Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
A particular question was asked about how much wording can fit in a text box for a card. I happened to calculate that and it's something I reference frequently. If there are other useful things people need to reference, maybe this thread could become a repository.

That said, all questions can usually be answered by Koga's amazing card templates and Illustrator. I'm using that as my truth data.

Making card text fit into Sentinels cards

Q: How much text can fit in a standard hero/villain text box?
A: Tricky, but with the 'regular' line spacing and font size from the template this is what you're working with:
Hero/villain card text box size wrote:
Rows in text box: 8
Safe characters per row: 38-40
Width of (H) character: 2
Rough way to estimate is keeping to ~250 characters in a text box. I have fit 8 rows with 44 characters in a smaller font.
If you make the font size smaller, these change a bit (mostly row length). If you don't use a full return between lines, you can get 2-3 separate paragraphs while still having a little visual space between them, while using all 8 lines for text.

Q: How much text can fit in a hero text box if there's a Power?
A: Rows after a Power are indented. Each row loses 7 characters.

Q: How much text can fit in a hero's base power?
A: Reasonable numbers:
Hero base power text box size wrote:
Rows in text box: 4
Safe characters per row: 25
Rough way to estimate is keeping to ~150 characters in a text box. I have fit 5 rows with 27 characters in a smaller font.

Q: How much text can fit on a villain rule card?
A: This is probably calculable, so I'll leave it as a placeholder.
Villain rule card text box size wrote:
Rows in text box: ?
Safe characters per row: ?
Width of (H) character: 2

Visual elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Misc - Useful information for making custom decks
For a rough estimate I find ~250 characters (including spaces) for a regular card, ~150 characters for an innate power is a good basic measure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
In Illustrator, when you're ready to finish the decks and upload them into Printer Studio, how do you export them? When I do it as a JPEG with Artboards it won't save them as individual files I could use for every single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I made a new Illustrator file with artboards for each individual card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingofsouls master of the 27 skies and a generally good lookin guy
United States
California
flag msg tools
So, how large is the text usually? 14 point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 30-35 size for gameplay text on Gimp, wonder how it is in other programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Welhouse
msg tools
Using Koga's AI template, is there a quick way to save individual cards as images? Or is it a matter of cropping and saving?

kingofsouls wrote:
So, how large is the text usually? 14 point?

Using Koga's template, titles are 23, card type are 12, main card text is 9, and flavor text is 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
nekobasu wrote:
Using Koga's AI template, is there a quick way to save individual cards as images? Or is it a matter of cropping and saving?
Not that I know of. I made copies of the templates and broke things apart so it was one card per artboard, with the extra bleed. That way I can export each artboard individually as an image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
If you have Photoshop as well as Illustrator, you can do this:

open the deck's illustrator or pdf file in photoshop
open a blank card file (I got mine from the printerstudio website... the dimensions are exact and contain the extra bleed)
set your rectangular marquee selection tool to fixed width of 2.5 x 3.5 in
select one of the card images from the illustrator file
copy, then paste it to the blank card file
flatten the layers
tweak the final image so it looks 'just so' (printerstudio tends to print darker, so I brighten the image considerably)
save as .jpg file with card name and # of copies for a full deck (e.g. Blackstar x3.jpg)
upload to card printing service (e.g. printerstudio)

The process is fairly painless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Ridiculous
msg tools
mbmb
I figure this is a good spot to put some questions to anyone that's made a deck. I've just been trying to replicate cards in Gimp as practice, and I'm having trouble with the text.

1. How do you format/color the titles of cards so that they have that black border and red-orange gradient instead of just being monocolor?

2. What size font do you use normally for the different card texts: the title, the regular card text, and the card attributes above it?

3. Is any part of a card italicized / bolded by default?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google is your friend for some of those!

Outline text in Gimp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYz_aqn0po8
Gradient in Gimp: https://docs.gimp.org/2.2/en/gimp-tool-blend.html -> I have never made a full deck so not sure how well this translates.

I usually use something around 115 for HP (Armor Piercing) and, as said before, 35 for game play text (less if I need the space). Official cards use italics for names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
Are you trying to create a card template using Gimp? Or do you have access to Illustrator?

There's already a template for cards in Illustrator that several of us use. That's your fastest way to get started and would give you all the answers to your other questions.

But if you're trying to create your own template using Gimp, then I don't know much about the program to say how to do X or Y. I was looking at the Gimp site and there are a bunch of tutorials, one of which looks like it explains how to create gradients to fill your text. As far as what fonts and what size, there are several different answers to that question and I don't know if anyone's made a list detailing Header, Keyword, Description, Quote sizes, fonts, spacing, etc.

I was reading that you can use Inkscape to open Illustrator files directly and then use that program to convert to Gimp. If that's an option you could try it to grab the current Illustrator card templates and move them into Gimp faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Welhouse
msg tools
dsmail wrote:

The process is fairly painless.

It is! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Ridiculous
msg tools
mbmb
Currently using Koga's templates, opening the Photoshop (?) files in GIMP. Unless something went wrong in my downloading process, there aren't actually text boxes in any of the layers. Thus my questions about font size, gradients, etc. My hope was to learn if there was some specific trick in part of the card templates that I was missing, and the specifics of the attributes that aren't already a part of the template.

For instance, if I do the text coloring from "scratch", what RGB values does it go to and from? I get a lot of different values using my dropper tool. Is 35pt font definitely the standard everyone uses in GIMP or is that just an estimate (or is it just 2 people who use GIMP)? Those are not things I can Google, and I would appreciate any info if it helps me not re-invent the wheel or make egregious errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did everything by trial and error. Did not get the text boxes working either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
YouLostMe wrote:
Currently using Koga's templates, opening the Photoshop (?) files in GIMP. Unless something went wrong in my downloading process, there aren't actually text boxes in any of the layers. Thus my questions about font size, gradients, etc. My hope was to learn if there was some specific trick in part of the card templates that I was missing, and the specifics of the attributes that aren't already a part of the template.

For instance, if I do the text coloring from "scratch", what RGB values does it go to and from? I get a lot of different values using my dropper tool. Is 35pt font definitely the standard everyone uses in GIMP or is that just an estimate (or is it just 2 people who use GIMP)? Those are not things I can Google, and I would appreciate any info if it helps me not re-invent the wheel or make egregious errors.

Koga's templates were made in Illustrator, which is vector-based. Gimp handles bit-mapped files if I've read its specs correctly. So the two are not directly compatible.

From what I understand, the free Inkscape program can open those illustrator files as it also is vector based. Not sure if you've tried it.

As far as all the different font sizes, in Illustrator the baselines for deck cards are:
Header = 23 pt
HP = 35 pt
Keyword = 12 pt
Body Text = 9 pt
Quote Text = 7 / 6 pt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.