: Lesbos (CC30), Chios (DD29), Andros (EE28) and Crete (GG26, GG27, GG28).

This greatly simplifies matters especially if Greece is neutral and conquered on the first turn (depending on unit deployment), and the air transport units can drop the airborne unit on Belgrade instead to negate the +1 DM from a cross-river attack if one is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.