Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there have been many good ideas passes around on the KS site to keep Fleet Commander fresh, challenging and exciting. Some ideas are: 1) Introduction of civilian ships (this has been done in some of the scenarios), 2) space stations (I believe these are one of the stretch goals) or colony ships, 3) boarding ships (this could be done as a special power for the BB or hBB?). So what are some other ideas? Think new ship types/variations on existing ships, scenario play, terrain, or special rules to help differentiate the two factions. Let's get our collective craniums pumping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New idea. One faction's BB and/or hBB cannot move more than 1 space each round. It cannot be assigned more than 1 move die. It's a slow beast that stalks its prey...angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea that I had thrown into the ring a couple of times on KS is a more asymetrical playstyle for he two factions. The commander cards would allow for a neat way to incorporate that into the game. Similar to the commanders recently introduced in Firestorm Armada each faction could have a number of faction specific leaders (which is already the case) that not only come with an ability (one time use or permanent perk) as it is right now but also come with restrictions and boons for the fleet building. For instance one commander might heavily favor frigattes while another one is all for cruisers for for specific ship combinations. Each faction could have a "theme" for this and each commander could represent this theme to a stronger or weaker degree (where the stronger restrictions would be complemented by a stronger ability).
This could help giving both faction more flavor as right now they are way too similar to each other (which is of course fine as well, nobody complains about the similarities in Chess).

Another idea that was mentioned on KS is introducting alternative profiles for the ship classes - same model, same class value, but maybe a different strength and ability or some special rules. I think the new expansion offers just that - but only for the class 2 and 3 ships - why not introduce alternative ship profiles for al ship classes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Planets and the ability to land marines on them with the ability to build defenses.......

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah people, this is what I'm talking about. Let's keep the creative juices flowing. Any option that gives a little more flavor to the game is good. Planetary assault? OMG I want it now... Faction commanders with building restrictions? Gimme, gimme, gimme! I have a feeling that Fleet Commander is going to be more scenario play than just straight up pew pew till they can't pew pew any more. At least on my table. How about a special attack that let's the attacker spread the focused light beam love to more than one target? I think someone on KS mentioned that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see what function the bases and the already planned material bring to the equation.

I think some assymetrical feel to the fleets will help for longevity of the game. They are starting this with some of the variants (ie Forge) or if the special abilities or battleship heavy weapons are fleet specific (are they fleet specific?). I don't need a separate sculpt for these ships. In fact, I don't want one-off sculpts for essentially the same ship hull. That is just a cash grab to sell minor differences. A base dial for a variant works just as well. The KS is providing me with more than enough ships (maybe another Type5 eventually). I think the Commanders will help with this too. The two examples they gave in the update had one Commander that had a one time effect, while the other had a dice reallocation (lose a shield and gain an extra movement).

For a future expansion, a third (or fourth) faction with their own models and Commanders could be interesting. Maybe an Alien invation to repulse?

Solo rules or an automated Space Monster to battle (think the Planet Killer from Star Trek TOS)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely solo rules. Also agree that knowing what is already available and what it all does is important. Different base dials for ship variation would be cool. Beef up a frigate's armor (9-10 HP)at the expense of its move bonus? Yes please. How about a BB that can one-shot a frigate? Gnasty...

Bring it on folks. The more the merrier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Haydn
Germany
flag msg tools
As the carrier comes into play now. What about adding small ships like fighters and bombers to both factions.
I love those small ships and their attack on capital ships. Not much damage done by a single squadron, but when attacking in numbers really deadly.
+1 for solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Stefan - I love the idea thematically, death by a thousand stings. I could see it working like the "Drones" special attack, except the carrier would have more than one and they could be launched several at a time, able to target more than one ship. Maybe a limited range (2-3 squares?) and/or burn the special dice.
On the flip side, maybe as a ship variant or another special power have a point defense system that could improve or extend the range of being able to shoot down the drones/fighters/bombers.
Trying to keep it all as simple as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goulet
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
First off I must say I'm more excited for this release than I have been for any game in a while.

I was thinking some interesting things could be done with the environment. One idea might be random events that can occur on a square once in a while; asteroid storm, solar flare, radiation burst; with some minor effect on anyone who happens to be there.

Also bits of terrain that move on their own might be fun, as long as the rules are simple enough. Perhaps comets or asteroids that fly by. Something like that might be especially good on the orbit map. Possibly a ship could hitch a ride on one and follow it around the board; might introduce some interesting tactics. For some reason I keep thinking of RoboRally which, in some of the more advanced scenarios, puts flags on the belts where they move about the board during game play.

I also would like to take this opportunity to say I would love the opportunity to get a few more Heavy Battleships, perhaps as an optional. I expect to be playing with more than 4 players most of the time, and would be happy to pay a bit more for a few more of those ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Krause
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for little fighter and bomber, they could have their own restrictions, for example:

At the end of the round, when all dice were used or stored, fighter and bomber have to be in or adjacent to a field with a carrier or they will be destroyed/get damage.

Bomber could get a bonus damage against Class 4 + 5 ships, fighter against class 2 + 3 ships. Fregates are just/nearly immune to their effect, cause they are not really a bigger target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Haydn
Germany
flag msg tools
@John
The drones attack was the first thing I had in mind when thinking about fighter squadrons. A special weapon without limitation.
Movement should be limited.
The frigate could have a special ability regarding fighters, as it is a fast mobile ship. Maybe an auto-kill of one squadron per frigate in a field at the end of the round.
This way you would have an easy possibility to provide protection for the bigger ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric
Canada
Gatineau
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
excellent ideas.
other possibilities :
- Mines to release after a move with special dice (for an battleship or heavy battleship)?
- Kamikaze ships to achieve opponents: 2 moves = twice their class in damages (and they are destroyedthemselves)?
- Octopus? a ship firing in several directions each time ?
- Jumper: can jump over a sector (filled with ships or asteroidsetc.)
- Psychoship to take control of an enemy ship (no real damage done but ship possessed when psy damages sufficient ?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the ideas being thrown around here but the bit I'm really looking forward to is how new content will combine to create interesting scenarios providing fresh challenges. I'm hoping this will take the focus away from the game engine and help reinforce the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Cunningham
msg tools
how about a 5 x 5 X 5 3D grid? Like 3D checkers!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, with the amount of tiles you get in the base game, you could do a 5x5x2 grid. Would be interesting to say the least.
Keep the ideas coming! The game is hopefully only a couple of months away. We need more ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.