Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've known for some time that this is the "last" exapnsion for Sentinels. However, is this really going to be the last expansion or is it the "last" expansion like Guilds was the "last" expansion for Dominion. I ask because the second expansion for Dominion AFTER Guilds was just announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially, it's the last. They've been very explicit about that.

I'll believe it when they go 5 years without releasing anything new for/compatible with Sentinels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this will be the last expansion that coordinates with all the previously released material, and in years to come we'll see a new base set with some tweaks and/or subtly different mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, we know it won't be the last expansion because they have said multiple times that a set will be released that contains ALL of the promo cards once the game is done. So unless this is the promo card collection and they just haven't explained that, we've got at least once more set coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Actually, we know it won't be the last expansion because they have said multiple times that a set will be released that contains ALL of the promo cards once the game is done. So unless this is the promo card collection and they just haven't explained that, we've got at least once more set coming.

That's exactly what's happening.

Quote:
On Tuesday, February 9th, we will be launching a Kickstarter for Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon. That Kickstarter will also include other amazing things, such as:

Ultimate Hero Variant Pack - all of the hero promo cards EVER with all new art!

Limited Edition 5th Anniversary Foil Variant Pack - all of the hero promo cards ever with all new art in FOIL!

The Ultimate Collector’s Case - a really slick storage solution that will hold ALL of the Sentinels of the Multiverse products!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 days has never seemed so far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Minnen
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this kickstarter!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
jcb231 wrote:

That's exactly what's happening.

Quote:
On Tuesday, February 9th, we will be launching a Kickstarter for Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon. That Kickstarter will also include other amazing things, such as:

Ultimate Hero Variant Pack - all of the hero promo cards EVER with all new art!

Limited Edition 5th Anniversary Foil Variant Pack - all of the hero promo cards ever with all new art in FOIL!

The Ultimate Collector’s Case - a really slick storage solution that will hold ALL of the Sentinels of the Multiverse products!

We were told that there would be a variant pack made available to everyone that hadn't been able to get the cards through kickstarter. Making that pack a kickstarter bonus seems to defeat the purpose.

Oh well, thanks for the reply though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a kickstarter bonus... Did you read the link? They're kickstarting several different products at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
It's not a kickstarter bonus... Did you read the link? They're kickstarting several different products at once.

It says it is included in the oblivion kickstarter.

But regardless, the developer confirmed in another thread that the promo cards will hit brick and mortar stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Asmor wrote:

But regardless, the developer confirmed in another thread that the promo cards will hit brick and mortar stores.

The foil version will probably be Kickstarter exclusive though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
Asmor wrote:

The foil version will probably be Kickstarter exclusive though.

yes and no. they are only printing enough to cover kickstarter and a few others, but they will not hit brick and mortar or FLGS, they will be given away at auctions and charities. so while it's not exclusively kickstarter, it will be extremely limited outside of it. The foil version anyway.

the promo variant pack will be released to general public much like the hero/villain.environment mini expansions were in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure what they're going to do, but no amount of "official" statements will convince me that they are done with SotM. There is just WAY too much money on the table still.

My thought: the new KS says something along the lines of "whoever wins, the multiverse was finished." So I'm expecting some new set like "Sentinels of the Universe" or something like that.

Besides, we know there's more characters and story to explore: all the Sentinel Tactics stuff occurs after Oblivaeon (and Tactics doesn't sell nearly as well as the card game).

And their RPG will never sell as well as a board or card game will; the market just isn't large enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drkrash wrote:

And their RPG will never sell as well as a board or card game will; the market just isn't large enough.

Whoa whoa, your logic has no place here. There are at least 12 people who want the RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for the RPG. I actually know a couple of the guys working on it. They're good at what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Whoa whoa, your logic has no place here. There are at least 12 people who want the RPG.

Personally, *I* want the RPG, but I mostly want it to be the Story Bible we've never received. That alone would justify a purchase for me.

But I've read that the system will be along the lines of MWP's Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, which I am simply too old-school to appreciate.

The designers may be good at what they do (I'm a successful RPG designer myself), but they don't seem to be designing for me. Which is fine, of course.

The problem with the RPG market is that it's mostly PDF-driven, and if they use that model, there will be 100 pirated copies for every one they sell. No one publishes RPGs to actually make money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drkrash wrote:

The problem with the RPG market is that it's mostly PDF-driven, and if they use that model, there will be 100 pirated copies for every one they sell. No one publishes RPGs to actually make money.

I suspect we will hear news of a 2nd Edition or a re-theme of the Sentinels card game a year or so after Oblivaeon ships. It's their main seller so it would be foolish to completely cease the card game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drkrash wrote:
The problem with the RPG market is that it's mostly PDF-driven, and if they use that model, there will be 100 pirated copies for every one they sell.

You're implying that piracy leads to fewer overall sales. That is not demonstrably true, and there are plenty of arguments for why piracy might actually increase sales (e.g. generating additional exposure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
drkrash wrote:
The problem with the RPG market is that it's mostly PDF-driven, and if they use that model, there will be 100 pirated copies for every one they sell.

You're implying that piracy leads to fewer overall sales. That is not demonstrably true, and there are plenty of arguments for why piracy might actually increase sales (e.g. generating additional exposure).

It's not demonstrably false, either. It's certainly annoying as hell.

But to concede your point, I do know that, despite finding literally thousands of illegal downloads of my own games, they still sell.

My more important point, though, is just that the RPG market is never, ever going to generate the revenue that a successful board game will. Saying that the Sentinels brand will be adequately satisfied with the 12 people who are going to be excited by an RPG and the 12 other people who play a modestly-interesting mini tactics game is going to necessitate a change in the way GtG does things. Just my very uneducated 2 cents.

(And just to state another point: I want nothing but huge awesome success for GtG, no matter what they do. But I still want more of my absolute favorite game also.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drkrash wrote:
Asmor wrote:
drkrash wrote:

It's not demonstrably false, either. It's certainly annoying as hell.

But to concede your point, I do know that, despite finding literally thousands of illegal downloads of my own games, they still sell.

My more important point, though, is just that the RPG market is never, ever going to generate the revenue that a successful board game will. Saying that the Sentinels brand will be adequately satisfied with the 12 people who are going to be excited by an RPG and the 12 other people who play a modestly-interesting mini tactics game is going to necessitate a change in the way GtG does things. Just my very uneducated 2 cents.

(And just to state another point: I want nothing but huge awesome success for GtG, no matter what they do. But I still want more of my absolute favorite game also.)

Why don't you try telling that to Wizards of the Coast and Paizo? Last time I checked, both D&D and Pathfinder generate far more revenue than just about any board game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Why don't you try telling that to Wizards of the Coast and Paizo? Last time I checked, both D&D and Pathfinder generate far more revenue than just about any board game out there.

Do you have a source for that? I'd imagine that all of the major euros are more valuable (Catan, TTR, Carcasonne, etc), not to mention the classic family games (Monopoly, Risk, et al).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

Do you have a source for that? I'd imagine that all of the major euros are more valuable (Catan, TTR, Carcasonne, etc), not to mention the classic family games (Monopoly, Risk, et al).

That's why I said "just about". And we're talking about SotM here, not a mass market game like Monopoly. No matter how popular it is, do you really think it approaches D&D in sales in any way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

Yeah, I agree, Ian. First, I don't believe that D&D or Pathfinder make more than, say, Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Second, even if those two games *were* that successful, that's an apples and oranges comparison. The SotM RPG would not be in the same category. I guess you *might* be able to use FFG's RPGs as a point of similarity (maybe), but even there, I am confident that their board games generate far more revenue than their RPGs.

Also, to not stray too far from the point of the thread: GtG has said this is the end of the SotM line. I re-iterate that I don't believe it is the end of the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Asmor wrote:
motoyugota wrote:

That's why I said "just about". And we're talking about SotM here, not a mass market game like Monopoly. No matter how popular it is, do you really think it approaches D&D in sales in any way?

Yes, I do. Hasbro has been pushing the D&D IP on to other things like board games and video games for the specific reason that the game doesn't make money like other toys and games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drkrash wrote:
Hasbro has been pushing the D&D IP on to other things like board games and video games for the specific reason that the game doesn't make money like other toys and games.
[citation required]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.